586,655 active members*
2,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

emc ini file settings

Has anyone got linux emc set up with a chinese/rabbit laser. (EDIT - after fitting a new stepper driver board.)

If so would you share your settings with me. Ideally I would like to see an example ini file set up for a laser and see if it works with my machine with modifications.

I have tried modifying the various files included with emc but am having problems with feed rates etc as I dont really know too much about the settings for steppers etc
    rabbit / ls3040

Hi, if you have the basic configuration documentation so that you know what pins on the port have which functions then you can go through the stepconf wizard that will allow you to tune the parameters for each axis, this is a case of picking a conservative setting testing it ( carried out inside the wizard ) then upping it in terms of acceleration and max speed till you get something that you are happy with, it then saves this as the config that gets loaded with EMC.
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

I know this is obvious to most, but in case a newbie with a parallel port Chinese laser decides to try it :nono: .

This is only an option if you've replaced the standard laser control / motor driver board with a step / direction driver.

Zax.

emc

yes sorry, I should have said - I am fitting a new 3 axis stepper controller.

Anyway I think I have solved the problem I had. I had the acceleration set too low for the steppers - so while I was cutting the velocity/feed rate was changing too slowly while cutting curves and moving too fast through straight lines.

I am just in simulation mode at the moment. I havent got the courage to connect all this to my machine yet.

EMC is looking like a good choice for laser control so far. For me it is much easier to use than mach3. I am using inkscape to output the g code directly from my vector drawings and importing straight into EMC with no errors.
    rabbit / ls3040