587,030 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Shoptask 1720 XM TC W/CNC (W/Pic)
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by LX Kid View Post
    It was a running CNC machine when I bought it! And yes I have been using it manually "BUT" it limit's what can be done without the automatic feed. The software just doesn't want to talk to the servo motors. I can't do any learning without a properly running machine. I know it's pretty expensive to add CNC.
    If it was a running CNC machine when you got it, you should trace your steps back to the point when it became a " non running" machine. Try to determine what you did when it stopped working.

Quote Originally Posted by instructor37 View Post
    If it was a running CNC machine when you got it, you should trace your steps back to the point when it became a " non running" machine. Try to determine what you did when it stopped working.
    There is nothing to go back to! You just plug the computer and X-Y-Z cables, from the motors, into the power supply and your done.

Let's start by determining whether the servos and accompanying electronics are in order. Without them, Mach3 can do nothing.

I'm looking at your pics in post #8. We have similar setups. I'm using G320 Geckos and a CNC4PC board, yours looks homebrew, but they are essentially the same.

On the front of your controller box, there's an engage/disengage toggle. My guess is it's wired to the err/res connector on your G320 units. With the cover off of your controller box, can you tell us whether holding the toggle in the disengage position for 5 second turns the red "error" LEDs on each of your Geckos on? Thereafter, does holding the toggle in the engage position for 5 seconds turn them off?

If the toggle works in this way, you should hear your servos "wobbling" between encoder lines when the server driver lights are off. The servos should go silent when the lights are on.

Your computer running Mach3 doesn't even have to be on to do any of the above. Let us know what you find.

Hello Keston. Thanks for your help in advance! Yes when I turn on power the lights are in "fault" and they do turn off after 3-5 seconds when I put the switch to "engage" and when in the "disengage" and holding for 3-10 seconds I don't see or hear any chatter or movement of any motor and the fault lights stay "on." What next?

LX,

When your lights are off (the "engage" position) are you able to turn the cranks? The servos should resist you when they are on (when the error lights are off, the servos are on). If they do, we're on to the next step.

If you have the same parallel cable that came with the machine, that's not the problem. Here are some things to check:

1) from the PC's bios screen, make sure your parallel port is set to ECP (bidirectional)
    2) In Windows, go to Start->Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter
    3) Find your parallel port in the device manager and confirm it is using address 0x378

I use EMC2/Axis, but I'll study up on the minimum config requirements for Mach3 to talk to your break out board while you're checking these.

Thanks Kheston. I'll check those things a little later today. When it is "engaged" there is resistance on the handles.

Quote Originally Posted by LX Kid View Post
    Thanks Kheston. I'll check those things a little later today. When it is "engaged" there is resistance on the handles.
    Things are really jumping around here with Thanksgiving and I just can't seem to get out to the shop. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I'll get back to it soon as possible. Just too much happening right now. Thanks

Can't believe that I still haven't been able to get out there and follow-up on the suggestiions!!!! The "honey do" list seems to never end. Don't give up on me yet. I'll get with the program real soon. Thanks guys!!

Take your time, LX. I'm in Europe with family for another week, all projects on hold here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kheston View Post
    Take your time, LX. I'm in Europe with family for another week, all projects on hold here as well.
    Hello Kheston. Things mellowed out for awhile and I got back to checking the Mach3. I noticed today, when I booted up Mach3, and ran a G-code program that the X axis moved to home and and started running the program. The Y and Z did'nt move though. Just another lit bit of info that may help. I'll get the other info you requested in a few. Thanks

Well, that changes things. You don't have to check your computer's bios settings. Since the x-axis moved, we know your printer port is working.

Were the red LEDs on the non-working axes (Y and Z) lit while X was moving? Just curious. Also, it looks as though Mach3 has jog controls when in MDI mode. Are you able to jog all three axes?

Well, that changes things. You don't have to check your computer's bios settings. Since the x-axis moved, we know your printer port is working.

Were the red LEDs on the non-working axes (Y and Z) lit while X was moving? Just curious. Also, it looks as though Mach3 has jog controls when in MDI mode. Are you able to jog all three axes?
    Don't know exactly why but all three axis's started moving after I changed the feed rate from 10 to 200 on a gcode test!

That's great! What else have you tried? Is Mach3 moving things consistently now?

That's great! What else have you tried? Is Mach3 moving things consistently now?
    Nothing except I just ran another and it moved all axis's! Guess it's to getting into the manual to see what my next step will be. A fellow forum member, HellicopterJohn, is going to come over after New Years and check things out for me! He uses Mach3 on his ShopBot. thanks for you support and I'll keep you and others updated on my progress.

Got the jogging working, with the help of John, except the X and Z axis's are "working together" when I PG Up / PG Dn! Can't seem to figure out how to seperate the two. I changed the pins setting to see what would happen and it worked the same. An yone have any ideas for me to try? Thanks

I installed a quick change tool post on my cross-slide the other day. WOW! What a differance in the performance of the cut! Had to modify my cross-slide in order to install it. The mounting stud is large 8mm in size and had to mill an 8mm nut so it would pass on the slides mateing surfaces. I also drilled thru the nut and stud to install a roll pin so it would'nt back off. If anyone is still using a four way post, "Get rid of it!"

"GOOOOOOOD NEWS!!!" A fellow forum member, came over to my house and we got two of the 3 axis's working. We spent 11 hours today and came to the conclusion that all three Gecko 320's are working fine. We also checked all cableing, going to the encoders, was also working fine. We just can't figure out why the "Z" axis won't work! Anyhow 2 out of 3 ain't bad for now. Going to call Gecko dealer and see if they have any insight what might be going on.

Video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VOXgSgHask&list=LLu8isKm15H4uxaL-rDNmpcg&feature=mh_lolz"]00238.avi - YouTube[/ame]

YooooHoooo!!!! Finally after a year I've got all three axis's working. Thanks to the help of forum members. A special thanks to John of Tampa and Don of Daytona for 3 days of work to help me get it all straightened out. (It was a nightmare!) Here's a little video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbcCvulgcNo]CIMG0011.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

Success

Ron,

You are most welcome. I have to say that Don is the brains in this outfit. He also has helped me over the last 9 months to convert my Shopbot to Mach3 suggesting the correct electronic components and even helping me to wire them all up. We replaced the entire electronic component system with the exception of the stepper motors. He also helped me install my Super PID Electronic speed control, suggest correct proximity switches and help me hook them up to my PMDX 126 Break Out Board. Furthermore, he helped me select the proper solid state relays needed to control my Dust Collector and vacuum pump on my Shopbot via buttons on my Mach3 2010 Screen Set.

As you can see Don is a talented guy. He is the one who finally figured out what was wrong with Ron's Shoptask 1720 machine. He suggested that Ron change the settings for his parallel port in his bios settings to EPP and then it starting working as shown in the video.

I think Ron is one happy guy tonight.:cheers::banana:

Look forward to seeing some of Ron's projects as he gets the ole GCode running.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Page 3 of 3 123