586,974 active members*
3,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Solsylva 25x25 Router

Well this week I finally decided to move forward and build a Solsylva 25x25 router. I'm been lurking around here for a month or so trying to learn the lingo and settled on the Solsylva plans. I'm not a very skilled DIYer, so this is going to be my jump into the deep end of woodworking, CNC, etc.

I am somewhat budget conscious since this is strictly a hobby build and I have no idea if I am in over my head - I have no experience with CAD/CAM or electronics. I want to do this project so I can learn new skills - and I am sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way. I also don't expect this to be a fast build since I have two young children, but I started this post so I could feel somewhat "accountable" in working on the project!

I don't plan on any modifications to the design besides upgrading the leadscrews at the beginning, because I don't feel confident enough at this point. This week I started collecting parts around town and ordering a few - today I received my leadscrews from McMaster (3/8-8 4 start).

Today I went out and cut all of the pieces for my table stand. I also picked up a drill press that I got for a steal from Sears. I hope to start assembling tomorrow and then I'll work on the bed next. I'm using southern yellow pine for the stand and bed, and probably a mixture of woods, to include some red oak, for the router itself.

Here are a couple of pictures (excuse the poor quality iphone pictures) to kick start my build... just a few of the cuts for the stand and the freshly assembled/untested drill press.

Nathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg