586,481 active members*
2,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Mayan calendar

I am having trouble creating a toolpath of this drawing using bobcad ver.23 (v-carve).I ve let it compute for an hour without result.Can someone try and tell how long it takes .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Red face mayan toolpath mysteries solved

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Boudreau View Post
    I am having trouble creating a toolpath of this drawing using bobcad ver.23 (v-carve).I ve let it compute for an hour without result.Can someone try and tell how long it takes .

After cleaning some small single lines and using the clean-up and optimize function I was able to create the toolpath in a few minutes.

At 50 inch minute,routing time is about 4 hours for this project.

Still not sure what cause my computer to freeze.

Although I still get a message to the effect that some entities are not closed it does compute anyway.

Question Hey Claude - My Calender - Pix

Claude;
    I've also been working with these and using bobcad is still a chore. Lotz of time with toolpaths and the drawing size is always huge.
    What I'd like to ask the experts is there a way to reduce the amount of detail in the file to help with the time. I'm thinking recalculating angles, smoothing or something. Forgive me, I'm just learning cad and this is just a hobby. But, again, it would almost seem that there has to be a way to shorting the calculating time for this type of drawing.
    Thanks and hope you don't mind me jumping in. I truly am not trying to hijack your thread.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aztek Resized.jpg   Calendar 017.jpg   Calendar 007.jpg  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Wink routing time

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Claude;
    I've also been working with these and using bobcad is still a chore. Lotz of time with toolpaths and the drawing size is always huge.
    What I'd like to ask the experts is there a way to reduce the amount of detail in the file to help with the time. I'm thinking recalculating angles, smoothing or something. Forgive me, I'm just learning cad and this is just a hobby. But, again, it would almost seem that there has to be a way to shorting the calculating time for this type of drawing.
    Thanks and hope you don't mind me jumping in. I truly am not trying to hijack your thread.
    Bill
    Hello Bill, Not a all , I was starting to wonder if anybody was interested at all.
    As far as computing time, for a file with this much details,a few minutes of computing time seem acceptable.
    You are right that smoothing some angles would shorten routing time as you can see some lines on the toolpath that were cause by indentation on the curves, these are not hard to fix with the deform contour option, unfortunately I doubt it would change the overall time noticably.
    Faster ipm machines seem the only way out. But someone else might think of something.
    At 50ipm I think it took me 3.15 hours to complete.

P.S.Is it MDF on the pictures or plywood? Laquer finish?
    I ve use birch stained with 2 coats of minwax (dark wallnut) turn out pretty good, but cant get a decent picture to post .
    Its hard to be a hobbyist.
    lol

very nice

I am very IMPRESSED!!!!
    Great Work
    I decided to give it a go to test my machine(scaled DXF down to 5 inch)....Here is what I came up with ,great test run for sure 30 ipm .025 doc 1/8 V Tool, 1 1/2 hours. Cut into plastic board.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT2629.JPG   PICT2638.JPG  

Hey Guys;
    Sorry for the delayed response but damn work keeps getting in the way of enjoyable stuff! Almost wish Mom hadn't spoiled me with the eating habbit and warm place to sleep.
    The calendar I created was birch plywood with a laquer finish cut at 100ipm. It's 24" and takes just over 3 hours to carve with a 9/16 v-goove tool. They do look good. I'm modifing my machine in an attempt to get my feed rate up. I'd like a buck 50 feed but we'll have to see.
    Great job guys.
    Oh yeah, carve one has a calender in his large table thread where he created a calendar that is positive with respect to my piece. It looks great but I have yet to figure out how to do it with bobart. But, I'm working on it.
    Oh yeah, I'm actually thinking of springing for the vector software v-carve pro. Any word of wisdom from a user will be appreciated.
    Bill
    billyjack

Engraving & V-Carving

Version 24 has both engraving and V-Carving capabilities. I had a look at your file: aztec calendar. Very impressive. I did have to clean up some of the geometry and there are 20,400 entities in the file so you better be prepared regardless of what CAD-CAM system you use to wait a few minutes for toolpath to be created. I used the file and wrote a training exercise. For some reason I am having trouble uploading it here but it will be on our website tomorrow In the end everything worked out great.
    CNC Dude

Thanks Dude;
    I'm just learning bobcad myself so all help is appreciated. I can reverse engineer most tasks better than grope my way through them.
    What is the link?
    Bill
    billyjack

FYI: It took me under 1 minute to generate the V Carve tool path for my 5 inch test. All I did was erase doubles and clean up & optimize then scale to 5 inch.
    V23 update 1595
    Rob

Nice drawing. Kinda scary though, it’s like a reminder to finish up all cnc projects before December 2012. I wonder if the ancient astronauts have BobCad?
    Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

whats the password to extract the aztec calander.zip??

CamIam;
    Don't worry about the 2012 thing. I have it on good faith that the mayan creator just ran out of rock!
    Bill
    billyjack

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    CamIam;
    Don't worry about the 2012 thing. I have it on good faith that the mayan creator just ran out of rock!
    Bill
    I've read it wont be the end of the world, but rather a new era...it would not surprise me , from what we see happening in Egypt ...

aztec

I would really like to know this picture was vectorized ? did some one use adobe Illustrator ? I opened this file in mastercam x4 and it was super clean ! ready to run (almost)

aztec

I would really like to know how this picture was vectorized ? did some one use adobe Illustrator ? I opened this file in mastercam x4 and it was super clean ! ready to run (almost)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bundysax View Post
    I would really like to know how this picture was vectorized ? did some one use adobe Illustrator ? I opened this file in mastercam x4 and it was super clean ! ready to run (almost)
    From vetric software I think, dont have it but if it's anything like bobart vectorizing software the final product would need some serious human work.

Vector Image Files

My Mayan Calendar

I hope the world does not end. I have too many projects to work on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mayan calendar.jpg  
    Wayne Hill

Pretty cool dude, how big is it and how long did it take you to cut it out ?

Thank you BundySax,

16 inches in diameter and took about two hours. I ran a second pass to finish details better. Four hours total machine time.
    Wayne Hill

Page 1 of 2 12