586,488 active members*
2,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > How to tell the difference in PlasmaCam machines?

How to tell the difference in PlasmaCam machines?

I am looking at a used PlasmaCam rig and am wondering how to tell the difference between a 98z, DHC, or DHC2? The shop that has it does not have a lot of information on it other than it is blue and it is a plasmacam. The price is right but I don't really have a day to waste looking at it if it is a 98Z without torch height control. Plus is there a lot of functional difference between a DHC and a DHC2?

Which PlasmaCAM is it?

Hi Mickey_D,
    ask the seller for the Serial number for the table. It is located on the left front leg (under controller) on the later models. You can then get hold of PlasmaCAM direct and they will be able to tell you which model it is. The DHC and DHC2 are the better to go for. I don't believe you can update the older 98Z with out virtually buying a whole new table. If possible you may also be able to see which type of torch holder it has. The older models had a single clamp system on the handle where as the DHC2 has a twin clamp system holding the handle and head.
    Have fun.

I have a 98-z and i'm happy with it. I have only had minor problems with it and for the price I paid for it i was very happy. The 98-z actually drags on the surface when it cuts. You wouldnt be able to cut parts that raise up and down. But the next model (dhc) will move the torch up and down to be able to cut something that the material is up and down. I cut all flat stock so it doesnt bother me.

How to tell Plasmacam models

Each Plasmacam has a plaque on one leg that has the model and serial number.
    A 98-Z has a black pancake z-motor.
    A DHC has a silver z-motor that says DHC.
    The DHC2 has a square black z-motor.

george