586,677 active members*
2,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc Om Drip Feed Problem

Hello to all,

I' am having a small problem with my control.
    First of all I have 2 mills both using Fanuc Om.
    I set up the drip feeding on both and they both work just fine.
    Sending/Recieving programs no trouble at all.
    The only problem I have with 1 of the mills is that after drip feeding and the part/program is finished, the transfer status window which apears when sending/recieving data is not saying "transfer done". So the status windows stays at 99% even though M30 already was read. It just hangs and do nothing.
    It's then not possible to send new program because it the port is still in use.
    So I have to richt click and close window and pass through all the failure messages untill all is closed and ready to send again.
    I'am having this trouble with only 1 machine while the other works just fine.
    Is this mill not sending the X-on/X-off ? With drip feeding it's not buffering neither, just reads line after line.
    I have no clue at all. Any help would be appriciated.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stebedeff View Post
    Hello to all,

I' am having a small problem with my control.
    First of all I have 2 mills both using Fanuc Om.
    I set up the drip feeding on both and they both work just fine.
    Sending/Recieving programs no trouble at all.
    The only problem I have with 1 of the mills is that after drip feeding and the part/program is finished, the transfer status window which apears when sending/recieving data is not saying "transfer done". So the status windows stays at 99% even though M30 already was read. It just hangs and do nothing.
    It's then not possible to send new program because it the port is still in use.
    So I have to richt click and close window and pass through all the failure messages untill all is closed and ready to send again.
    I'am having this trouble with only 1 machine while the other works just fine.
    Is this mill not sending the X-on/X-off ? With drip feeding it's not buffering neither, just reads line after line.
    I have no clue at all. Any help would be appriciated.

thanks
    To determine if the control is send Xon (DC1) and Xoff (DC3), use software at the PC end that will display all characters received. Many transfer programs filter out any control characters that are not relevant to the CNC program if its being sent from the machine to the external device. If what you have as your transfer program can't be set to display all characters received, the Hyper Terminal that comes bundled with Windows will.

When Xon Xoff handshaking is set at the PC end, the Xon Xoff characters are intercepted by Windows at the Uart level and accordingly, you won't get to see them. However, if you set the handshaking to None, all characters will be received by the transfer software and can be displayed. Set the software up in this way and set it ready to receive. Then set the machine in the way you would normally for drip feeding (DNC), normally Tape Mode, and press the cycle start button. You should receive a DC1 character (ASCII 17) at the PC; you may also receive a Null character (ASCII 0). Both of these characters will not appear as a number or a character that you can read, but as a symbol such as a small square. The point is, if you are getting something, then the Handshaking is probably working.

If you get stuck doing this, contact me via PM and I'll send you a bit of software that will identify the control characters being sent from the machine, if any.

On many Fanuc contols, but I can't say for sure that I've seen it with series "O" controls, there is a parameter to set so that DC1 to DC4 characters are used. For example, it's parameter #5110 for the series 10 control. If this parameter does exist with the series "O" control, and you want to use software handshaking, then this parameter will have to be set.

If you can't get a resolve with the parameter, get a cable that is configured for Hardware Handshaking and set the transfer software to RTS/CTS (hardware handshaking), leaving baud rate, parity, data and stop bits the same and see if that make a difference.

Regards,

Bill

There are a couple parameters you should compare between controls (for 0M-C and 0M-D - not sure on 0M-A or 0M-B)

0390 bit 7 controls the output of DC3 during DNC (0 is each block, 1 is when the buffer's full)

0391 bit 6 controls whether DC codes are used. (0 is yes, 1 is no)