586,688 active members*
2,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need to convert DC-K40III

I need to know how to covert my DC-k40III so it will run gcode instead of being forced into using newlydraw or newlycut. It has stepper motors for the x and y but I have know idea of how the laser is triggered. I know I will have to replace the controller board but have no idea what I need to buy.

Is there a how to convert these Chinese imports somewhere here in the forums? Surly it has been done.

Thanks,

We sell a direct upgrade to RetinaEngrave USB which is a superior laser cutting program that turns your laser into a printer so it cuts from any program that prints (CorelDraw/AutoCad/Adobe Illustrator/MS Word/Paint/Photoshop/etc): Full Spectrum Engineering

If you want to run EMC2 or Mach3 then we sell a lower cost version that replaces the motor drivers and allows you to run these programs also.

We make direct replacements with the same connectors which means the only thing involved is unplugging a few cables and plugging the new ones in.

Enter to win a free 40w deluxe laser: Full Spectrum Laser LLC

While researching building my own CNC laser I ran across a couple of web sites that the owner (private/hobby) had converted their Chinese Laser cutters to allow them to be usable for their own use. Basically they gutted the electronics and replaced them with more conventional/friendly electronics. Like the ones used in building your own CNC machine. For the laser triggering, that would depend on the laser it uses and the software you plan on driving your CNC/laser machine with.

I hope someone else here can be of more assistance. The available options and technology seem to be extensive.

Thanks. that is what I am looking for. Some instruction on how to gut their electronics and put in a more conventional controller that I can run off gcode.

It will be a lot easier to go with the FSE solution, either with their custom software or just the drop in replacement card that you can drive with Mach, EMC etc.

Zax.

You've probably run across these already, but here are some links to others that have done conversions;

Modifications
    CO2 laser cutter

and the absolute best place to checkout is Bart's forum;

buildlog.net - CNC Laser Buildlogs
    Buildlog.Net Blog

Zax.

Hi
    What you really need is:
    2x stepper driver for instance Leadshine M325 or better DM422C (up to 60usd/pc)
    1x optoisolated Parallel Port Breakout Board (20-50 usd)
    1x software like Mach 2/3, LinkMotion (200-400 usd)
    Some electricall skill.
    That is all.