586,781 active members*
3,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > My Machine's Home just changed by .070 and fixture plates won't work I'm in trouble!!

My Machine's Home just changed by .070 and fixture plates won't work I'm in trouble!!

I ran a program yesterday and noticed that my parts were way off. I measured them to be around .070" in both the X and Y.

I think I know why (I tightened the slop out of the end bearing cap nut on the ball screw).This actually moves the ball screw, thus my shift in machine location.

But now I'm in trouble! I have fixtures made and now my home is in a different spot relative to the fixtures. So... all my programs are off by .070"!! This is bad!

Really there are only 3 programs I'm using right now.

What would be the best solution? I kind of want the offset to be in the original Bobcad.bbcd files and not in the machine controller offset or by changing the GCode files I have.

What's the easiest way to do this?

I realize I could move all the geometry to the new locations. But since there are a lot of CAM routines in the CAMTree of the programs I'm cutting that could take hours and leave room for mistakes. I'd like to avoid that.

OK You need to move your Part Geo by translating with the delta mode.
    Pick all Geo and move in X and Y by .070 Delta translate.
    Then go to the cam window after you do that...right click on Milling tools
    Select Compute all toolpath.
    Then BobCad will recompute. Then you just post that code...its as simple as that..You dont have to change anything in your cam routines.
    If you have anymore probs hit me up.
    Good Luck~!:cheers:

Fix your home position.. Adjust limit switch or whatever it takes.

If you dont want to do that you can use a G92 offset
    Exp: G00 X0.070Y0.070Z0.000
    G92 X0.000Y0.000Z0.000
    (neg. or pos. X & Y depend on what way your home has moved)
    "Then your program starts here"
    Some machines req. you to cancel it at every tool change then recall it so if you choose to try this be careful and do it at everytool change
    Call it up then cancel it before the tool change.
    Just make sure you put a G92 at the start and end of the program so that everytime it rewinds it cancels G92 then recalls it:cheers:.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Circle View Post
    Then BobCad will recompute. Then you just post that code...its as simple as that..You dont have to change anything in your cam routines.
    I will try that. Thanks!

One quick question, won't I need to Reselect every single piece of Geometry one by one if I do it this way?

If so is there an easier way? I know that mistakes are bound to happen if I have to manually re-select every single piece.

Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    One quick question, won't I need to Reselect every single piece of Geometry one by one if I do it this way?

If so is there an easier way? I know that mistakes are bound to happen if I have to manually re-select every single piece.

In BobCad select Translate.
    Make your start point Pick
    Then window selet your part ...all the part geo. on the screen
    Right Click OK
    Then under the translate window make sure it is set to Delta.
    Make sure your start point is set to Pick
    Make your end point X0.070 Y0.070
    Then click ok.
    That will move all of your part geo in the X & Y plane from where it is ...
    to 0.070 off of the old location incrementally.
    Best of Luck~!:cheers:

In BobCad select Translate.
    Make your start point Pick
    Then window selet your part ...all the part geo. on the screen
    Right Click OK
    Then under the translate window make sure it is set to Delta.
    Make sure your start point is set to Pick
    Make your end point X0.070 Y0.070
    Then click ok.
    That will move all of your part geo in the X & Y plane from where it is ...
    to 0.070 off of the old location incrementally.
    Best of Luck~!:cheers:
    Thanks. I understand how to Translate all of this in the CAD but I'm having trouble in the CAM tree. I believe ALL of the Geometry will need to be RE-selected individually before I can move the toolpaths to the new locations, no?

Sorry, dont want to mess up your thread, just looking for clairfication. I have the same issue with not being able to move a part that has a computed toolpath on it. Does he/we need to cancel/delete toolpath first? prior to moving the part? How do you do that without messing up the cam? Thanks E

V23 1812

Just rt/click on the word Geometry...the geometry should highlight....rt/click OK or just hit spacebar to accept.

All paths will need recomputed.

One word of caution>>>>> I have never had good luck with translating defined contours. Even with unblanking all the base geometry, something usually went screwy. So I don't try anymore...just explode, translate, recontour.

This is all based on pre v24.

Also, 777funk....if all your ops are drill/2d, you can just define a newly located UCS.
    (still got to go thru the geo. reselection process)

It doesn't make any sense to avoid adjusting the work offset for your fixture, or multiple work offsets for multiple fixtures. If your fixture already has locating holes that are properly placed in the part, adjusting the position of the model in your cadcam is just going to screw up your part locations on the fixture.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you MM & PC, I got it now, quick and easy, thanks.....!

Hu...he cut his fixture with .07" backlash...until he figures that they're probably junk, I'm thinking this is just an exercise in translating geometry.

(still trying to figure how he's off in X and Y if it was just 1 thrust bearing)

It's possible his home limit switches "zero" the machine very close to a crossover point in the encoder. By adjusting backlash, even just a few thou, it's possible it caused the encoder to home into an adjacent quadrant, causing him to be off by .07".

I had something similar happen on my Mazak mill when I first got it. I had to replace the limit switch on X. When I did this, homing was random. One day my work offsets would be on the money, the next they'd be off by aprox the amount he is seeing. Ended up moving the limit switch slightly to allow the encoder to move past the crossover point by a larger margin.

Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    Thanks. I understand how to Translate all of this in the CAD but I'm having trouble in the CAM tree. I believe ALL of the Geometry will need to be RE-selected individually before I can move the toolpaths to the new locations, no?
    No Just window Select then move all geo .070 exit out of that func.
    Go to the Cam Tree under milling tools right click milling tools ..Compute all toolpath Same as MM's post.
    Best of luck