586,213 active members*
3,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 22 123412
    Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Will a pair of DMM 900Watt servos move my 500lbs gantry at decent speeds and have enough torque?I understand it is a vague question.I would be using 12DP R&P with 2"
    pinion
    Larry
    Larry, check out the latest post in my build log. I have some number posted dealing with acceleration of a 700lb gantry.

Depends on your definition of "decent," but the likely answer is yes.

Mactec,
    Is there any time estimation on that new drive w/ 120V/240V be released? Do you think in 2 or 3 mo's be available?

I thought I had come back to reply with my experiance with the DMM servos' but I see I was mistaken.

Let me start by saying the tech support was outstanding and all my questions were answered promptly. The documentation was clear enough for a first time CNC person to have everything up and running with only 2 emails for help.

The documentation walks you through the Mach 3 setup with pictures and text.

I am extremely happy with my purchase!!!! The system runs very quietly compared to the whining I here on other video's from stepper motors.

Here are some video's of my first cut and some other things:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mq7wnjmmY"]YouTube - ‪First Cut with my CNC Converted Mill‬‏[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJj3GISwvQ"]YouTube - ‪CNC PLAQUE‬‏[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzB8pTiS3bw&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪CNC A Divot Repair Tool‬‏[/nomedia]

Thank you DMM !!!!!

Very interested in the timing on the release of the 120/240V controller.

Looking at a 300W 200V AC servo application.

Any updates ?

I got DMM 4 axis servo system, very happy with it, Ive already got everything running, Ive been able to control 3 relays with the board dmm supplied, The motors are quiet, smooth, and relativaly simple to hook everything up.

I emailed DMM asking about the new drives (the upgraded Dyn-2 and the 110/220v AC version). This was the response I got - looks like the upgraded Dyn-2 drives are shipping now.

"We have unofficially increased our Dyn2 AC servo driver's to peak output from 60V to 75V recently, which boosted our motors with more power and stability during rapid acceleration/deceleration. We are in development of a 110Vac to 220Vac version Dyn Drive but have currently decided to invest our resources into other aspects, so we do not have a release date on schedule.

With the 75V boost, our 7.2Nm motors can achieve 1300rpm, and 48V, for max speed 1000rpm."

giz

That is correct, but they are still working on the 110/230V Drive,There is some very exciting new things, they are working on, That will be in all the new drives when it is completed, A hint as to one of the features, is full auto tuning, With the intent for the end user, to plug/wire & run, There will be no servo tuning to do, There system is easy to set up now, This will make it the best there is, & have max performance at any time through the whole motors operation range

The upgraded Dyn2 drive has been done for some time, as I had said before the RPM & watts have increased on the larger motor, to 1000w & 1300 RPM
    Mactec54

Hello mactec,
    The upgraded Dyn2 drive has been done for some time, as I had said before the RPM & watts have increased on the larger motor, to 1000w & 1300 RPM
    Is your Dyn2 available now to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    giz

That is correct, but they are still working on the 110/230V Drive,There is some very exciting new things, they are working on, That will be in all the new drives when it is completed, A hint as to one of the features, is full auto tuning, With the intent for the end user, to plug/wire & run, There will be no servo tuning to do, There system is easy to set up now, This will make it the best there is, & have max performance at any time through the whole motors operation range

That sound awesome. I just wish it was available now, or within the month!

help with 4 motor kit

Planning on using Peak 7.2Nm(1015 OZ-In) high torque AC servo motor, 4 Axis CNC kit for MACH3 for XZero DimonX 110 machine. Couple of questions for the folks who have experience with this kit

1) Which enclosure you used for the control box? Any link or picture will help. I am not good with electronics and will follow a working example. I don't even know how break out board is attached to the enclosure. I don't know much but I will learn.

2) Picture of this kit on DMM web site shows that all the wires have the connectors. Correct? No soldering or doing research on connectors?

3) I did download 3-4 page document from ddm web site. Circuit diagram seems easy to follow. How long it took you to put it together?

4) I think George from XZero has already shipped my machine. It will take me some time to assemble the machine and I can wait if newer DMM motors/drivers are coming (I did read few months old post that newer drivers will be easy to set up, there was also some discussion on more powerful motors).

5)From electrical side, will I need anything else if I have the kit? I am aware of inverter, spindle and computer need and am getting it.

Thanks

azam1959
    There is not much more you need than the kit, 16gauge wire & some connectors, They are very easy to set up, so it does not matter what you get, The new system will auto tune to the load the motor is seeing, so will never need any set up at all, That still will be some time yet be for they are released

On your machine, what ballscrews will it have, & how much travel does it have, you may not need that size motor
    Mactec54

Thanks Mectec54. This information is good and encouraging. Can you say bit more on connectors and wire? I see that motors do come with few feet of wires are these connectors and wire to increase the length of wire from motor? Second I am not sure how to connect motor wires to the controllers, on the circuit diagram I saw three connections but I am sure there will be some type of interface b/w motor wire and controller. Three motor kit come with two power supply and four motor kit come with three power supplies; I do not understand why will I need more than one power supply.
    Then there is an issue of putting everything neatly in a box. I do read that folks have issue with noise and may be wrong box or untidy wiring contribute to this issue. Any suggestion which box should I use? I do not need wall mount, just a a small box which I can put bellow the table. Do I need to put in the fan in the box or can I buy the box with fan installed? How folks power the fan? (yup you are dealing with totally novice). For the EStop, can I just screw it on top of box and drill a hole to take the wire inside and connect to board inside?

