586,567 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

drill bit set

I bought a cheap full set of drill bits off of ebay, and I learned that if it's cheap it's crap, has anyone tried this set out- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G3658& is it any good, or should I just spend the big bucks for a name brand and if so what?

Paul,
    What I did was buy one of the "cheap" sets (fractional, #, letter) and then I replace the commonly used ones as necessary with "good" drills.
    I found there are several sizes that I use quite often (tap or clearance) and buy these in package quanities.
    I have several that I don't think I have ever used, but when that time comes along, at least I have that size for the project.

My .05
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I have that set... It has served me very well. Like bubba said, when a bit wears out I'll replace it with a high quality replacement. Cause I know that's a bit size that I'll get a ton of use out of. but the occasional oddball bit size comes in handy. I've had good life out of them and most of them run pretty true. the bigger ones > 3/8" seem a little on the shabby side but are serviceable for the most part.
    Nathan

Kodiak has great drills cheap.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    www.kodiakcuttingtools.com

From years of experience in Automation machinery I would have to say that you are better off buying better quality. Maybe not best but certainly near the top of the heap. Take that with a grain of salt though as much of what I work with is Stainless Steel, so poor performing hardware shows up fast. I'd have to suggest though that you won't find an outstanding set of drills from the low cost importers. I can't comment on the set below, haven't used them.

At home though I would suggest that complete sets (115 piece?) might not be the way to go. This you have to evaluate yourself of course, but if you are working on smaller projects just get a set of numbered drills and flesh out what you need from there. On the other hand if you have $$$$$ to spend then....... A small set of metric drills can be extremely usefull also.

The other issue is that, in the smaller sizes, packaged quanities are a smart move. It doesn't take much to break or bend a drill in the smaller sizes, so it pays to have a few in the drawer at any one time. Further I have a hell of a time regrinding the small stuff, so that is a concern also.

I'm not a big fan of E-Bay. There are certianly good bargains there from time to time with name brand hardware, but that is not the norm. Many vendors seem to be focused on hawking junk at the highest possible price.

Better to get on the mailing lists form the more mainstream tooling vendors like MSC, Traver & etc. Travers for instance has drills and drill bits on sale in their latest sale catalog that is good till July 31st. Sets are priced from about $40 to $277 you choose the quality. They also have single sizes in various grades on sale.

Now maybe the lowest grade available is not the greatest, but atleast you can shop manufacture and quality to suit your needs. Often this is impossible on E-Bay unless the vendor has a very verbose online store. This is not the norm though in fact seems to be the opposite. In any event drill bits have probably one of the biggest ratios between price and metal removal capacity and thus productivity. It pays to spend for quality. The one qualifier being that you need to actually use what you buy.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    I bought a cheap full set of drill bits off of ebay, and I learned that if it's cheap it's crap, has anyone tried this set out- http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G3658& is it any good, or should I just spend the big bucks for a name brand and if so what?

IF it is made in china, pitch it out..unless you like to dig out broke drills from holes..I will always buy Chicago Latrobe or Greenfield. I just got a while new set last month, and havent had any kind of trouvble yet.. I normally prefer bright finished drills to black, but latley I have had good luck wit hthe set i have..
    Visit my webpage www.cdignition.com

From my experience the best drill's are made by Guring. Some years ago I had to drill alot of .010 holes on an angle in a part that was a microchip feeder. Guring drills were the only drill bits that didnt give me greif......
    Patrick

how do cheap bits compare to name brand bits when it comes to sharpening

Well if you consider using a drill doctor on worn out drill bits, I weould have to say the cheap ones don't fair well at all. As someone else alluded to the cheap one are err cheap, and do not hold up well or break.

I do believe that drill bits are one place that quality is overlooked during an attempt to control costs. But no body takes the effort to take into account the economics of drilling, that is a quick and efficient method of removing metal. Good drill bits are not really that expensive wth respect to what you can accomplish with them. It does seem like it it the tool that gets no respect.

Thanks
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by mmech
    how do cheap bits compare to name brand bits when it comes to sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    I got this set quite a while ago...used it extensively in getting close to metric and such for tapping (the number and letter bits help in that respect). I 'm satisfied....

Anyway, after thinking they were adequate for aluminum (I have better for steel), I finally got around to needing the "G" letter bit...HAH! I chucked it up in the drill press after a pilot hole, brought the spindle down, and applied pressure. wheeew... the bit just sat there spinning acting like a burr removal tool. Looking at the bit, it was ground backwards and was rubbing on the back side of the flutes. A little grind job and it was up to snuff.

Well, one bad one (so far) isn't bad for the price!

Bloy

Well that right there is enough to take the set off any list of potential sets that I would buy. You can't think much of the manufacture quality control if something like this gets out into the wild.

Thanks
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bloy2004

Well, one bad one (so far) isn't bad for the price!

Bloy