586,983 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

HF 7x12 mini lathe

Hello to all the find cnczone folks, name is Jeremy, currently living in GA and am looking to become a machining hobbyist =D.

i currently have some parts i have machined that i sell as part of my business. would really love to be able to do some stuff on my own so after countless hours of youtube videos and forum posts I have bit the bullet and bought the 7x12 from HF using their thanksgiving 25% off, came to around $460 shipped. I know there are a lot things suggest to upgrade out of the box, been looking at that all day.

So I dont mind throwing 200-300 more at it here in the near future. So what I was wondering is what essential upgrades do you think I should go for first, along with what blades should I get to start with. I was thinking of getting this from LMS, good to have?

LittleMachineShop.com - Tooling Package, Mini Lathe

I look forward to your guys' suggestions, becoming a part of this awesome forum and learning from everyones wisdom. I hope to also one day do a CNC conversion on it once I get used to the ins and outs of manually using it.

Happy Turkey Day everyone!!

Hi Jeremy,
    Congratulations on aquiring a minilathe.
    I would warn you against buying cheap brazed carbide tooling. My initial experiences with my minilathe were not good-see here:
    Initial experiences. - mikesworkshop
    Two very useful initial mods are a carriage lock and adding a camlock to the tailstock:
    Carriage lock - mikesworkshop
    Tailstock modifications - mikesworkshop
    You will find many other modifications on my site.
    I also suggest you look at
    GadgetBuilder's MiniLathe Site and mini-lathe.com home page
    Mike

sounds good, thanks for the info. so where would you suggest buying my cutting tools from and what would be the best ones to start off with.

looks like im gonna have to get a benchtop grinder and eventually a mill so i can make all these modifications i am seeing

Hi Jeremy,
    I cannot really help regardig where to by tools from since I am on the other side of the pond. However, Littlemachineshop has a very good reputation and you would probably be alright sourcing from them. I would suggest that you buy some HSS steel blanks and a grinder as soon as possible and learn to grind your own tools. This is a cheap solution, the blanks should only cost a dollar or so each, and they can be easily resharpened. HSS tends to provide a better finish than carbide tooling. The alternative is to buy tools with replaceable (indexable) carbide tips.
    I hope this helps.
    Mike

been looking at your site all morning. love all your modifications you have done to your machine, looking forward to following your site and doing some of those as well.

yeah i will definitely get a grinder and learn to grind my own tools. would the tools included with this kit get me by to start tinkering with the machine? the countless sites i read say that the QCTP is also an essential upgrade.

LittleMachineShop.com - Tooling Package, Mini Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by drmico60 View Post
    Hi Jeremy,
    I cannot really help regardig where to by tools from since I am on the other side of the pond. However, Littlemachineshop has a very good reputation and you would probably be alright sourcing from them. I would suggest that you buy some HSS steel blanks and a grinder as soon as possible and learn to grind your own tools. This is a cheap solution, the blanks should only cost a dollar or so each, and they can be easily resharpened. HSS tends to provide a better finish than carbide tooling. The alternative is to buy tools with replaceable (indexable) carbide tips.
    I hope this helps.
    Mike

Hi Jeremy,
    The starter kit from LMS looks quite good and should get you going fairly quickly.
    Mike

drmico is right I believe, that the LMS kit looks like a great place to start, although I am confused as to why it comes with a drill chuck. My 7x came with one. I do have to politely disagree with buying HSS blanks and a grinder, unless you go big with the grinder, or small with the tool bits. Grinding a cutting tool from a blank requires a grinder with balls, and a larger grinding wheel will serve you well.

I personally think the indexable tools that come with the LMS starter kit are junk, but it's a place to start.
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>
    <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/tooldesign" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a>

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    drmico is right I believe, that the LMS kit looks like a great place to start, although I am confused as to why it comes with a drill chuck. My 7x came with one. I do have to politely disagree with buying HSS blanks and a grinder, unless you go big with the grinder, or small with the tool bits. Grinding a cutting tool from a blank requires a grinder with balls, and a larger grinding wheel will serve you well.

I personally think the indexable tools that come with the LMS starter kit are junk, but it's a place to start.
    thanks for the reply blades, it was actually your awesome CNC conversion thread that tipped the scale and made me go through with the purchase.

as for the drill chuck i guess i will wait to see if i get one with it. so you are saying that i should just buy preformed HSS tools? what would be the best/most cost effective ones/place to get them.

as for the indexable tools, instead of those what/where would you suggest for those also?

thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming. very excited to get this thing and start tinkering with it

Thanks for the props Jeremy! :cheers:
    I'm afraid I can't point you in any specific direction to find pre-ground HSS bits, as I've never seen any. But as knudsen reminded me last night when I was talking to him, one company makes HSS inserts for indexable tool holders.

