586,489 active members*
2,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

RFQ for Race Parts

We are a start up in Atlanta, GA looking for an RFQ on several part designs (solid works). Some drawings are in Solid Works, some are not. Prefer machinist with CAD capability (regardless of software type).

Require sample of each part for fitment. Drawings provided upon request. Parts 1 and 2 are high priority. Please respond to [email protected]

Parts/Quantity
    1. Brass Bushings - .3", quantity total 500 units
    2. Aluminum Throttle Body Adapter Plates - quantity 25 units
    3. Control Arm Spacers - quantity, 100 units
    4. Header Manifold Flanges - quantity, 50 units
    5. Relocation Brackets - quantity - 25 units

Future Projects:
    1. Plenum and Intake Runners
    2. Panhard Rod install kits
    3. Lower Control Arms

parts

Hello, sent you a E-mail

Thanks Skip - our replies have been sent. We look forward to doing business

Quote Originally Posted by 2j-racing View Post
    Require sample of each part for fitment.
    Really? For free? Or do you expect to pay for the first article parts?

Sorry to seem paranoid but, it wouldn't be the first time somebody got scammed on here--machine shop OR customer. This looks like a great way to get a machine shop to fab a bunch of parts for a cheap (or no) price, then say, "sorry, we decided against it."
    Greg

Sent you a private message, thanks Joe.
    Tuson enterprises

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Really? For free? Or do you expect to pay for the first article parts?

Sorry to seem paranoid but, it wouldn't be the first time somebody got scammed on here--machine shop OR customer. This looks like a great way to get a machine shop to fab a bunch of parts for a cheap (or no) price, then say, "sorry, we decided against it."
    Please excuse yourself from this thread.

Thanks for the responses and PMs, each one of you should have received our reply.

2J-Racing

Quote Originally Posted by 2j-racing View Post
    Please excuse yourself from this thread.
    I said sorry in advance. Based on your response, I wouldn't deal with you.
    Greg

Just sent a email to you, and send your drawings to us, we will quote for you . we are specilize in metal and plastic parts manufaturing. using my name to search our website, you will get more details via our website or to contact us to know about us more.

Thanks all : )

Ks of S I L

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    I said sorry in advance. Based on your response, I wouldn't deal with you.
    Don't worry Greg,

I was tempted to throw my Co's hat into the ring

FAV's for free, that's a joke
    Think of the expense invovled just to get the 1st part done. Wait for approval that their designs were correct, then re-tool the machine to start the order. The 1st article could be done perfect to drawing, but you still wouldn't be paid for it

You would be at-call doing thier prototyping

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Don't worry Greg,

I was tempted to throw my Co's hat into the ring

FAV's for free, that's a joke
    Think of the expense invovled just to get the 1st part done. Wait for approval that their designs were correct, then re-tool the machine to start the order. The 1st article could be done perfect to drawing, but you still wouldn't be paid for it

You would be at-call doing thier prototyping
    You were tempted or you weren't?

I agree that a prototype shouldn't be given for free. If a prototype is wanted then an upfront fee with an option to buy more at a given discounted price.

Quote Originally Posted by MBG View Post
    You were tempted or you weren't?
    I'm the senior CNC programmer for my Co,
    and I have taken up the role as an estimater for RFQ's on aerospace, defence, and local components.

I was tempted, so I know how this RFQ system works, and where the major costs are incurred.

Sent an email. Thanks!

I am with Donkey on this one. I think anyone agreeing to those terms would most likely be one of the hacks that frequent these boards. I would make an exception possibly if it was a repeat customer who typically orders parts at prices I can make a good hourly rate on. So you set-up a machine and send a sample, what happens if it doesn't fit? Are you going to tie up a machine for days or a week till you get approval? Would you do the same thing if you were busy? Obviously not, so don't do it when you aren't. Setting unsustainable business practices is bad for you and everyone else.

By coincidence I have a bunch of header flanges for Small Block Chevys, LSxs, Ford mod motors, and Small Block Fords that are cnc machined (not laser cut) so they have much better surface quality, flatness, etc. They are all gasket matched to off the shelf fel pro gaskets. I would assume by your user name youre looking for flanges for Supras and the like which I do not have any of.

If you need any for these motors I am looking to unload them cheap as I have quit selling turbo parts online and am working as a Engineering Tech. If youre interested PM me for my phone number.
    CNC Machinist & Engineering Tech
    B.S.M.E. Student (Graduate 2013 @ UCF)

Prototype Quote

Please send or upload your drawings and we will be happy to send you a quote .

our website is plasticoshoyos.com.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Just curious - My experience is that much of the cost is in first part validation and setup... Is there any "Real" shop that would commit those resources without an order? Seems like a fast way to go out of business unless you have lots of machine and people downtime? - Not criticizing, just curious as most people (customers) don't understand the cost of running a machine shop.

I got your email but I was not able to open or view your files.

Please send the files again.

Linda
    Plasticoshoyos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spinnetti View Post
    Just curious - My experience is that much of the cost is in first part validation and setup... Is there any "Real" shop that would commit those resources without an order? Seems like a fast way to go out of business unless you have lots of machine and people downtime? - Not criticizing, just curious as most people (customers) don't understand the cost of running a machine shop.
    A lot of these people who frequent these boards are so desperate for work they will give everything away that isn't actual run time. Ask yourself? How bad must someone be if they have to give their services away? The RFQ poster has no reason to play by the old rules as they don't apply. A lot of people are still racing to the bottom, they won't last, but another hack will soon take their place.

Just a note to original poster. As others have said, it is not typically the machine shops job to provide you with a sample part for checking fitment.

Create a model in your favorite CAD package and on your print you send for RFQ include machining tolerances. It is then the machine shops job to meet those tolerances if they agree to the job. If they can't, you have the right to reject the part. If the shop is within tolerance, there is no reason for you to need a 'sample' part..it is just like the drawing you provided.

If you are not sure that the part you have drawn will even fit, send your model to a rapid prototyping company for a quick one off sample part for testing fitment.

Quote Originally Posted by D_Turner View Post
    Just a note to original poster. As others have said, it is not typically the machine shops job to provide you with a sample part for checking fitment.

Create a model in your favorite CAD package and on your print you send for RFQ include machining tolerances. It is then the machine shops job to meet those tolerances if they agree to the job. If they can't, you have the right to reject the part. If the shop is within tolerance, there is no reason for you to need a 'sample' part..it is just like the drawing you provided.

If you are not sure that the part you have drawn will even fit, send your model to a rapid prototyping company for a quick one off sample part for testing fitment.
    RTP is pretty expensive isn't it? I find that lots of folks not familiar with production are really looking at design validation as much as they are production... They often really need engineering services which would then result in a potential production order. Many time a quote may be an inefficient way to to make a part, and the engineering end helps meet the customers business objectives rather than just making something to print... That's the value add that some shops can deliver, and others can't.. Interesting to see play out on these boards though. People see a part that's dead cheap, and assume you can get to that same point with little capital investment or upfront R&D cost...

Page 1 of 2 12