586,350 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Another Novakon NM-200 Series 2 CNC Mill Delivered
Page 1 of 2 12

Another Novakon NM-200 Series 2 CNC Mill Delivered

It was a hard decision to choose between the Novakon NM-200 and the Tormach PCNC 1100. This was primarily due to Tormach’s superior online documentation and large CNCzone following versus lack of online documentation on the Novakon web site as well as negative publicity from idesign and others.

I am happy to say that my anxiety, fears and sleepless nights thinking about which CNC machine to buy were totally unwarranted. The Novakon NM-200 Pro Series 2 CNC mill is awesome! Novakon provided NM-200 setup, user and MPG manuals, and numerous other written or PDF files documenting the setup and use of CAD, CAM and MACH3 software, computer/computer boards, and other miscellaneous items. The provided documentation along with additional information available on numerous web sites is more than enough for a novice to learn and do CNC milling.

Both the Tormach PCNC 1100 and Novakon NM-200 CNC mills are the best machines in their price range. However, I chose the NM-200 for the following reasons:

Khai Uong (Novakon Director of Sales) – His pre-sale support, fast day, nights and week ends e-mail responses to my questions were extraordinary and way beyond what one would expect.

Larger table size (40’ x 12”)

Superior X and Y travel (24” and 15”)

Fifty percent larger XYZ machining work space envelope

The availability of 5th and 6th axis’s

Three HP spindle motor

No belts change required when adjusting spindle RPMs from the lowest to the highest speeds available (The Novakon NM-200 does not use pulleys and belts)

Computer built into the modular controller cabinet (the same as higher end CNC machines)

Availability of Visual Mill CAM package (Works well with Alibre and is much simpler for me to use than SprutCAM)

Larger stepper motors

The availability of a Stepper Feedback Detection System (This system provides instance feedback if the CNC mill were to loose steps, thus preventing damage to the machine or the part being machined)

In the end, Novakon won my order by being able to provide a better package for less money.

I was able to assemble and use the NM-200 CNC mill and stand within a 24-hour period. It was a turnkey operation as my NM-200 came with the computer built into the controller panel. All stepper motors were already installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06423 (2).JPG   DSC06435 (2).JPG   DSC06436 (2).JPG   DSC06478 (2).JPG  

DSC06517 (2).JPG   DSC06543 (2).JPG  

Excellent! It looks like it went together clean. What do you have lined up for this machine?

Omg! You lucky dog. Thank god for this thread, please keep this updated daily! I am going to purchase a machine soon and having customer reviews is very important. Keep it up!

Such a beautiful machine.

-Jason

Congratulations! Looks like a nice machine. How did you get it up onto the stand? Did you use your engine hoist? How did you sling it?

Nice show BTW.

bob

Congrats, it's an awesome looking machine! Can't wait to see what you will make with it. Some videos of the machine in action would be appreciated.

Setting the Novakon NM-200 on to its Stand

When the truck carrier delivered the crate holding the NM-200 CNC mill, he set it upon two rows of bricks. We did this using a pallet mover. First, we used the pallet mover to set the crate up on a single row of bricks. Then, we moved the pallet forks totally under the pallet bottom and inserted another row of bricks. See attached picture.

I was able to set the NM-200 upon its stand using an engine hoist. At first, I tried to used the Harbor Freight two-ton foldable engine hoist (2 Ton Foldable Shop Crane) to lift the NM-200 and the Harbor Freight two-ton heavy duty load leveler spread bar (2 Ton Capacity Heavy Duty Load Leveler). I had no trouble lifting the NM-200 using the harbor freight engine hoist fully extended to the one half ton setting. Although, I was unable to lift the NM-200 high enough to clear the stand, I did not have sufficient horizontal reach to safely set the machine onto the stand. The Harbor Freight engine hoist has sufficient horizontal reach, but the V-frame at the bottom of the hoist was not wide enough to clear the base of the stand and provide the necessary horizontal distance to set the machine onto the stand.

Next I rented the Sunbelt 1500-pound engine hoist with a rectangular base frame (ENGINE HOIST Rental, Rent ENGINE HOIST | Sunbelt Rentals). The rental cost was less than $30. Using this engine hoist, two of us were able to set the NM-200 upon the stand successfully in less than 30 minutes. This hoist had no trouble clearing the stand, but was borderline in providing sufficient vertical clearance. Although the Harbor Freight engine hoist via the one half ton setting had no trouble lifting the NM-200, the Sunbelt engine hoist rated at 1500 pounds struggled to lift it. This might have been due to the fact that the Sunbelt engine hoist appeared to have seen better days.

