586,357 active members*
2,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multiple part 2.5D milling (with tabs)

Hi there,

I was looking into that for quite some time but did not find a solution for importing multiple SC parts into one SW assembly and milling such an assembly from one stock.

Have tried the obvious: 1. Designing SW part => 2. Generating SC part => 3. Creating assembly => 4. Inserting SW part into assembly => My efforts end just here since I cannot "re-connect" to the SC part.

If someone could spread some light about the workflow necessary, this would be super appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Hanns

PS. The tabs - well that might be a bit to challenging for now...

Hans,

You don't need to creat an assembly. Program your part as one piece, select all the jobs, right click and select "Transform" This opens a menu where you can repeat your jobs offset in X & Y. Just make sure that your stock model is big enough to accomodate them all for SolidVerify.

multiple 'different' parts

Hi Bob,

Thanks, that is clarification and very handy to know! Crazy I haven't seen that before...

What I am looking for though is to nest multiple different parts into one assembly. I expect no nesting feature, only a simple way to arrange multiple different CAM parts into one stock (or assembly?). To cut it short: Kind of what you would need to prepare for routing the multiple pieces of an "infamous 3d dinosaur puzzle".

Thanks again. All the best, Hanns

Hi, Just to close this thread: At last I found 'a' solution; to my understanding even quite elegant. Here's what I did for 2.5d routing: Start an assembly with a part the size of your stock. Use this one for coordinates, stock and target definition. Save that assembly. Now insert all parts to be machined from that stock. Generate operations for all parts now. Eventually save all. Solidcam/Solidworks makes a copy of all parts to the folder of the assembly. All changes on these will be forwarded to the assembly. This is a bit of newbiish description. Hope someone will someday find it useful anyhow. It works for me at least. Thanks again, Hanns