586,471 active members*
3,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Steppers running Hot?

I am running 2 (6amp) & 1 (3.75V 2amp) stepper motors, With 68VDC. The 6amp's seem to run fine, but after awhile they get hot from sitting or until i do alot of rapid moves. But the small z motor gets super hot to touch, when its just sitting there, in about 10mins?

Also i need help setting up Turbcnc, I've set it up with 200steps/rev, 5.0625 TPI, 10Microstep, 1:1 Gear. & it came to a scale of 0.00009876, but it wasn't make an inch, so i adjusted the scale to 0.00009816, It now makes an exact inche when told to go an inch. But my question is why did i have to adjust it off like that?

Also what is good to set the Hz's at? for the motors ( 2 @ 1200Oz.in / 1 @ 270 Oz.in.)

-Will

Quote Originally Posted by drakesis
    I am running 2 (6amp) & 1 (3.75V 2amp) stepper motors, With 68VDC. The 6amp's seem to run fine, but after awhile they get hot from sitting or until i do alot of rapid moves. But the small z motor gets super hot to touch, when its just sitting there, in about 10mins?

Also i need help setting up Turbcnc, I've set it up with 200steps/rev, 5.0625 TPI, 10Microstep, 1:1 Gear. & it came to a scale of 0.00009876, but it wasn't make an inch, so i adjusted the scale to 0.00009816, It now makes an exact inche when told to go an inch. But my question is why did i have to adjust it off like that?

Also what is good to set the Hz's at? for the motors ( 2 @ 1200Oz.in / 1 @ 270 Oz.in.)

-Will
    what is the voltage and amperage to motors from driver boards? they all should not be the same if you have different spec motors.

Here's some suggestions

1. Your current is set too high or you forget to set it.
    2. You have an 8 wire motor and you did not wire it as bipolar parallel.
    3. The motor's ratings were in error.

Hi,
    Have you checked the actual temp of the motors ?
    Most modern steppers are designed to run at 200 degrees F plus at full amps.
    Check the spec sheet, I will post back a good low cost non contact temp probes web site tomorrow.
    Thanks, Dean

I picked up an alltrade infra red temp gun at costco for 60 usd, when I was in the states. I've checked it against some name brand models, and it's bang on.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

I'm gonna measure the voltages tomorrow, there could be a chance that i'm running it too high.

Also i was told that maybe i have the Accel set too high in Turbocnc.

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR
    I picked up an alltrade infra red temp gun at costco for 60 usd, when I was in the states. I've checked it against some name brand models, and it's bang on.

Ooh, nice, i'll have to check into that. Could come in real handy.

Quote Originally Posted by drakesis
    Also i was told that maybe i have the Accel set too high in Turbocnc.
    That has nothing to do with how hot the motors get.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

68v into a 3.7 volt motor.
    i think you are getting close to sparks range there, especially if they are running hot and if the insulation isn't up to snuff.
    even tho the current is limited the electrical pressure is still there.
    how fast do you need to turn these motors?

The web site for the temp probes is www.tempgun.com. I use the PE1 temp gun ($25 on their web site) and it work great, I have verified it with a contact unit and it's usually very close, the only problem which I think is with all infrared units is they will read low on shiny or bright surfaces. Most motors are black so shouldn't be a problem.
    On the voltage, most info I have seen recommend no more than 25 times the rated voltage of the motor so you should be okay there.
    Dean