586,493 active members*
2,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 4 inch double lock vises on a mini-mill

4 inch double lock vises on a mini-mill

Like the title says, is it possible to run a pair of 4" double lock vises on a mini mill? any clearance issues?

Thanks!

Check it out for your self:

The Y travel is 12 inches.

Measure the distance inside the MiniMill enclosure from the inside of the door to the Z way covers at the back; this is measurement M.

Measure the overall length of the vise from the end of the screw to the back end of the moving jaw when the vise is fully open; this is measurement V.

If M minus V is smaller than 12 inches you cannot mount the vise without it hitting either the door when the machine is at Y0. or the way covers when it is at Y-12.0.

If M minus V is larger than 12 inches you are okay.

However, if M minus V is something like 10 or 11 inches and you are machining small parts it may be possible to mount the 4" doublelock and use it safely by reducing the maximum Y travel to 10 inches. This will only work if you still have enough travel to reach all around your parts.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I don't have a mini, I'm considering what size machine would best suit me and was wondering if anyone runs double locks or if they will even fit without clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by durbinmachine View Post
    I don't have a mini, I'm considering what size machine would best suit me and was wondering if anyone runs double locks or if they will even fit without clearance issues.
    A Kurt Double Lock will fit on the Mini Mill. It leaves you about 3" between the hex nut on the vise and the sheet metal when Y is home.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    A Kurt Double Lock will fit on the Mini Mill. It leaves you about 3" between the hex nut on the vise and the sheet metal when Y is home.
    Great, Thanks. One more question, is that enough room to leave the handles on the vises, I would assume it's no problem, but you know what they say about assuming

Quote Originally Posted by durbinmachine View Post
    Great, Thanks. One more question, is that enough room to leave the handles on the vises, I would assume it's no problem, but you know what they say about assuming
    I don't have dimensions on the handles, but I can't imagine the handle sticks out more than a couple inches, so best guess is yes, you can leave the handles on and still clear the sheet metal.

How about mounting two 4" double lock vises along the X axis?

Lightbulb

Hmm.. Bit like selecting and apple, then choosing the software.