3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 158 9101112132161111
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Very nice.
    Thanks Paul,

Soon as this one is paid down some I'll order the Grizzly G0548Z dust collector. That will complete the new shop equipment additions for this year.

The mobile base will let the machine rotate within the length of the machine. Makes it easy to move around the almost 600 pound weight.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I think that's the best spot for it. And as you said, the base will make it easy to move aside when it's time to ride out the big mower.

Nice saw, C1! But why can't saw manufacturer's make some usable miters to go along with their saws?

I think that's the best spot for it. And as you said, the base will make it easy to move aside when it's time to ride out the big mower.
    Most of the time it will be parked next to the bench where you saw the old Sears table saw when you visited here. For cutting smaller pieces it can stay there and I will hook the existing 1hp Delta dust collector to it once the G0548Z is permanently installed and the Delta becomes a mobile dust collector again. I just eventually want a 230vac outlet at the garage door to be available for the MIG welder or the table saw.

For the photos I put it next to the garage door for a size reference. The front rail tube is 6' 4" long. Actual rip length is 51" from fence to blade.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos View Post
    Nice saw, C1! But why can't saw manufacturer's make some usable miters to go along with their saws?
    Beats me! I have a better one made by Incra that should work with it. The one that came with the saw at least has some adjustments for truing it.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

C1,

Nice saw, I'm jealous. Can I come over to play?

My quess is, it's only a matter of time before you CNC that saw!

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Quote Originally Posted by DIYaholic View Post
    C1,

Nice saw, I'm jealous. Can I come over to play?

My quess is, it's only a matter of time before you CNC that saw!

Randy,
    Nah, probably not Randy. A digital readout of the fence location makes some sense though. I don't really see much advantage to doing it with CNC. Bragging rights means a lot around here though, doesn't it?

The shorter Sears table saw caused me to be removing the fence a lot and guiding a sheet by hand, even after I made longer extension tables and built a homemade fence for it. (Free saw, and it came with no fence) With this 51" wide right side of the blade table I'll probably be able to leave the fence on the table nearly all of the time, even when cross cutting a sheet to 4' square.

I would be more likely to do a CNC conversion on one of my milling machines. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The RF45 mill would be the one, and it has humongously heavy parts to remove for the getting it ready for the conversion. I'll call you when I'm ready to tear it down, ok?

CarveOne
    CarveOne

crikey it's huuuuuuuuuge

Quote Originally Posted by mmcp42 View Post
    crikey it's huuuuuuuuuge
    Ain't it though.... It's only 4" wider than the old extended Sears table saw I have. The cutting difference is that the blade on the Sears saw I made the wider extensions for is in the middle of the 6 foot table length. The other significant difference is that everything below the top of the blade guard is heads and shoulders much better made.

I drove over to town this morning and picked up a new blade, a DeWalt 10" thin kerf 60 tooth laser cut expansion slots with 2X size carbide teeth, model DW3215PT.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I would be more likely to do a CNC conversion on one of my milling machines. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The RF45 mill would be the one, and it has humongously heavy parts to remove for the getting it ready for the conversion. I'll call you when I'm ready to tear it down, ok?

CarveOne
    By all means call me. I love work, I could watch it for hours.LOL!
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

One more photo of the Jet in its storage location.

The work table behind it is 2" too high to use it as a support for cutting sheets. I'm going to give heavy consideration to setting the saw up there permanently since the dust collector is going to be mobile for other uses anyway. I may even decide to take the saw back off of the mobile base. This location will need a 15' cord to reach the existing welder outlet. Cheaper than running a 60' wire for a new wall outlet at the garage door. I don't really need to do welding there anyway.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0414.jpg  
    CarveOne

So now you need to cut the legs 2" shorter on the work table.

So now you need to cut the legs 2" shorter on the work table.
    After posting, I went out to the shop and measured it as 1-1/2". I've decided to do three things. Remove the saw from the mobile base, add adjustable feet to the threaded holes in the base of the saw, and lower the table. The two table saw extension legs already have screw type feet on them. I can get four more feet for the saw base. They all will have lock nuts to keep the feet from being wobbly. Some of the height difference will be cut down from the table legs and the remaining difference will be made up by adjusting the feet. There may be some 3" squares of wood under the feet to keep the six feet length fairly short.

