586,461 active members*
5,181 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help parallel port /mach 3 questions

I am trying to use mach3 but i don't seem to any step or dir signals from my parallel port pins .... is there a way i can check that my parallel port is connected to my software .... when i go into my hardware device manager i seem to have several parallel ports , does this matter? and aslo my video card is integrated with my mother board does this make any difference...i have wired the stepper drives as per the pacific science ma6410 manual , that is 5v to the positive step and dir and the negetive step and dir to pins on the parallel port , could some one tell me the settings for the stepper motor outputs should they be active low or active high.. can't get my head around that parts as yet... derkiow

On the diagnostic page of MACH 3 you can see the status of all the pins on the parallel port. If you ground some of the input pins you should be able to see the status change, if your port is talking to the software. Integrated video card should make no difference.

It's possible that the physical parallel socket you're using is not set up in windows to the default address that Mach3 is expecting. Read the Mach 3 manual and you'll see how to look up the address in the Windows device manager and set it in the Mach 3 parameters. If you have several ports in the device manager, you could try each address in turn in the Mach 3 parameters until one of them resonds to the input test described above.

Make sure you enter the correct port address. Watch the setup video at ArtSoft USA - Home of Mach3 and LazyCam it shows you how to find it.

If it's set up correctly, you should be able to measure the voltage on a direction pin while jogging. It should be 5V while jogging one direction, and 0V when jogging the other direction.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank's for the advice Mach3 still not working tried all the mentioned things to do .. Loads up ok driver loads ok , parallel port leds don,t light up ,if you run a gcode sequence it runs fine except no signals to steppers drivers. Has anyone an other ideas or can recommend another cnc control program ,, Derk

have you set the port via bios to epp? dunno if thats necessary...but maybe... it was with my gecko

having the dir hi when its meant to be low just reverses the motor direction... hi one way, low the other. the other way is to swap wires on the motor...

having the step hi when its meant to be low would make the motor run continously? idunno...i havent tried it yet!...hmmmm... seems logical though...

you will also have to verify that the port you are using is the port assigned for mach3...usually default, but not always. read the mach3 manual?

reminding me how lousy my setup instructions were... in the configuration pages.. with the dir and step settings...ensure that you ALSO HAVE PORT1 SELECTED!

it needs to know which port to send signals from... and mach3 supports two parrallel ports i believe..

Tried everything to get mach 3 to work on my pc , i have given up, had enough i going to a build / obtain a pc that will run a linux based cnc controller.. derkiow

i dont see why this is so hard...

its frustrating, yes, but... youve only just started!

this isnt a setback but a lesson waiting to be learnt!

at least i wouldnt stop til i fried the puter... thats me but.

seriously, it is always something majorly simple.

and personally, if you can use linux...WTF is the problem?

look, i just learnt how to take screenshots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mach3 settings.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	126088

now, what im saying is check that those 1's are there. in the two far right columns(step... dir...). this was my first stumbling block with mach3... this is the port it will use to send signals from. it may be 0, it may be 2...depends on how your ports are labelled.

1 is default...

it may be something else altogether causing the teeth to grind, sure.

im just saying dont give in yet...

Thank's for the input ,I've tried all that i can ,followed the video,s and I'm on my third computer , I get good pulse speeds nice flat line , but programme will not output at the parallel ports , my first machine everything worked fine, the next day it would'nt , check the pulse speeds 25009 using the pulse checker driver but on the diagnostic page page pulse was 0009 to 0040 and none of the port pin leds where active and the program would not operate......all the above happened without connecting the drivers to the port. I using pacific science drivers with opto isolators . derk

Well i never i 'got the bugger going , down loaded parmon a little program for checking the parallel port ,, checked all the pins for voltage and operation all ok but still the driver refused to work , so i measured the currents to the driver inputs and guess what not enough current to work the opto isolators on the board so I changed the parallel cable and now working fine .... apologies to mach3 for all the swear words , when in doubt carry on rewardless....derkiow

lol. i knew you'd get there...

after my last post i thought of mentioning change your cable...oh well...

g'luck

hello again ,I,m converting my tos milling machine to cnc ,I am using pacific science stepper motors and pac sci ma6410 drivers with opto isolators and i have installed mach3 as a controller . the problem i have is that the system runs for a while the stop working , what i have found, the step signal to the drive card looses it current , the directional signals seems fine and the parallel port seems to be switching , at first i thought it was the cable so i replaced it and every thing work for a sort time before the same fault reappeared has anyone any ideas on how may resolve this issue..... derk

please help how do i config my automatic tool changer i biuld to operade in mach3 turn my e mail adres [email protected]

please help how do i config my automatic stepper motor tool changer i biuld to operade in mach3 turn my e mail adres [email protected]

Cool

please help how do i config my auto tool changer i build in mach 3 turn
    e mail [email protected]