586,576 active members*
3,538 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My HF Mini-Mill Setup

New here, but I just finished my CNC conversion and thought I'd share.

Motors and control board from Xylotex (board just fried itself this morning.. (chair) So I have to replace it somehow.. fast.

Man, I thought my bench was cluttered. LOL! Good Job! How did you convert your Z-axis? Might want to get a vacuum and put a few chip guards up because that stuff goes everywhere. Congrats!

Nice conversion! How did your board fry?
    Looks like a pretty big cutter you are taking to that alu, how is the performance on that with those direct drive motors? I am looking at the same setup myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat
    Nice conversion! How did your board fry?
    Looks like a pretty big cutter you are taking to that alu, how is the performance on that with those direct drive motors? I am looking at the same setup myself.
    3/4" endmill, real shallow passes.

Not sure what happened to the board. Working fine when I shut down the night before. Came out the next morning to get back to work, and I got nothing. Shut everything back down, opened up my board chassis, and it smelled like burned IC. I'm in the processes of making new boards myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyolddo
    Man, I thought my bench was cluttered. LOL! Good Job! How did you convert your Z-axis? Might want to get a vacuum and put a few chip guards up because that stuff goes everywhere. Congrats!
    Yeah, my bench is fairly cluttered. Along with the CNC conversion, I've got about 50 other things going on, and I'm real tight on space. The chips in the picture are just from that days work, they get vacuumed every night. Once I've got the mill back up and running, I'm building a Lexan case to sit over the mill so I can collect the chips and re-cast them for other stuff.

Looks like you have a lot going on in a little space. What O/S and software are you running?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpeet
    Looks like you have a lot going on in a little space. What O/S and software are you running?
    Thanks
    Windows XP and Mach2 on the laptop.

How do you have your z-axis set up?

Jon