After thinking about it I decided that with the dust collector attached to the table saw there is no longer a reason to move it outside on the inclined concrete pad to cut stuff. That was only necessary when using the open frame Sears saw. With the closed base Jet saw and dust collector it should be much less of an issue. With the Jet saw on the floor I can get the table top more level and flat than I have been able to while it has been on the mobile base today. There is still plenty of working room around the table saw for handling full sheets and the pieces will go onto the work table top or onto roller stand(s) behind the left side of the blade. When the table saw is not in use the work bench will just accumulate junk like it always does. Sounds ideal to me.

Now to figure out how I'm going to lift the whole table saw up enough to get the mobile base out from under it. I'm sure not going to put it back into kit form again and then reassemble it. As always, I HAVE A PLAN. (Even if it doesn't work.)

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Here is a photo of the two miter guides. The black one on the left came with the Jet saw and has three screw adjustable stops.

The Incra V27 is one I've had for many years. The 3/8" x 2" aluminum bar was added for use on the Jet 14" band saw and Sears table saw and is never used on the left side of the blade. I'll probably put one of the bars on the Jet miter guide also.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0415.jpg  
    CarveOne

I thought you would have gone for a Forrest blade, pricey but an unbeatable cut.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    I thought you would have gone for a Forrest blade, pricey but an unbeatable cut.

Jason
    No, not this time. The local home improvement center (Lowe's) has Skil, DeWalt, and CMT brands. I would have to mail order anything better. The CMT was higher priced than the DeWalt by around $15 to $20.

Most DeWalt blades have painted carbide teeth but this one did not, and I picked it as being more suitable for my needs as it just looked sharper. I cut some 2x4 treated lumber and some 1/2" OSB with it today and the finish is excellent. The blade runs true and makes a lot better cut than my old Sears saw did with a DeWalt carbide blade. Next trip I make a trip to a Woodcraft or Klingspor Woodworking store I'll be sure to look at the Forest blades since I have seen them there before.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

The table saw is completely installed now and works like a long overdue dream. These will be the final photos of the installation.

I lifted the saw off the floor with 6 ton bottle jacks after removing the extension table and its extension casters. Then I removed the mobile base from under the saw base. I lowered the saw to the floor and used the Jet saw to cut two pieces of 1/2" OSB to 21" x 21", which were then glued together and weighted with concrete blocks while I cut two pieces of 1/2" OSB to 27" x 4" and glued them together also.

While the glue was curing I removed everything from the work table and rolled it 90 degrees to one side and removed 1-5/8" from all six legs. This sets the work table height to 1/8" lower than the table saw top. I rolled the work table back right side up and raised the table saw high enough to slide the two OSB "pad" under the table base. I reinstalled the extension table with the OSB pad under it, leveled the extension table with the saw castings, and adjusted the leveling feet on the extension legs.

Now everything is rock solid, flat over the full length, and level to 4' carpenter level accuracy. The fence slides like silk and does not touch the work table top even though it is over the work table top by about 5". There is about 1/8" drop down to the work table from the rear of the saw so there will be no snags.

I made a makeshift Shop Vac hose adapter that helped a lot during the cuts today. It will be used until I can acquire and install the Grizzly G0548Z dust collector I want to get soon.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0419.jpg   DSCN0420.jpg   DSCN0421.jpg   DSCN0422.jpg  

DSCN0423.jpg  
    CarveOne

that's looking terrific
    what's its first project going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by mmcp42 View Post
    that's looking terrific
    what's its first project going to be?
    Under the big machine is a piece of 3/4" thick MDF that is a little over a half sheet in size that I will cut today in preparation for making a 30" Mayan Haab calendar for the shop wall display. As soon as I get my loaned out trailer back today or tomorrow I'll go get two or three more sheets. There is another table top design that I want to cut also. It will probably also be 30" diameter. I haven't generated the gcode for either of them yet. I'll also work on those today. There is another back-burner project that I started creating the dxf file for that I need to get back to work on also.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Page 11 of 158 9101112132161111