586,396 active members*
2,985 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Coil Winder

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, and new to CNC construction. I run a CNC at work, and have some training in MasterCam, but I have very limited experience on the building aspect.

I'm looking to build my first CNC, a coil winding machine for electric guitar pickups. I'm having trouble settling on the components to use, and I'm not sure I have a firm grasp on all the parts that will be needed. I plan on running Mach3 on a laptop. I'm not too concerned with the specs of each of these parts yet, I'm just trying to varify what is needed. Here's what I got so far...

1. Steppers -- (1) for the spindle, (1) for the z traverse
    2. Linear Bearings -- (2) for z traverse
    3. Ball Screw -- (1) z traverse
    4. Shaft coupler -- (1) z traverse
    5. Smooth Stepper -- for usb laptop control
    6. Mach3
    7. Pendant (such as iMach's Pendant) -- for manual control of z (and spindle speed?)
    8. Counter for spindle (iMach Spindle Tach)

I would like two important features on this CNC.

1. Manual control of both spindle and traverse.
    2. Ability of the CNC to copy these moves (Mach3 copycat or jcode?)

If there is anything I'm leaving out, or suggestions for these parts I'd love to hear about them. I'm wanting to get started, but just need a little more confidence before I start buying parts and software.

Thanks,
    Jeff

For your 'Z' axis you can save your self money and time by using a 'linear stepper'. It will combine your motor, ball screw and linear rails all in one unit. all you need to do is add an 'eye' for a wire guide and your good to go.

Some links;

Permanent Magnet Captive

Stepper Motor Linear Actuators

Some of the surplus electronics places carry them too, like Allelectronics; All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices

The last ones I bought were from Ebay.

Thanks Packrat,

Definately interested, but being new to it all, I can't see how they work. Where's the linear motion? Where would you mount the wire guide?

Thanks,
    Jeff

On a regular stepper motor when the correct sequence of electric signals is given the shaft turns.

On these linear steppers the shaft is a precise threaded rod that will move in or out. The turning part is inside the motor, and is actually a precise nut to fit the threaded 'shaft'. As the signals are given the internal nut turns moving the shaft in or out depending on the signal from the controller.

The linear stepper would be mounted to a bracket in front of the coil spindle. And parallel to the spindle axis. The end of the linear motor shaft has a machine screw thread on it, and the wire guide eye would thread on to that and use a lock nut to hold it in position.

The linear motors are capable of less than .001" resolution. So a program can be written to make it move the correct amount for the wire diameter and the width of the coil. Hope this helps to clarify what I mean.

Thanks for clarifying, I understand now. Sounds like a great choice I'll look into it.

Jeff

This came up today on one of the other forums that I am on, and thought of your project so here's the link; Automatic Coil Winder

He built it from plywood but the idea is easy to modify to aluminum or what ever. The linear stepper would work with this basic idea also. Plus there is a link to the code to figure the winding.

Hope it helps, cary