586,884 active members*
3,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > MORE options I want to see Tormach make...
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Hey not to add but you should check with who you comment about before doing it negative you would think differently if you knew my expeirence and who and what I do for a living.
    That's a two-way street there, buddy. I'm not some home-shop guy putzing around with a Sterling engine. I've worked in production shops, job shops, oil-field shops, maintenance shops and hobby shops on everything from mud-motors to cushion-hitches...

Everyone has had a big chip on their shoulder since I started posting threads like this as if their opinion is the only one that matters, as if they are the only ones that know anything about machining, as if Tormach listens to them directly.

I'm putting out ideas for the community to use and all you're putting out is negative comments regarding these ideas. Well if you know so damn much why can't you come up with any positive comments to add? Because you're full of **** and full of yourself. You're just another internet warrior with a bloated ego and sorely lacking common sense.

I don't care what your name is, where you're from, or what you've done...the only thing that matters in life is what you're capable of doing now. You wanna rest on your laurels and expect me to grovel at your feet like some kind of hero, ain't gonna happen. You want some respect for your ability, you better start making some stuff that knocks me on my ass...because so far your attitude hasn't impressed me in the least.

You tried to make this about me, rather than about the idea & the products I highlighted. That's fine, I've got big shoulders, an agile mind and a quick wit. So far all you've got is a grudge and an attitude.

So here's the criteria...if you can't give some VERIFIABLE, PROVEN reasons why this can't/won't work...DO NOT POST. I don't want to hear your opinion, I only care about facts. If you aren't posting in regards to the PRODUCT IDEAS...DO NOT POST. I don't want to hear your opinion about me, I only care about facts regarding the product ideas.

I don't care if this pisses you off. If you knew half of what you think you know, you would be presenting ideas yourselves, rather than getting on someone else for doing it. Your OPINIONS have no value. Any FACTS that can be verified are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    That's a two-way street there, buddy. I'm not some home-shop guy putzing around with a Sterling engine. I've worked in production shops, job shops, oil-field shops, maintenance shops and hobby shops on everything from mud-motors to cushion-hitches...

Everyone has had a big chip on their shoulder since I started posting threads like this as if their opinion is the only one that matters, as if they are the only ones that know anything about machining, as if Tormach listens to them directly.

I'm putting out ideas for the community to use and all you're putting out is negative comments regarding these ideas. Well if you know so damn much why can't you come up with any positive comments to add? Because you're full of **** and full of yourself. You're just another internet warrior with a bloated ego and sorely lacking common sense.

I don't care what your name is, where you're from, or what you've done...the only thing that matters in life is what you're capable of doing now. You wanna rest on your laurels and expect me to grovel at your feet like some kind of hero, ain't gonna happen. You want some respect for your ability, you better start making some stuff that knocks me on my ass...because so far your attitude hasn't impressed me in the least.

You tried to make this about me, rather than about the idea & the products I highlighted. That's fine, I've got big shoulders, an agile mind and a quick wit. So far all you've got is a grudge and an attitude.

So here's the criteria...if you can't give some VERIFIABLE, PROVEN reasons why this can't/won't work...DO NOT POST. I don't want to hear your opinion, I only care about facts. If you aren't posting in regards to the PRODUCT IDEAS...DO NOT POST. I don't want to hear your opinion about me, I only care about facts regarding the product ideas.

I don't care if this pisses you off. If you knew half of what you think you know, you would be presenting ideas yourselves, rather than getting on someone else for doing it. Your OPINIONS have no value. Any FACTS that can be verified are welcome.
    I only got to the point of ideas that are more practical for sale sorry if I hurt your feelings

Quote Originally Posted by HLF Ordnance View Post

My use for the RAM EDM would be to square up a radius as oppose to using a modified press and broach or sometimes a hand file.
    Some way to broach would be nice, I don't really like the idea of using the Z axis to broach though, Hoss did something like .001" removal per pass at 1" deep I think, that's 250 x 2 x 1 = 500 1" Z movements just to get one single 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" deep internal keyway broached.

But if you had something that hooked up to the spindle nose (like the speeder), had it's own little tool holder that was centered with the actual spindle and was run by the power of the rotating spindle that converted rotary motion into sawing motion you could saw (or just single point push cut) a keyway into something.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    Some way to broach would be nice, I don't really like the idea of using the Z axis to broach though, Hoss did something like .001" removal per pass at 1" deep I think, that's 250 x 2 x 1 = 500 1" Z movements just to get one single 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" deep internal keyway broached.

