586,366 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCadCam V21 Boolean Difference help

BobCadCam V21 Boolean Difference help

I've been browsing these forums for a while, learned tons of info and would like to say thanks to everyone. I've successfully milled a few miniature parts using BCC.

I've finally run into a snag that has me pulling my hair out over the past week with what I thought would be a simple task. I'm attempting to create a two part mold, essentially wanting boolean difference this part in half and pocket it so I can do some casting, but running into complications

I'm getting a "Error with boolean operation" message with no further explanation.

I even tried to do the same operation with just one small piece, and it failed also. If anything stands out on what I'm doing wrong please let me know. I've been working with CAD/CAM for the past year or so off and on.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crank-boolean.jpg   crankpin.jpg   crankrender.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unhappy Something Funky Going On!

Hey Kris;
    I attempted the boolean subtract from your drawings in version 21 but didn't get anywhere (I haven't used 21 is a couple of years). However, I then opened it in version 24 and for the heck of it, did a unstitch of the crank and restitched it back to a solid (soimetimes this helps). When I did that, one of the small cylinders on the crank itself dissappeared. I don't have a clue. I do know that everytime I attempt a boolean subtract in version 24 it crashes.
    Maybe Burrman will jump in here and enlighten us. You may also want to post on the bobcad forum.
    I too would like the answer to this one before it bites me.
    Sorry I couldn't help more and good luck.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

You have a bad surface. This is why the file will not Boolean.

The problem you have with this file has to do with the .1574 Diameter cylinder that connects the crankpin . It's diameter is slightly larger then the width of the crankpin. So when you do your union the model is not removing all the internal surfaces.

1) Make the crakpin slightly larger then width as to allow the cylinder intersection to be inside of the width

2) Make the .1574 cylinder slight smaller to allow it to say inside of the width of the crakpin.

I am not sure with width is the right term to use here. So if you look closely at the intersection between the .1574 cylinder and the crakpin you'll see the edge of the cylinder hangs out slightly. This is what you want to avoid,

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll recreate the surfaces on the counterbalance, I didn't realize the cylinder was a different size.

I'll keep everyone updated on the results.