586,766 active members*
8,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BTR and 3D toolpaths Feedrates.

I have an MV35-40 with a fanuc 6m control. When I run 3D toolpaths the machine is bogged by the processor and cannot run at the programmed speed(no look ahead). My question is if I use a BTR with a drip feed will I be able to achieve any faster feedrates? It seems that I would then only be limited by the communication from a pc to my machine? Has anyone retrofitted this machine? How much did it cost?

You should have RS232 on the machine. Thats going to be the fastest. Even though a BTR might handle 19200 buad, the old tape readers could not, so it will still bottleneck feeding in to the actual control. Your major downfall on that machine is the block to block speed on processing, no way around that that I know of. Although, if the machine still has bubble memory in it, I have found data transfer rates slightly faster with the new Sram board from fanuc. About a 1500.00 board.

And your log in name sure sounds familiar, the name of your shop? I was the local service manger for years in the No Ca Mori distributor.

Thanks for the answer

I've been thinking about either a BTR or retrofitting the machine. I am a homebrewer hence the screename. It used to be my standard beer till I started making beer. I will look into the new memory because I do have bubble memory I believe. Thanks Again. Cheers!

BTR vs internal memory

I can't imagine that any drip feed system for a 6T would be much faster than the internal memory. The parallel tape reader port probably gobbles up data 300 characters per second (3000 Baud). Most BTR's are put on Fanuc 6 controls by people who need to feed in very large files.

I can say with certainty that a full bubble is slower than an empty one. I used to watch one particular machine load an entire reel of paper tape into the bubble. It would start off fast and slow down as the bubble filled up.

Sometimes you can free up some space on a bubble with the "Cancel Orgin" routine.(While in Edit mode, press Cancel, then Orgin) This throws away all of the old edits that clutter up the bubble.

Warren
    Uptime Electronics, Inc.