586,366 active members*
3,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Parts for 4x8 Plasma Table

Hey guys,
    I have been lurking for some time now and finally started getting my parts together. I am for the most part copying Dnelso's build. Before I make a costly mistake I would like to get some inputs on some of the parts I have chosen. And I am a newbie so if I ask a stupid question, that's why!

Here are the parts and prices I have been quoted so far, as well as the source.

Steel for the build will be around $600 and I am making the table 9' x 5' so I can come off the cutting area a bit.

If the space is blank that is because I haven’t gotten that far!

I have a few questions. I am looking at Anaheim Gear for a reduction unit. They are high priced but still within the budget $250ish for the direct drive and $500+ for the 90deg. angle.
    The problems I am having are the gear reduction ratio to get and the resolution change due to backlash. There inline unit stated a backlash of (12 arc-min) and the 90 deg. unit is (22 arc-min) are these acceptable #s for Plasma? Also the torque ratings, everything I read is showing a 3:1 reduction is the best?

I am hearing 20* pitch on the rack?
    Thanks for the help!!

Yes 20* on the rack. Also check Cncrouterparts.com for their shuttles that have a 3:1 reduction. I've got a slew of parts from them for my new build and I'm pleased with what I got. I'd say the backlash on those reduction boxes won't affect much with plasma just due to the nature of plasma in general.

I ordered from more gear and instead of longer pieces they recommended just buying 6' racks and piecing them together on the table assuring me that it wasn't a difficult task. Saved quite a bit in shipping.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep07 View Post
    Yes 20* on the rack. Also check Cncrouterparts.com for their shuttles that have a 3:1 reduction. I've got a slew of parts from them for my new build and I'm pleased with what I got. I'd say the backlash on those reduction boxes won't affect much with plasma just due to the nature of plasma in general.

I ordered from more gear and instead of longer pieces they recommended just buying 6' racks and piecing them together on the table assuring me that it wasn't a difficult task. Saved quite a bit in shipping.

Anyway looking forward to seeing the build.
    Thanks for the help! I talked to the ladies at Moore Gear and she told me about Cncrouterparts! I think I am going with there 3:1 reduction set as well. It's a lot cheaper than the planetary reduction sets!

Good to forget about the gear boxes.
    You need 2-5' rails and 8 blocks
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Good to forget about the gear boxes.
    You need 2-5' rails and 8 blocks
    Larry
    Thanks for the tips Larry!