The problem I have with the indexable tool bits included with the LMS starter kit is that some years ago I had experience with an identical set like this, but on a full-size lathe. The carbide was sub-par and lost it's edge rather quickly, and the clamping screws were extremely small, making it impossible to keep the inserts adequately tight due to having to use such a small allen wrench. *DISCLAIMER* that's IF the ones from LMS are the same as the ones I previously used. Again, they look the same, and LMS sells the tool bit set alone for $32. A really decent indexable tool holder would cost more than that for just 1 holder.

Now these bits would presumably be more suited to a 7x lathe than they were to a full-size lathe, but back then I considered them to be junk. To be honest I have not really looked that seriuosly into higher quality indexable tooling just yet, but I need to pretty soon.

I really do like the quick tool change holders and boring bar set though. Those items look pretty decent. I would seriously consider this set myself, but I'm working on a vertical 4-tool indexer and won't have any need for the quick-change tool post if this little side project works out.
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mini-lathe/82871-7-x-10-project-started.html" target="_blank">7X10 Lathe conversion</a>
    <a href="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-source-cnc-machine-designs/335846-cnc.html" target="_blank">Custom X-Carve router</a>

That LMS kit is a great start--highly recommended.

I have the exact LMS kit and use every part of it. The QCTP could be designed a little better but it gets the job done. This will get you going on cutting but don't forget your measuring tools....

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    I have the exact LMS kit and use every part of it. The QCTP could be designed a little better but it gets the job done. This will get you going on cutting but don't forget your measuring tools....

what would you recommend. i have digital calipers, was thinking of getting a dial indicator.

should i get a center gage and angle gages

Hey Jermie, what's your take on the indexable carbide tools that come with the kit? Decent?

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    Thanks for the props Jeremy! :cheers:
    I'm afraid I can't point you in any specific direction to find pre-ground HSS bits, as I've never seen any. But as knudsen reminded me last night when I was talking to him, one company makes HSS inserts for indexable tool holders.
    That's AR Warner, carried by LMS. LittleMachineShop.com - Indexable Inserts
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

Thanks buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    what would you recommend. i have digital calipers, was thinking of getting a dial indicator.

should i get a center gage and angle gages
    This is a good buy if you need indicators (which you will): LittleMachineShop.com - Inspection Kit, 6-Piece

Center gauge--you mean for threading. Yes if you plan on turning threads.

Angle gauges--If you have a mill look on ebay for ENCO angle gauges for about $10 shipped. A steal. For you lathe I'd get a square head protractor instead.

Warning: You can spend tons-o-$$$ at LMS.

Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude View Post
    This is a good buy if you need indicators (which you will): LittleMachineShop.com - Inspection Kit, 6-Piece

Center gauge--you mean for threading. Yes if you plan on turning threads.

Angle gauges--If you have a mill look on ebay for ENCO angle gauges for about $10 shipped. A steal. For you lathe I'd get a square head protractor instead.

Warning: You can spend tons-o-$$$ at LMS.

yes i am trying to stay away from that site. i am notorious for purchasing extras for stuff, i dont even have the lathe yet, used one or anything and so much on that site that i would get just because it makes it better lol.

ill look into getting what you posted. i dont have a mill.... yet. will definitely be looking into getting one though so it opens up the parts i can make. thats one of the coolest things that interested me in this as a hobby is that the machines themselves can be used to make parts for itself and upgrade it.

i will probably start out with the a2z QCTP set. i know there are better but i think it will hopefully get me by until i get more into upgrading it and turning stuff.

thanks for all the info guys, will definitely be around this forum more often after the machine comes in.

Be aware the A2Z is aluminum. It works and people like them, but they are not going to wear like steel. You might look at the imported steel 0XA from LMS. I got the cheapest one, the Tormac. All the set screws sucked and so did the knurled knobs, so you have to factor in a bunch of quality set screws and the time to make the new knobs. The other 0XA wedge type might not have the same issues, and the price is now the same. It's a roll of the dice when you buy this stuff.
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

An aluminum QCTP? Doesn't sound like the best choice for material.

Sorry for the late reply but yes it is made from 7075 aluminum but works fine. I love the A2Z on the 7X10. There isn't much on a QCTP for ware other than the cam mechanism on the inside of the post.

The carbine inserts are great for the lathe. The TCMT inserts that come with the kit work great and I even cut some hardened steel with them. I am also using the same indexable cutters on my 9X30 lathe (to tight on money to upgrade to 1/2 tooling lol)

With out a doubt you need a dial test indicator or a dial indicator so test the runout of parts and to accurately center your work. I have yet to buy an angle gauge but the more I work on things the more I need one.

What do you mean by a "center gauge"? if you mean a co-axial dial indicator then yes. I bought mine from shars and love it as well.

Page 1 of 4 123