586,133 active members*
2,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Memory

Page 1 of 2 12

Memory

Ok, I'll begin by saying I'm no Fanuc expert.
    I own a Bridgeport VMC1000 with Fanuc 18i-M controls.
    I'm having trouble with disappearing memory. I program in the Gcode, run it, make the part, and then once done with that code, I move on to making another part with different Gcode. My problem is I can see that the memory is shrinking badly, as though the 1st program was still present in memory.
    Is it necessary to take some extra steps to clear the memory each time you want to run new code? Should I be deleting the first Gcode before writing another program?
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

If you are writing your g code by hand and using canned cycles and/or macros where posible, the 18i should have the max memory ability. If you are using a program to write your programs, one program can use all the memory (depending on the complexity). You may even have to DNC the program. Even for a program that writtten by hand may be only fifty lines. Your best bet is to save all of your programs (after proofing) back to your computer for backup and keep the ones you repeat in the machine. If you need to store more memory in the machine, Fanuc probably has boards with larger memory.

This is a known issue of the Fanuc 18 and pro series controls. Un-fortunately I have heard of no real solution for the issue.

What I surmise is happening is that the control does not properly recover memory pages when they are vacated between active memory pages; that memory just disappears. The only way to get it back is to store all memory data, programs, pitch data, parameter data, tool data, re-initialize the memory and then restore the data. You will need to manually enter the communication parameters before you will be able to restore the rest of the control parameter data,

If my suspicion is correct, you could try to never load a new program without first deleting the all of the non-permanent programs and always delete the programs in a lIFO, last in first out pattern. Never add a new permanent program when there are still non-permanent programs still in the control. Our machines are on a cell controller that adds and deletes the program based upon production need so there is no way for us to fix our controls, just need to re-initialize the memory every 6 months to a year.

Ok, I understand. What you are both telling me is that even though I delete the unwanted temporary programs, the controller will never recover the memory used by that program? So I basically need to backup to a computer and delete all programs in the controller memory, reinitialize the memory and then transfer the permanent programs back in along with all parameters and tool offsets etc....
    This seems like so much work to eliminate programs that are basically just sitting there and will probably never be used. Did Fanuc ever have a work around this?
    To add 1MB of memory is like $1400 bucks. Presently not an option.
    What about the code 3202 in parameters to clear corrupt memory? Ever hear of it?

Honestly I think you're better to upgrade the system, why the antique controller?
    If you run servos switch to a PC with Galil controls, Gecko has a servo drive too if you want a less expensive alternative.
    If you're running steppers Gecko is the way to go.
    Software is simple, either EMC or Mach3 will do the job, and you'll never need to worry about memory again.

18i will out perform any geko system. Its not that old of a control.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Isn't the 18i from 94?

Also Galil works as a good controller, just pricy; how does the 18i out perform Gecko by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    18i will out perform any geko system. Its not that old of a control.

Let's see, 18i would have alpha series motors and drives, 1000-10000 count probably absolute encoders,. The drive system is complete!y programmable through the controller, multiple acc/Dec tuning, programmable torque curves, high speed machining options available, and is a industry standard. Mach3 is a toy. Its great for hobby machines, but every one I've seen does not run as smooth or as reliable as a 18i will.

The problem with disappearing memory exist because of how the 18i stores memory. On some of the machines the builder thought is would be a neat thing if they hid some things. They used things normally available for the programmer and locked it up for their own ideas of machining. This often corrupted several things they did not understand.

Many of the machine builders did this. Bridgeport was one of them. When they tied up with Hardinge, they didn't help themselves. As with most machine builders, they wanted a unique system so you would repeat buying from them because that is what you were knew. They took a good thing and -----. The 18i belongs to GE Fanuc and is one of the best. I would call GE Fanuc and let them solve the problem over the phone.

GE Fanuc is gone, Fanuc America is handling all the GE Fanuc stuff now.