Further, I would recommend an engine hoist with at least a 90-inch vertical lift capacity. The Sunbelt engine hoist only provided an 82-inch vertical height. Sunbelt does rent larger engine hoists, but none were available on the day I rented mine.

Unfortunately, in my excitement to assemble and use the NM-200, I forgot to take pictures as we lifted and set the machine upon its stand. After the fact, I have taken some pictures to show how I used the spread bar, chains and straps to lift the machine.

I love the Novakon NM-200 CNC mill. The X, Y and Z-axis movements are very smooth and accurate. The spindle rotates quietly and smoothly in excess of 6000 rpm. There have not been any quality problems or adjustments required to make the Novakon NM-200 CNC mill perform to its specifications. It appears that Novakon has gotten their act together and are becoming a strong player in this price range CNC market.

I also have attached a picture of the parts that had to be assembled to use the Novakon mill as well as another picture of the mill assembled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06427 (2).JPG   DSC06569 (2).JPG   DSC06566 (2).JPG   DSC06564 (2).JPG  

DSC06477 (2).JPG   DSC06537 (2).JPG  

I'm so jealous, what a beautiful looking machine. Thank for taking the time to update this thread, it's people like you that will further interest me in these mills. Well, I have been wanting one for nearly two years now, but it's nice to see the machine in a a home being worked on.

Keep the updates coming!

Did you get a 1,000 coupon for tooling?

-Jason

Your new Mill looks awesome

For $10,000+ that thing better have ground ball screws, not rolled...lol

Congrats on your purchase.

I think the Novakon NM-200 is the best bang for your buck by a long shot. Especially if you are technically inclined.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by foam27 View Post
    Your new Mill looks awesome

For $10,000+ that thing better have ground ball screws, not rolled...lol

Congrats on your purchase.
    its $9000, and does have ground screws. most machines for this price do not however.

that asside, quality rolled c5 screws are perfectly fine for a machine like this, and often are of better quality and precision that some of the questionalbe ground c5 or c3 labeled screws you get from china.

Good to hear on the ball screws

It says it's $9495 on the website now... I was $505 off, then add shipping..of course.

"For the technically inclined"...

I guess I was just a bit sticker shocked, I finished of a brand new ZX-45 that was $1650 delivered, I got the ball screws for free, and threw on 160V bus industrial USA made parker drives and Nema 34's, and a parker 20:1 gearhead for the Z.

So, about $2500 all said and done, of course yes, it was a lot of work, and the spindle speed was only about 1500 RPM, I sold it for a profit before I could put a belt drive on the spindle.

But if you got the cash, and are technically inclined the Nova... looks to be great mill.

I am in no way knocking the machine, I was again, just sticker shocked, after spending so little on my 800lb mofo.

Are the castings chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by foam27 View Post
    Good to hear on the ball screws

It says it's $9495 on the website now... I was $505 off, then add shipping..of course.

"For the technically inclined"...

I guess I was just a bit sticker shocked, I finished of a brand new ZX-45 that was $1650 delivered, I got the ball screws for free, and threw on 160V bus industrial USA made parker drives and Nema 34's, and a parker 20:1 gearhead for the Z.

So, about $2500 all said and done, of course yes, it was a lot of work, and the spindle speed was only about 1500 RPM, I sold it for a profit before I could put a belt drive on the spindle.

But if you got the cash, and are technically inclined the Nova... looks to be great mill.

I am in no way knocking the machine, I was again, just sticker shocked, after spending so little on my 800lb mofo.

Are the castings chinese?
    chinese or taiwanese, i forget. most of the hardware is from taiwan, like the screws and hiwin rails.

doing the DIY ebay thing will always leave you sticker shocked unfortunately because you tend to have no sense of what things actually cost. the hiwin rails on the Z alone are worth nearly $1000 at retail, the ball screws about $1000 per axis including the P5 grade angular contact bearing supports and couplers.

the control on the novakon is made in canada, and something around $2000 by itself, and you also get a $1000 license of visual mill 6 included.

it all adds up in a big hurry. you cant easily buy the parts to DIY a machine like this for under $10000 short of rummaging ebay and hoping to find a deal.

this mill is also a hell of alot bigger than a little RF45 machine - even bigger than the industrial hobies version. the basic RF45 is sized more like the nm-145 machine, but with a longer table.

Week Number One

My Novakon NM-200 Pro Series 2 CNC mill has performed flawlessly during this first week. However, I did break a 1/8” milling bit due to operator’s error. The capabilities, power, and ease of use of this machine blow my mind.

When I order my Novakon NM-200 Pro Series 2 CNC mill, I had a difficult time in choosing which optional items to purchase with the machine. After having used the mill for a week, I believe the following items enhance its usability.

