586,894 active members*
4,017 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 21 of 22 1119202122
    arvidj
    Very depressing

Don't feel bad, there is very little if any difference in the pricing, the Servo Drives are the same price, I'm not sure on the motors, but they should be more than they were because they now have aluminum encoder covers & better wire/cable termination, Dmm have mostly just added more than what was there before, & have moved to a new bussiness location
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    arvidj
    ... there is very little if any difference in the pricing, the Servo Drives are the same price, I'm not sure on the motors ...
    Thanks for the info. The 400W and 750W went up by about 27% ... which added about $120 I had not planned on.

Informed, but still depressed,
    Arvid

Had a very fruitful discussion with DMM and placed an order this afternoon.

Snail's pace

Maybe it will make sawdust one day?, all motors installed, cable chains and basic enclosure panel wiring done. now to make up igus power cables with ampenol type plugs (DSK brand from Galco-great price) and run 20awg db9 encoder cables from L-Com Co.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc5 001.jpg   latestcnc 001.jpg  

Glenninvb

Your panel looks really good, it can take some time to get everything how you want it

Here are 2 video's of a machine that is about 3m long, & is using the Dmm servo system, the same 750W motors as you have, he has only ( 1 ) motor on the X axes as well, & has been running up to 56000mm per min or 2,200 IPM rapids with it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjfJrrvJwc]DMM CNC Cutting HMW Plastic - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMCXd092BN0]DMM CNC Cutting 30mm HMW - YouTube[/ame]
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec,

If you see this maybe you can tell me if I'm thinking on the right track.

I was setting up Mach3 pins and ports etc. as per DMM b/o board specs suggest. I'm not using a-axis motor output but want to use A- limit input(charge pump active) for tool setter so how should I set port and pins on A-axis for active low touch plate. what do I set A- motor output

On steps per (inch units) with effective ball screw pitch of 5mm (10mm/2)x&y 5mm- z....... I come up with 10160.0203
    1.000 /.19685 = 5.08001 x 2000
    Does that sound right? And should I leave pulse and dir. pulse width at 1us

Thanks, anyone feel free to jump in........

Also, Mactec or anyone with Dyn3 drivers

After I optimize servo tuning in the Dyn3 software (which is pretty good now and easy to setup) and select network in pulse and dir. mode....... do I ignor motor tuning in Mach3 or do you maximize the sliders and let the Dyn3 take over ?????????? or have I got to adjust that too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninvb View Post
    Also, Mactec or anyone with Dyn3 drivers

After I optimize servo tuning in the Dyn3 software (which is pretty good now and easy to setup) and select network in pulse and dir. mode....... do I ignor motor tuning in Mach3 or do you maximize the sliders and let the Dyn3 take over ?????????? or have I got to adjust that too

Thanks
    You have to adjust both. If mach3 is too aggressive the servos will fault.

Thanks for that, I kinda thought that was the case. no big deal, I will optimize the driver settings, then carefully tweak the Mach settings

It does seem though if the driver settings are optimized then Mach would not be able to excede those parameters, but I guess thats why the drivers may fault?

Still waiting for some cables and need to fab interface panel for plugs on side of enclosure, just trying to get ahead of some items

Glenninvb

Glenninvb

For the A axes, change the charge pump pin from 9 to 17 then your A axes will be good to go

If you are using the smooth stepper then you can maximize the sliders in Mach, this though will also depend on the load the motors are seeing, if it is a light load, then maximize the sliders in Mach, if the load is heavy then you may need to do some ajustment to get the max out put

Steps/per 10160 for the 5mm ball screw
    Steps/per 5080 for the 10mm screw

Step pulse 5
    Dir pulse 5
    Mactec54

Hey Mactec54,

Thanks, the 10mm screws are 2:1 so need to use same setting, but anyway
    I'm using charge pump relay for spindle control

The b/o board is powered by 24v 2.5 amp psu and 5v psu (no usb) I'm using power out on board to operate 24v 40milliamp miniature din relay via cp1 and cp2, to activate 110vac coil on spindle contactor.

So do I want to change charge pump pins, I'm not using A-axis motor, just A-limit for generic input ?

Also
    The panel is being powered with 25amp 220v 4wire circuit L1 and L2 are separated, L1 is for spindle(110v router for now) and psu's. L2 is for servo drives only, effectively 2- 110v circuits with somewhat balanced neutral.
    L2 could be added to spindle contactor for vfd later
    Main power switch turns on psu's to power b/o board
    Second switch enables servos via 3pole contactor ( I know some servo systems use enable output to operate servo contactor) but it appears there is a enable signal to drives from b/o board for safety

sorry for all the rambling, Does this sound OK

Glenninvb

For 2:1 you will have to double that number 5080 for the steps per,so yes 10160 is correct for the 2:1,on the 10mm pitch screw

For the A axes out put, if just for output you may not need to change the pin 9

Why do you need a contactor to turn the VFD on? This should turn on when you turn on the main power, the drives also, you only need a breaker, between the main power & the VFD,a contactor is not needed, what VFD are you using?
    Mactec54

mactec54,

I do not have vfd, the contactor is used as relay for router via charge pump

the contactor or bus could be used to power vfd 220/1ph at a later time
    I do understand most vfd's have internal relay and analog input for dir/speed
    and only need cord set

By supplying panel (machine mounted) with 220v only 1 power cord will ever be needed running across floor (future vfd and computer and any other device tucked under table)

Mactec54,

as far as seperate servo enable sw. is concerned, why not let computer communicate with breakout board before servo's power up, I'm sure its not needed but can't see any harm. I may mount computer in ventilated/filtered enclosure on machine frame, that will give computer time to boot as well.

I know servo will not operate untill enabled by b/o but like I said can't see any harm in doing this

I would like machine fully self contained without cables running everywhere

Glenninvb

Yes what you are doing is good, I thought that you using a VFD, so this changes how you have to do your turn on, you want the computer to turn on first, so you have everything under control, so what you are doing is correct, & well thought out
    Mactec54

Well" I did live long enough to see it move

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc finish 005.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	179298Very happy with the Dmm Tech servo's. I still don't have smoothstepper hooked up but with Mach3 @25000 it has about 230ipm. and after spending several hours screwing with the CV settings (thanks to this forum) I was able to air cut roadrunner and several VCarve test files @200ipm. I did cut a piece of laminated ply with a 3"x.250 pocket with .5 end mill (single pass) at 150 ipm. very nice and smooth pocket.

Well now to install table top, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc finish 005.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	179298dust shoe and vac system

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc finish 010.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	179300Not sure about the new layout, sorry for same photo twice

Re: DMM Tec Servos

Great looking machine ....
    How's it running on the dmm kit ?

Cheers

Blackrat,

Very happy with the DMM tech servos, no problems at all, easy to hook up and great service from the company. They will answer any questions you may have,
    Thanks for the comments.

Glenninvb

how are you powering your BOB ? separate 5v ? or on a usb lead ?

Page 21 of 22 1119202122