So you're saying that my Duel Core PC isn't as good as the 18i?
    The PC can handle a 10000 count encoder or more and I can program the Computer to handle whatever I like, it's easier, it beats a PLC any day specially something 20-years old, besides I also noted EMC for software and Galil for control; Galil has a PLC like your 18i does so you can program it directly too.
    What is the crystal oscillating at on that 18i, what is the baud-rate and processing ability... It's an old computer built for that one machine, it has limited RAM, memory, and speed, how can you say that something like that is better than the average computer today?
    Also the Proprietary software used for your GUI is most likely Linux.... like EMC.

Back to Japan again? Did Fanuc USA keep the Microsoft version?

Its no Linux like I've ever seen. If you have never run one, how can you compare? The motion feedback is fiber optic to the Control and has much tighter motion feedback than you can get with a PC unless your running something really high end like Delta Tau. The plc function on a Fanuc runs on a separate processor, in the PMC side and is only for machine interface, not so much motion control. I would certainly put the 18i against your dual core for block processing speed, since the 18i is not running a separate operating system then a motion control system, and a PLC watchdog all with the same processor.

You can add more memory, that will give you a longer period of time before the memory needs to be re-initialized; also it will be re-initialized when new memory is added.
    If there were an easy answer we would have it by now. Fanuc isn't going to replace the tens of thousands of old controls they have out there that do this.

I don't think the problem is with the permanent programs in the control; however, re-initialization removes everything and it starts clean again. You can try to be very careful not to delete programs except in LIFO order; last program in must be deleted before the previous on and so on. I am guessing that this will prevent it from happening though I am not certain. I also think that deleting all non permanent programs before loading another set regardless of order may stop the memory loss; but geez here I am talking about solutions to memory loss when I have no solution for my own memory loss.

Ok, I understand. On Monday, I will reinitialize the memory, and hope I don`t F*** up anything. Fanuc gets expensive just saying the name.
    As for crob09 I appreciate your input, I have a retrofitted mill that runs Mach3 and is super reliable + accurate, but their absolutely is no comparison to the 18i.
    Matter of fact, I`m not even going to start.
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by psharp1 View Post
    Back to Japan again? Did Fanuc USA keep the Microsoft version?
    You mean the open control? They both had the Open for a long time, and yes you can still get the PC front end, like the 310i. In fact a lot of new machines like the Mori's come with it and an embedded Xp HMI.

One thing to consider, is to first purchase a flash memory module like the Fanuc technician uses. Then document the process of uploading the program, parameters, pitch, tool offsets, etc..it is much faster; the whole process is far less painful. I've been there and and done that myself, even while working with the technician on the phone; he failed to understand that this machine had a separate tool loader control that shared and stored it's parameters in the same memory, we were down for over a week; a hard lesson learned. I have re-loaded from a PC as well; plan for a day of down time.

Your 18i should have a memory card slot next to the screen. I'd get a ATA flash card and do a SRAM backup before playing around.

Be sure if you purge the memory and reinitialize it, you actually saved the hidden parameters and diagnostics. Also the hidden programs that Bridgport put in. These do not just download. There is a special way to do this.

On most of the GE Fanuc (Microsoft versions)(10 and up), there is a way to pull down the current program and have a Microsoft screen. Some even have keyboard access. The Japanese version started with Basic for their programs. The GE version started with Microsoft Basic. These are converted to 1s & 0s in the controller. The hardware is where your precision comes in.

All of the memory slots do not use the same card. A friend of mine has machines that use three different cards. The factory rep didn't know that until I pointed it out. This is a builder thing.

But then you probably already know this.

There are refurbish shops out there for boards. They can find out what is wrong with yours, fix it (if something is wrong) and even put more memory on board.

A lot of them are hungry this time of year so you could get a real bargan.

I would contact one of the online shops, explain the problem, & get an estimate so you know where you are comming from.

Some of them do software fixes too.

Page 1 of 2 12