586,805 active members*
8,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to buy plastic material

Receiving my desktop cnc in two weeks. Need to get some plastic material to start testing. Any suggestions for getting plastic blocks?
    Of course I will use foam first.

You didn't specify what kind of plastic, but here's a supplier that's been mentioned around here several times-- Your Source For Plastic Sheet, Slab, Rod and Tube. 866-832-9315
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Thanks. Truly green in CNC, planning parts for robotics. Maybe ABS. Need to do homework on materials.

Just looked at the price, wow. it is nothing for prototyping.

Have you considered machinable wax? Here's a supplier: Machinable Wax

If you don't need big, full sheets, some plastics suppliers will sell you their scrap by the pound. That's how I get mine, and it's so cheap that I've been able to experiment with different types, colors, and thicknesses of acrylics that I never would have otherwise. I usually use 15" to 24" pieces. If that's big enough, you might call your local places to see.

Quote Originally Posted by bonmotwang View Post
    Receiving my desktop cnc in two weeks. Need to get some plastic material to start testing. Any suggestions for getting plastic blocks?
    Of course I will use foam first.
    I recently tried using Trex (recycled material used for decks/patios) and it machines great. It is very expensive to purchase but if you can find scraps from a contractor or buddy building a deck it works great.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by sirkossorg View Post
    If you don't need big, full sheets, some plastics suppliers will sell you their scrap by the pound. That's how I get mine, and it's so cheap that I've been able to experiment with different types, colors, and thicknesses of acrylics that I never would have otherwise. I usually use 15" to 24" pieces. If that's big enough, you might call your local places to see.
    Thanks, that's a better solution for my prototyping purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Have you considered machinable wax? Here's a supplier: Machinable Wax
    Great and thanks, I got 10 blocks ordered.

Here is one I have used

Quote Originally Posted by sirkossorg View Post
    Great source for cut pieces at: High-Tech Plastics
    They have weird remnants of lots of different plastics in little pieces. Did it all online, took about 3 - 4 days to get. Great email communication, but no phone.

Tech polymeres are not that cheap as you would possibly assume..

About the prices ...

from cheaper to more expensive
    -> choose by application....

Styrene resine plates / hobby glass
    -sharp mill and a bit of coolant low pass depth

Polyurethane modelling board ( Uriol ; Rakutool etc)
    - is to be cut like balsa - but creates a lot of dust

Polycarbonate & PVC
    -Good to work with at moderate passes and speeds

Polyacetal / POM -
    -Good to work with at moderate passes and speeds not to be glued

PBT - good to cut but if reinforced the glass will eat the bit a bit
    - has to be tempered before

Polyamide - good to cut but if reinforced the glass will eat the bit a bit
    - has to be tempered before

PTFE - smooth material - not easy to work with - dust can be poisenous if inhalated or consumed

PEK / PEEK - poly ether ketone - horrible expensive but high temperature reistant

For visual and handling prototypes not field parts I would go for 700 to 800 gram/ DM^3 Uriol or Rakutool -price is around 4 to 5 Euro / dm^3

There are many more, but those are just the materials I use
    Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!

For testing why not grab some pink or blue or green sheet insulation from your local home improvement store? I see you are in Canada so the local HD , or Revy will have it. MDF is also an alternative. Don't forget to put a spoil board down. That what you have some room for error. Good luck. It takes time to get things working the way you expect so save the good material till you have tamed the beast?
    Dave

Try here, at Scope. They specialize in plastic materials among other things.

A metals place?

Hey shuniata,
    I have tried several metal places over the years (E.J. Brooks, Jorgenson Steel, Metal & Brass, etc.). Each time I have tried one of these places I am disappointed. They have basic knowledge, but no technical expertise at all. And the inventory they have has been weak at best.
    I have bought from 3 places over the last 2 years, and each time they have all done well. They are 'plastic' places. They specialize in the stuff we all use, and have also been referenced several times on CNCZone(group).
    High Tech Plastics @ www.hightechplastics.com - they have a load of cut pieces that are really cheap.
    Industrial Plastic @ www.iplasticsupply.com - great selection and expert people on the phone.
    And, Plastic Depot @ www.Plasticdepot.com - small place near me - easy to pick up.

I am a bit of a purist I guess. I call a metals place for metals, and machine supply place for my machines. Just seems like the right thing to do, call a plastic place for plastics.
    I'm just sayin