586,126 active members*
2,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAD/CAM for making molds

I think this is more of a CAM than CAD question, but I could not find a general CAM forum.

I am a hobbyist and I would like to machine molds to use with pourable resin plastics. I need software to create the toolpaths for the molds, rather than the part. Anyone know of a reasonable price solution?

Thanks,

Shannon

Shannon.
    Draw the part in ViaCAD 2D/3D, @ $99.
    Export it to CamBam, @ $149, as an stl file.
    Set up a 3D Machining OPeration (MOP) and choose the Mold option.
    CamBam will take the model of the part and automatically produce a Mold cutting toolpath - couldn't be easier and I do it quite often myself, so I know it works.

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    Shannon.
    Draw the part in ViaCAD 2D/3D, @ $99.
    Export it to CamBam, @ $149, as an stl file.
    Set up a 3D Machining OPeration (MOP) and choose the Mold option.
    CamBam will take the model of the part and automatically produce a Mold cutting toolpath - couldn't be easier and I do it quite often myself, so I know it works.

Martin.
    Ahhh, so CamBam has a mold option! That is great news.

Currently I am using an opensource CAD called Free-CAD (SourceForge.net: free-cad). It saves STL so I'm in luck there.

For things requiring less precision I use the free version of Google SketchUP to build my model and then use this (Convert Sketchup SKP files to DXF or STL | Download Sketchup plugin) plugin to export to STL.

To process my STLs into G-Code (for EMC2) I have had good luck with both FreeMill (MecSoft FreeMILL: 3D Milling package) and pyCAM (PyCAM - Toolpath Generation for 3-Axis CNC machining). FreeMill is MUCH easier to use, but pyCAM is more capable. My biggest problem with pyCAM is that it can be slow.

So, it sounds like CamBam is going to "fit right in" alongside of my existing tool-chain. Thank you for the tip.

Shannon

It looks like you've found all the free software

I hope it works for you. But I'd suggest milling the parts positive, and making silicone rubber molds for the resin. Rigid molds are a lot more difficult to make, and they tend to stick when used this way. They're great for injection molding, but not so good for the pourable resins.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by shannon_haworth View Post
    I think this is more of a CAM than CAD question, but I could not find a general CAM forum.

I am a hobbyist and I would like to machine molds to use with pourable resin plastics. I need software to create the toolpaths for the molds, rather than the part. Anyone know of a reasonable price solution?

Thanks,

Shannon