587,030 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Early X-mas present

I got to play with my new G540 a couple of days early.
    I ripped out the old drivers (carefully as I want to re-task them) and hooked up the G540. I soldered in the existing wires to the DB9 and connected my NO optical home switches to the inputs. I hooked my NO eStop to the eStop input and my height probe to the last input. My previous drivers were configured exactly the same as what the G540 needs 1/10 microstep 20000 steps per for a 1/2-10 screw. X-axis on pins 2/3, Y on 3/4 and Z on 5/6. Pretty easy... except for the NO switches. I took out my eStop and rewired it for NC, I changed my height probe to active low in Mach3 (going from memory here it was late last night) opposite of what it was set to, now both of these items work and my machine moves.
    I kept one hand on the eStop as I pressed "ref all home" as I figured this was not going to work. Good thing too as I was right the NO home switches were not working. I tried to change the setting in Mach3, basically toggle it and still no home function.
    I would name my router ET if I could get it to go home... so why does Gecko make me use NC switches? I do not want to replace my home switches they worked perfectly hooked directly to the parallel port. I suspect/assume gecko's bob on the G540 is optoisolated so how do I use my existing home switches.
    Thanks guys
    Merry Christmas

You don't have to use NC switches except on Estop. The G540 four inputs just pass a logic state to the parallel port as long as they see an open or a gnd (terminal 12) on the input. You just need to set your software setup accordingly. Estop is a little different, it must see a short between terminal 10 and gnd (terminal 12) regarless of what the software setup is.

However I would add NC configuration is much less prone to noise.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

thanks for the reply Phil, I tried different settings, none of the inputs with my NO optical switches worked on the G540. I just moved them to my secondary LPT port and all is good again.