586,321 active members*
4,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

'08 vf3 spindle cable fault

yesterday while doing some machining the vf3 at work keept getting the spindle cable fault error.(using 1/2" 4 flute end mill and dream drill) we couldnt even finish running the parts we were working on. on the end mill part of the cycle the machine kept locking up with the spindle cable fault error. (dream drill was second part)we ran some different parts today using an inserted cutter and another 1/2" 4 flute end mill and didnt have any problem at all. the machine in question hasnt had any problems except for having the encoder replaced about 6 mos ago when these errors started but the past few weeks it happens every now and then except for yesterday when we had to just shut the machine down. the machine was manufactured in 2008(RTS date is 6-5-08). we would like to try to keep from calling in the haas tech unless we have to just to try to be cost effective if possible. does anyone have some ideas on what may be wrong?

i had read a previous topic about a vf3 where someone suggested checking the tensioner for the encoder belt but our machine doesnt have a belt on the encoder. other than just replacing parts we have no idea where to proceed.

all the connections? maybe one vibrated loose?

the boss called haas and the tech suggested it may have been a loose connection but we couldnt find anything. we checked the plugs on the board and the other guy at work had removed the cover for the spindle to see if he could see anything that may have been wrong. we havent been able to find any loose connectors at all. the spindle cable was unplugged from the board on the back and the spindle in the front. im not quite sure what was done when they were working on it b/c i was running other parts on our vf2 but im pretty sure all the cable connections were tested.

I am not sure how haas cables are but if its a flat plug in with pins that stick out maybe one is loose in the connector. bend them a tad to give them a pressure contact so to speak.
    also might want to see if any of the pins wiggle ona board or even on the female parts.
    my old acroloc has pins on a adjustable pot that were loose on the board we would only notice a problem when the weather changed ( hot vs cold) turned out to be a bad solder joint
    I had to tune the spindle board like every week, some times once a day to get it to work with out and error (overload) in the winter. had a scope hooked to it for months just for the tunning to keep it running.
    ended up being the adjustable pot on a multilayer board. while I doubt thats your problem as it was 1980s technology it could be a pin or something like that.
    if you have like machines in the shop, start swapping cables just to see what happens. do it one at a tiime

Delw

thanks for the replies. ill give it a shot when i get back to work on monday and post back later.

I had the same problem on my vf2`07 , the machine worked but sometimes on higher RPM`s the error comes out.

I noticed 2 things :
    1/ on lower RPM`s the spindle speed was same like I entered, but the higher was the speed the worse was the speed ( eg. on entering 7500RPM it was 7530 even )
    2/ around 6500RPM there was much vibration near spindle / motor

the issue is quite easy to repair , the connection between motor and encoder is belt driven , in my case there was much dirt on motor side ( in groves ) after cleaning this the machine work great. The vibrations caused the bad encoder readings . (sorry I can`t expain it better)

__
    Peter

If your machine does not have an encoder belt, what is driving it then?

Most common causes of this error is a loose or worn belt, faulty cables (damaged wiring or loose connection) or bad encoder.