CD500 Controller and Computer Controller and Computer (By ordering a built-in computer with the NM-200 CNC mill, you assure yourself of a turnkey machine – in other words, all software is loaded and machine operations tested before shipment to you. This eliminates the hassle in hooking up your own computer and ties all computer and machine support directly back to Novakon.)

MPG Novakon MPG Pendant Mill Accessories http://www.novakon.net/MPG%20Manual.pdf (This item is mandatory – Greatly simplifies the moving the X, Y, Z and A axis’s and setting up MACH3 Tool and Work Offsets. It allows me to look directly at the tool in the machine as I move it.)

FD-R8-CH-R8 Precision R8 7/16” x 3/4” Collet Collets & Adapters (You only need one – The precision collet stays mounted in the CNC mill and all quick change tooling is installed using this collet.)

FD-QT-CH-E20 ER20 Collet Holder (Suggest a minimum of five – the more the better. Drill bits, mills, touch off probe, etc. up to ½” diameter can be inserted into the ER20 collets. You can greatly speed up tool changes by using quick change tooling, and entering the tool length and diameter into the Mach3 tool offset table. I can make tool changes for the NM-200 CNC mill in less than 30 seconds by using these quick-change collet holders. These are a bargain at Novakon’s current price of $28 each compared to Tormach’s price of $92 each. Quick Change Tooling Tormach Tooling System - ER20 Collets | Tormach | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items )

FD-ER20S-107 $69 Eight piece ER20 Collet Set (Suggest a minimum of two.)

4-ADRI Novakon 4th Axis Gecko Drive Upgrade (Even if you do not get the Rotary Table when buying the NM-200, I suggest getting the 4th Axis Gecko drive installed and tested by Novakon at their place, rather than buying this item as an upgrade latter. At the current price of $295, it is a bargain and makes the resell of the NM-200 easier. Further, the 4th axis drive and parts provide backup for the X, Y and Z axis drives.)

FD-QT-AD-J612 and FD-QT-DCK-J6 ¾” JT6 adapter and 5/8” JT6 Keyless Drill Chuck (This quick change drill chuck allows you to use tooling up to 5/8” in diameter. Great for tooling that is not kept in the aforementioned ER20 collets and stored in the Mach3 Tool Offset Table.)

Also suggest that you have at a minimum, a 6 inch machinist vise and the 5/8", 58 Piece Clamping Set. Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Measuring Tools, Cutting Tools and Shop Supplies

Picture titles are as follows:

Picture #1 - Controller Cabinet
    Picture #2 - Built-in Computer
    Picture #3 - MPG
    Picture #4 - Notice MPG attached to right hand side of coolant tray
    Picture #5 - 4th and 5th axis boards and wiring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06488 (2).jpg   DSC06491 (2).JPG   DSC06541 (2).JPG   DSC06537 (2).JPG  

DSC06494 (2).JPG  

Inavertent post

So awesome, I certainly want a pendant and the added 4th axis for my system.

One of my biggest issues is tool changes, I'll either one day design an ATC or do the simple air operated drawbar. A little solenoid and "pop", this is my dream to have tools already at the same height and simply put into positioned and fastened.

Great thread, keep up the great work. Maybe some videos soon Thats what Novakon lacks with their products, videos!

Thanks,

-Jason

Spindle RPM in Mach3

When I enter a spindle speed in Mach3 and turn on the spindle, the RPM
    under the spindle speed shows 0 even though the spindle is turning on the
    CNC machine. In other words the Novakon NM-200 Pro Series 2 CNC machine is not feeding the spindle RPM back to the Mach3 program.

How do I correct this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by iGAK View Post

How do I correct this problem?
    you dont. the machine doesnt feed mach back the spindle speed. for that you would need an encoder and additional equipment. that option in mach is for spindle tracking features, like threading in lathe mode for example.

Spindle RPM in Mach3

ihavenofish, thanks for the quick reply. At least, I know it is not a problem with the NM-200 Pro Series 2 CNC mill. By the way -- how did you come up with your user name?

Spindle feedback is actually all but useless in Machmill. I had intended to install a simple sensor system for this, thinking it would autocorrect the spindle rpm under load, but no dice. Over on machsupport the opinion is it's not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBean View Post
    Spindle feedback is actually all but useless in Machmill. I had intended to install a simple sensor system for this, thinking it would autocorrect the spindle rpm under load, but no dice. Over on machsupport the opinion is it's not worth the effort.
    the inverter is set up with a tach and corrects for load on its own as much as it can.

the only use for the feedback in mill mode ive seen is sticking the workpiece in the spindle and running like a lathe allowing you to thread things.

it would also be in theory useful for tapping, but ive never seen anyone use it. most people just install a servo and write a routine for rigid tapping.

Page 1 of 2 12