586,138 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 4th axis programing

4th axis programing

Hi everyone , i have been using mastercam for quite sometime I know how program in 3d, but the company that i now work wants me to program in 4 using a 4th axis , i have spent alot of time trying to figure this out on my own, i do the design in solidworks then bring the file into mastercam x5, I need to have the part index on the rotary axis to cut features on 4 sides.

thanks in advance
    J little

What's your question?

Frederic

when you are writing the tool paths and you are switching between the sides do you keep the same work offset then shift the work in a0.0 to start then rotating the workpiece to a90.0 and son on.

Really depends, If your working on the COR (center of rotation) you can use one offset, and let the cam system post out the A commands, Ex. 1 tool does all 4 parts or however many then changes tools, be sure your clearance plane is enough to let rotary turn and not crash into your parts. I usually send Z home. Or another way is use 4 offets and then you manually set A0,A90,A180,A270, whatever your doing. Same with the clearance plane. Probably need alittle bit more info out of you to point you in the right direction.. Production run? or just a few parts? Just some insight, hope it helps

If you shift your tool plane without changing your WCS, then you will get A and B axis movements when you post your gcode.

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    If you shift your tool plane without changing your WCS, then you will get A and B axis movements when you post your gcode.

Frederic
    +1 with Fred

Your WCS is to be used in every op, it sets the rotation datum to zero
    the T & C plane is the index position

If you create a plane that your machine cannot do, it should let you know when posting

Check / read the comments at the top of yout .PST file for how to use and get the correct code.

Hello Friends,

I have same problem like functionbikes. I'am trying to program 4th axis, but something is wrong. Maybe someone can help or give a little or big advice? I have YCM VMC machine with 4th (3+1) index axis. I'll Atach file that Iam trying to do. Maybe someone will look it? Only what works is "Axis substitution option" but I know it's wrong choice, I need That 4 th axis rotate part at needed position. How to do that?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post

Frederic
    Man I love it when I find my answers in others posts. Thanks for the indirect help!

Spoke too soon, I get my A axis moves now but it wants to give each axis position a new offset, (G55, G56, G57 etc.). How do I make That change? I have all the planes set to -1.

Quote Originally Posted by juxtoposed View Post
    Spoke too soon, I get my A axis moves now but it wants to give each axis position a new offset, (G55, G56, G57 etc.). How do I make That change? I have all the planes set to -1.
    set them all to 0

Setting to zero on the plane/view wont help i dont think.

Go to misc values and set "lock on first wcs" on all of your indexed toolpaths.

Ps. Wcs should always be top. Always.

The tool plane and comp/construction plane are set to the plane that you want to index to. By the way a0, in mastercam is to the right of the part from the right side view, NOT the top edge from the Rs view