587,051 active members*
3,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    bpoulin,
    I'll have some results soon, with several types of mask. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks, Alan O

I hate to necro an old thread, but what was the outcome?

bpoulin,
    Sorry about the delay. I decided to purchase a 40 watt Full Spectrum Laser, and decided to do my own experimentation when it came in. As a matter of fact, it arrived a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet (Deadlines and orders to fill). I will give you the results then. Thanks, AO

Engraving into bricks is done with galvo based systems with exaggerated spots to melt the glass in the clay brick to turn them black. WE do this all the time in our shop. The results you will achieve with a flying optic system will be subpar and take forever.

A 60 -100W galvo based system should work fine. WE have them by the way
    Usedlasermarkingsystems.com
    www.FocusedLightEngraving.com
    [email protected]

If you are going to spend $40,000 on a 1 micron system at least buy a Fiber laser based system.

If you are going to buy a YAG system, at least get a DPSS system.

Flash lamp based systems are known for their extremely short lifetimes, poor reliability, extremely low efficiency and low repetition rates.

Galvos have much faster acceleration but will always have a bigger spot size than a flying spot even with a high end F-theta lens. Doesn't help when your flash based system takes forever to recharge either.

__________________________________________________ _______

Win a free 40w laser engraver: Full Spectrum Laser LLC

A galvo based C02 is the way to do this job if you are in need of speed and throughput. If I had to run this on a flying optic system I would defocus the spot a bit.

Our flash lamp systems are capable of .004" spot size.
    There is no such thing as a fiber delivered C02, fiber YAG or diode pumped fiber optic delivery YAG is the new way but does not give you the ability to configure the machine for different items such as a wide arrange of q-switching.

This is a much different subject and not the matter at hand.

OP if you would like, send us your samples and we can shoot short videos of a 60W galvo based (10" field) universal marking the brick and a 50W coherent flying optic system (2" FL) marking the brick.

Hope this helps!
    www.FocusedLightEngraving.com
    [email protected]

I tried this on what turned out to be a concrete brick. It bleaches the color out of the concrete but doesn't have any etch depth. I can't find clay bricks around me to try. I think I'll stick to sandblasting brick.

P.S. I can't justify 30-40K to be able to etch bricks... A $200 sandblast booth and sandblast vinyl work fine.

Hurricane21 Guest
    You can still get this effect with a CO2 Laser Engraving machine. The problem here is the wattage. You need an 80 Watt tube to produce enough power to melt the clay into glass. You can get a very nice effect if you do not melt the glass with a 60Watt - a brown engraving - I have included a photo of of the differences here. Also - to get the glossy black effect, your lens needs to be slightly out of focus.
    Hope this Helps
    Hurricane Lasers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brick1.jpg   brick2.jpg  

John, is that just a standard red brick? Can you share details about speed, power level, and number of passes?

Page 2 of 2 12