I will have 2525BS with 110 x 55 inch working area. You are right about motor being too big and I may go with three motor kit for now and when I add indexer I can get a smaller motor/controller combo.

As for timing, I can wait for table components to come in next few weeks and I can concentrate on the table first. Me being new and delays I am seeing with the table shipping this will easily take me in Feb and perhaps new controller is available in few months.

One of the post mentioned good customer service, may be I should call them and ask the questions I have and seek help with the enclosure.

Regards,
    azam1959
    There is not much more you need than the kit, 16gauge wire & some connectors, They are very easy to set up, so it does not matter what you get, The new system will auto tune to the load the motor is seeing, so will never need any set up at all, That still will be some time yet be for they are released

On your machine, what ballscrews will it have, & how much travel does it have, you may not need that size motor

azam1959

Lots of questions, that is good,If you are in the US I'm just a phone call away, to help you, Get your system going

The motors are the right ones for a ballscrew of 25x25, so you are on the right track there, You could not go with a smaller motor unless you geared it down

The motor wires are labeled A B C The Drive has the same label on it, you can extend the motor wires with the same type of cable, They can be spliced together, or you can use plugs/connectors, A lot of care is needed when doing this to make sure that the wires match the Label letters A B C on the Drive & the motor

The enclosure is really up to you to decide what you want to use, Some are using old computer cases, anything you want will do, Mount everything on a panel & then find or make a box to put it in, Yes you can put the Estop anywere you want

The Breakout Board needs to be mounted on a plastic standoff in each corner 1/4" is plenty high enough
    Mactec54

Thanks. I will need lot of mentoring and coaching and can use few friends. I am in NJ and been reading your posts and seeing your work. You will be hearing from me at right time.

I think for enclosure, I will stick with local suppliers/electric stores. I bet I will be making lot of trips there.

Cheers

update

Other folks may be interested in this one ....

I did talk to DMM and they can upgrade the controller in the kit. New controller is more powerful and do use 60V. Of course this will need 60V power supply and I am been told that new power supply is in stock.

And more .... DMM is willing to change the wire on the motor to whatever length you want and they can even put all of this in a box (of course they will charge for the labor and material).

Seems too good to be true but I will get a quote this afternoon. If there is any interest I will post an update after connecting control box with my router table (will be in Jan if I am lucky).

Hi all,

I have started work on my second mill conversion and plan on flood coolant for this mill so I would like information
    on how water resistant the motors and decoders are, and or, how best to waterproof them.

I will be using the large 400 watt motors.

The build thread is here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...house_--3.html

Thank you for the help
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

giz

The 110/220V Drives are now being tested,A release time has not yet be set, the 7.2nm motor now can run up to 5,000 RPM
    Mactec54

kregan

The encoders are sealed so that part should not be a problem, the motors are not, You could do what Haas & many other manufactures do, with just a sheet metal cover/box over the motors, the bottom of the cover/box is left open, & sealed were it mounts to the machine
    Mactec54

The motors are the right ones for a ballscrew of 25x25, so you are on the right track there, You could not go with a smaller motor unless you geared it down
    lies, all lies!

this machine actually runs happily with a cheapie 270 oz in nema23 stepper on a 42v power supply, all the way up to 1000ipm with acceleration set pretty high as well. basically a 400w 3000rpm (1.27nm continuous torque servo would work well with a small spindle. 750w 3000rpm (2.4nm) would be fine for a 3hp spindle. peak torque is 3x the contunuous for short durations on most brushless servos.

the dmm 300w 1000rpm 2.9nm model is a little overkill for this router in general, even with a 3hp colombo spindle, but its cheap and the speed cutoff is in the perfect range (984ipm x 787ipm y and 630ipm z). if you run the 400w dmm with a belt, youll be 50% faster, and almost the same torque, more compact, and cheaper. but of course you need to rig a belt and pully set.

i know a couple of xzero demons have the 1000rpm models installed already, should be a video of it running somewhere if im not mistaken.

ihavenofish
    Quote es, all lies!
    i know a couple of xzero demons have the 1000rpm models installed already, should be a video of it running somewhere if im not mistaken.

It is quite obvious you have no clue what you are talking about as usual,

You said it is the wrong servo motors, then at the end of your post say there are some xzero demons with the 1000rpm motors

That is what he is looking at & going to use for his demon machine, just the same as what is being used already
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 22 123412