586,362 active members*
3,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > AC Servo on RF45 Conversion help

AC Servo on RF45 Conversion help

I'm going to convert a RF45 mill to CNC and I want to go with servo motors. I'm looking at The DMM High Torque 3 Axis Kit to use for direct connection. Going off the constant torque of 408oz and it's high 1015oz at only 20A I'm thinking it will work fairly well. The price is right and if I can later go to a closed loop EMC2 setup all the better. I'm waiting to hear back to see if the servo drive in analog mode still needs encoder feedback. I wouldn't think so in which case the encoder feedback would go to the PC and it would control dir and torque. It actually seems almost to good to be true. Limit switches, encoders, drives, servo's, cable's, E-stop, and PP BOB all for $1287.

It is about the most cost effect way to go Servo I can see. No need to make a belt drive setup. Direct Drive is easy to build and very very cost effective.

I just don't want to get it and then still have to go belt drive and in the process have a very slow system do to a reduction of the already slow 1052 RPM motor.

Thank you

Maglin

Yes you are right, there system is the best, in AC servo that is out there for the cost, & also very easy to get running, Direct on your X & Y no problem, I'm not sure about your Z axes, if you have a counter balance/gas shock assist, then the Z would be no problem as well
    Mactec54

Hum... I could go with a belt drive on the Z axis with a 2:1 setup.... I'm pretty sure that is doable in Mach3 and EMC2. I don't need a super fast setup. I'll do more Horizontial finishing than Parallel finishing where rapid Z speeds are a must.

Maglin

I have not done a EMC set up with there system, But Mach3 works very well, I would try it at 1.1 on the Z axes first, & put a gas shock to assist/balance the weight of the head
    Mactec54

Mactec54 I've seen you post about this system. I'm going to guess that you already have this system then running Mach3? I'm very new to this and I'm going to use EMC2 and maybe Mach3 if I have problems running EMC2. In Step/dir mode setup in EMC is a cake walk or should be. Still have to ensure your servo's are tuned but their is some very nice software for that in EMC2.

I was thinking of installing a 150# gas strut on the back like a counterweight and see how that goes. That way I don't add weight and increase inertia but then their is the resistance of the strut, but maybe it won't be all that much compaired to not using one at all.

How hard was it for you to tune the servo's? I've seen with some drive's that tuning in a nightmare and involved a lot of guess work. I'm hoping it's not so much the case here. I read their tuning guide and it didn't really seem to be very informative.

Maglin

I have not done a system with EMC, but should try it,when I have time,With tuning the servos, Dmm has there own software, There is very little to do, as they are already set to run out of the box, I can do it over the phone in less than 5 min, there is no nightmare with this system, with Mach3 any way
    Mactec54