But if you had something that hooked up to the spindle nose (like the speeder), had it's own little tool holder that was centered with the actual spindle and was run by the power of the rotating spindle that converted rotary motion into sawing motion you could saw (or just single point push cut) a keyway into something.
    You mean something like this: RAZORFORM TOOLS

with this: National Machine Tool - Internal Mechanics

or this: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucGMDjZXHB4"]YouTube - 4th Axis internal spline cutting. CNC automated. bridgeport peiseiler broach[/nomedia]

or this: (sorry I can't find it...there is a guy here on the Zone that made a spindle driven key-seater than bolts to the table for doing internal keyseats and splines)

+1 on rotary broaching.

It uses a toolholder that has a slight (like 1deg) cant to the rotational axis that causes the tool to wobble and nibble away as it's driven through the workpiece. It's pretty fast and probably doesn't put much more load on the spindle than plunge milling.

Slater Tools makes a lot of tooling for this. They have holders with 3/4" shanks that look like they might work with TTS if you stuck a collar on them. Pretty spendy IIRC (~$500-$1000?) but made for high production. LittleMachineShop also recently added some no-name ones that are a lot cheaper but the only holders they have are MT or R8 shanks so you'd need a little more work. A TTS-native broach holder at an intermediate price-quality point could be a really nice accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    +1 on rotary broaching.

It uses a toolholder that has a slight (like 1deg) cant to the rotational axis that causes the tool to wobble and nibble away as it's driven through the workpiece. It's pretty fast and probably doesn't put much more load on the spindle than plunge milling.

Slater Tools makes a lot of tooling for this. They have holders with 3/4" shanks that look like they might work with TTS if you stuck a collar on them. Pretty spendy IIRC (~$500-$1000?) but made for high production. LittleMachineShop also recently added some no-name ones that are a lot cheaper but the only holders they have are MT or R8 shanks so you'd need a little more work. A TTS-native broach holder at an intermediate price-quality point could be a really nice accessory.
    Ever see a wiggler broach? I dont know how large they make them but pretty simple and works pretty good for blind holes.

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    You mean something like this: RAZORFORM TOOLS

with this: National Machine Tool - Internal Mechanics

or this: YouTube - 4th Axis internal spline cutting. CNC automated. bridgeport peiseiler broach

or this: (sorry I can't find it...there is a guy here on the Zone that made a spindle driven key-seater than bolts to the table for doing internal keyseats and splines)
    Yeah, if that Razorform tools thing could be mounted in some sort of thing that had rigid up and down movement that was powered by the spindle rotation............
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

new gismo ?

Every once in a blue moon we mill materials that create very fine dust instead of chips. One cannot use coolant unless you want to clean the machine from sludge for days....

So we stay there and hold the vac close to the cut to suck off the worst dust.

We would be looking for some sort of fixture that can be mounted to the spindle where we can connect the vacuum and the dust will be sucked away from the cutting area. Could be similar to one of the numerous coolant nozzle wonders seen here in this forum, just needs larger openings.

If somebody knows something - that would be a tremendous help!

Benji

Quote Originally Posted by benji2505 View Post
    We would be looking for some sort of fixture that can be mounted to the spindle where we can connect the vacuum and the dust will be sucked away from the cutting area. Could be similar to one of the numerous coolant nozzle wonders seen here in this forum, just needs larger openings.

If somebody knows something - that would be a tremendous help!

Benji
    Why don't you make a mount similar to the Tormach high speed spindle adapter and use it to hold a vacuum hose. Almost any material would be suitable.

bob

suction fixture design

just clamping the vacuum to the spindle won't do the trick since the dust is flying in all directions depending on where the cut goes.

You have to have a minimum of 4 (preferrably more) tube openings surrounding the TTS holder whose opening area have a maximum of that of the vacuum opening (otherwise you loose suction effect). The coolant tube systems that you see here on the forum probably show the way.

Quote Originally Posted by benji2505 View Post
    just clamping the vacuum to the spindle won't do the trick since the dust is flying in all directions depending on where the cut goes.

You have to have a minimum of 4 (preferrably more) tube openings surrounding the TTS holder whose opening area have a maximum of that of the vacuum opening (otherwise you loose suction effect). The coolant tube systems that you see here on the forum probably show the way.
    You want what's called a router-shoe.

Get an acrylic or lexan tube that fits over the spindle nose using a clamp, with a vaccuum port on the side, and a bristle-brush rim that's as long as the tools you normally use for an op like that...

It works for the router guys, don't see why it wouldn't work in your application.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    +1 on rotary broaching.

Slater Tools makes a lot of tooling for this..
    +2 on rotary broaching
    Also check out Polygon Solutions for newer broaching tool designs. Their holder has a vent hole that reduces the load on the spindle.

Page 2 of 2 12