586,377 active members*
2,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Series 1

first time posting ..... I have a bridgeport series 1 CNC but being used manually that I have a question about milling in regards to the Z axis. When I run repeated passes on a part in either X or Y axis the cuts from pass to pass are not consistant on depth of cut. The Z axis ball screw appears to be tight and my readout display for the linear encoder doesn't show any movement. 10 um resolution. Does anyone know this problem and have a solution for it? Is the quill worn out or the ballscrew have play in it I'm not finding or is the attaching bolt from the yoke to the quill loose? I haven't pulled the ballscrew off to check that bolt. thank you for any suggestions.

Welcome aboard.

I always start with the easy things first and go from there, like if the light don't turn on, is the switch working?

In this case, please don't be offended, is the tool tight in the tool holder?

Is the tool holder tight in the spindle? (is this an R8 spindle?)

Is there a spindle lock you can use?

I'm not familiar with the series I, I own a series II, and an old manual Bridgeport.

Just some easy to check things before you tear the machine down...

Good luck on your quest!

I Under Stand

thanks for the post, I understand where you are coming from. Yes is the answer to those questions. four flute HSS endmill 2 inch LOC in a R8 collet tightened using the brake/lock. Maybe not such a newby afterall just a forgetful one. I had posted here before...oops! Must be the heat!