586,521 active members*
3,377 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Z Axis Over Travel / Alignment

Z Axis Over Travel / Alignment

Some how my Arrow 1000 with Acramatic A2100 over traveled in the z axis during a power off. When powered on the I get a message saying axis alignment required and the Z axis is reading a position of -0.185. With the error there is no power and I have tried removing the front cover of the Z Axis ball screw coupler and rotating it by hand but it's not budging at all. Is there a way to get the z axis back into the correct position?

For those who have done an ssd upgrade I was wondering what kind of ssd did you guys go with? I tried to do a CF Card with IDE adapter for an drive, imaged the original hard drive and got the image to boot and work in another computer, but the Acramatic computer seems unable to detect the adapter as a IDE device.

Have you tried holding the green button while jogging off the limit?

Dear Sir

1. you cannot move the axis because the Z axe have a brake. the best way to fix this problem is taking out the limit switch and turning on the machine after you aling the machine you have to put in the correct position the limit switch.

2. You have to review what version of Windows NT do you have, because maybe the image that you are making is corrupted by the Norton Ghost version that you are using because is not compatible with the windows that is running in the machine.

Please send me the serial number of the machine and control to check in my records the details of your machine.

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by cncven View Post
    Please send me the serial number of the machine and control to check in my records the details of your machine.............
    CNCven in s america, are you a cmi authorized repair facility? how do you know serial no info on all machines? sounds like you might be a great source of help on this forum! tell us who you are please!

Yes I were the autorized facility in South America with these control. Also I have a record with the former England facility were the machine were made.

Yes we were that authorized cmi south america service center.
    Also we have a great contact in England that have all information regarding the Arrow and Sabre Cincinnati Milacron models. If you need some help, please let me know..

cool beans! welcome to this forum! you can help a lot of people with your info and knowledge! we introduced cmi to our motors and drives way back when and began selling them to them for birmingham. we still sell these motors and drives and spindles and still sell to cmi. we specialize in stocking and repairing these for them and others so if we can help YOU in s.america, just let us know! I have 'appointment' with a small shop in cleveland, oh tomorrow morning to run motionlink on their arrow 1250c over internet and help diagnose their x axis as10 drive issue, and a later morning internet connection to Nigeria for cmi on a larger machine to load servostar drive parameters and tune it remotely! lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by cncven View Post
    Dear Sir

1. you cannot move the axis because the Z axe have a brake. the best way to fix this problem is taking out the limit switch and turning on the machine after you aling the machine you have to put in the correct position the limit switch.

slowlearner: I tried holding the green button, the moment it's pressed the power off error comes up and says alignment is required.

2. You have to review what version of Windows NT do you have, because maybe the image that you are making is corrupted by the Norton Ghost version that you are using because is not compatible with the windows that is running in the machine.

Please send me the serial number of the machine and control to check in my records the details of your machine.

Take care
    1. Would it be possible to somehow release the brake manually, or temporarily bypass the limit switch instead of removing the switch?

2. I have installed the flash drive in another computer and it boots up into windows without any problems. The issue seems to be that the Arcramatic computer's mother board is not able to detect the drive in the bios or it causes errors during the self check process. I was wondering if there is a more compatible drive, right now it's a sata interface with an ide adapter, i might try an native ide drive and see what happens.

I really appreciate your assistance.

if u bypass the brake the z will fall; dont recall if urs already is down all the way; if not u want to block it up first.

most of the brakes in our motor on this vintage machine are 90vdc and can be powered by 120vac thru radio shack 1"x1" square full wave bridge rectifier to the appropriate motor pins. BUT PLSE DONT DO THIS UNLESS U KNOW FOR A FACT UR MOTOR IS 90V BRAKE MODEL.

If u email us motor part no off side we will tell u for sure and the pins to do this. [email protected]

another alternative might be to block it up for saefty then take out the 4 motor mounting bolts and cables off motor; rotate motor to turn screw.....

Dear Sir

If you send me your e-mail address I will send you and procedure to bypass the brake and the instructions to get a norton ghost clone of you hard disk.

Regards

CNCVEN, thank you for the advice on removing the bolts from the servo and rotating the screw that way, when removed I was surprised that there was hardly any pressure on the ball screw it turned easily and didn't want to fall after getting it raised.

I have been using Clonezilla and doing a bit to bit copy, it works with other hard drives and they boot, but for some reason the motherboard does not detect the ssd and sata to ide adapter that I'm currently using, I'll try another ssd or a native ide ssd.

The z axis is off the limit, but when I try to realign or restore power to the machine it keeps giving an "Severity 80" error?

Again I really appreciate everyone's assistance, thank you guys very much.

DEAR SIR
    I JUST GOT CINCINATIVE ARROW1000 WITH ACRAMATIC 2100 CONTROL SN#7049-AOB-98-0571 WHEN I AXES ALGN I GOT BIT X OF S1AX_MOTION IS ON
    PLEASE TRY TO HELP
    THANK YOU
    KHANH-VU