586,652 active members*
2,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Please Help With Boss 5

Just got my new (to me) S1 boss 5 up and running in my home shop. This is my first cnc machine. I think i got a good deal at 2000.00 as this thing looks and seems to run like new, and it's 4 mule away. It has been in storage for like 16 years. I had a programmer friend of mine come over and run it through it's paces and it seems to be very tight in all respects. I plan to use as is while I aquire the components to convert to servos and a PC. I use bobcad 18 alot and have the afore mentioned friend cut the stuff at his work on the haas machine. Can someone please refer me to some reading or advice about going from bobcad to the Boss controll, my limited knowlage leads me to the conclusion that it should be possible via rs232 or something. I've also heard some things about "drip" or "spoon" feeding? Will this thing do simultanious 3d stuff? Any help would be great. thanks. Dave

You will need a proper "post processor" for bobcad to create a program that the BOSS 5 can understand.
    You need a cable and communication software such as PROCOMM.
    The program cannot be too long because as the machine is, it will not DNC (drip feed). To DNC you will need the Bridgeport optional DNC unit, or a BTR (behind tape reader) unit.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bobcad has the post processor on their website. It will do linear interpolation in all 3 axis simultaneously, but not circular. With arcs you are limited to either the xy, yz, or xz plane. Also you cannot do a full circle unless you first enter G75. If you don't enter G75 then you have to do the circle in quadrants. With G75 enabled you are limited to xy plane only, make sure you do not give the machine any k's (as in ijk), it goes nuts.
    I think all the processors on Bobcad's website just break the arcs down into quadrants, which kind of sucks because it will pause at the end of each arc.

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help. This is a great web site! It has been very informative. Like i said before I plan to do a PC conversion in time. I want to use "the new and improved universal CNC controller curently being written about in Machinist Workshop, Any thoughts? Also as I look for parts what should I be looking for as far as Servos go? I'm sure this has been covered to death here so maybe just point me to the right post.-Dave