586,964 active members*
2,358 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 4th/5th axis project with pictures

Hybrid View

4th/5th axis project with pictures

I already have the Tormach 6" 4th axis so this project was one of those things that did not really need to be done , but when has that ever stopped us !
    I had a nice tilting dividing head that has been sitting on the shelf ever since I got the Tormach. I do a repeating job that needs the 4th axis turned 90 degrees and had always done it with this dividing head on my manual mill so I guess it was time to motorize it.

The conversion was pretty straight forward and easier than I expected. It turned out that all I needed to make was a simple adapter plate and use the existing stepper mount with slight modification ( shorten ) I ordered the stepper and coupler and mount from Tormach. I did not want to canabilize my other 4th axis.

The only problem with this setup is that this unit is 40:1 and the Tormach unit is 90:1 so I had to change the motor tuning for accurate rotation.
    But that leaves the door open for the next project......5th axis !

Here are some pictures and a short video

Link to Video

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010001.jpg   P1010002.jpg   P1010004.jpg   P1010005.JPG  

P1010006.JPG  
    www.sdmfabricating.com

NICE!!!

that there is pretty cool man, nice work... Now if you can just figure out a way to automate that tilt feature you would REALLY have something cool. Or is that what you are alluding to.... How do you find the backlash of that dividing head for the motor? Did you do any internal adjustment or run it with some lapping compound to get the backlash down? Should be really nice when you get it ready. Oh yeah and you might also paint it with some of the nice Tormach grey/white color. Nice work..... peace

Pete

Thanks Pete

The head has quite a bit of internal adjustments, the worm gear can be raised and lowered to adjust mesh depth and the worm also has a variable pitch that can be moved in and out with shims to take up any wear on the bronze gear it meshes with. I played with all of these adjustments and got it near zero backlash but the stepper would miss steps in one direction. ( just a touch too tight ) I loosened it up and it runs both directions without lost steps and just a perceptible amount of backlash. All in all I am pretty happy.
    Believe me I have given a lot of thought to motorizing the tilt. I really meant that the 5th axis would be "B" just so I do not have to always change the motor tuning between "A" & "B". But that will give me the option of running a Trunnion table or motorizing the tilt.
    I have had several discussions with Greg Jackson at Tormach and he kindly sent me some electrical schematics for the needed extras for a 5th axis. I just upgraded my Series 1 drivers to the new Series 2 so I have the faster rapids and now have some extra stepper drivers which will work fine for "A" & "B"
    Now I need
    another breakout board and a small 12V power supply
    another DC Bus board
    another panel mount din connector
    and another parallel port card for the computer.

Sounds like fun

I will post when I do it

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Sounds good man...

And in the words of Captain Piccard: Make it so number one.... !! peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    I just upgraded my Series 1 drivers to the new Series 2 so I have the faster rapids
    this is something that i have wanted to do. did you use tormach drivers?

Nice job Scott, can't wait to see more !

4th/5th axis project with pictures

Scott:
    I sent you a private message a couple of days ago. Please check your messages.

Yes I did.
    When I get all the other electronics in the case I will add a fan. I will have to do a non-standard install to get good flow over my drivers. I put all 3 on one side to leave room on the other side for additional electronics.

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000991.jpg  
    www.sdmfabricating.com

What's the word on adding a 5th axis to this system? I didn't purchase their system because they said the machine wasn't physically capable of the 5th axis. Which pretty much meant I would have to gut the electronics to add a 5th axis.

I'm looking into the Novakon system because they have the ability to add the 5th axis without issues. Plus their machine has a bigger work area.

I like the Tormach system with the lathe. However, from talking with their tech's, the lathe wouldn't do what I'm wanting to do.

Now that I've got a separate lathe, I need to look at these machines again. I"ll be following this thread. That 5th axis ability is important to me. I want a trunnion table with that 5th axis.

No gutting necessary. Adding parts yes. The 1100 as received is not capable of 5 axis support. The main control board and DC bus board only support 4 axis. And all of the inputs on the parallel port are used, so an additional breakout board , DC bus board and parallel port need to be added. There is room in the cabinet for it and Mach 3 supports 5 axis so it is doable. I am sure it will void the warranty but mine expired years ago.
    Tormach is a very forward thinking company and may possibly offer a 5 axis upgrade kit in the future. ( speculation ) They did show a Trunion table prototype a while back and may be working on that as well.
    It may not be officially supported ( yet ) but it is capable with some modification.
    I am in the middle of a couple of big projects and it will be at least a month before I get to the rest of this, But I will be doing it !

Stay tuned

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com