586,533 active members*
3,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > taig mill /gekco 540 question wire problems
Page 1 of 5 123

taig mill /gekco 540 question wire problems

i just got my taig / gekco 540
    the wires that the motors came with are getting way too hot! like 190'
    i was wondering if i was the only one with this problem and if any one else had solved the problem

I suspect your probably using regular DB9 serial cables. These use 28 or 30AWG wire and are totally inadequate for use driving a stepper motor. (And yet some places keeps selling them to unsuspecting folks.)

You should make or buy cables made from good quality 20 to 22 AWG stranded wire. (That is what I use for the ones I build).
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    I suspect your probably using regular DB9 serial cables. These use 28 or 30AWG wire and are totally inadequate for use driving a stepper motor. (And yet some places keeps selling them to unsuspecting folks.)

You should make or buy cables made from good quality 20 to 22 AWG stranded wire. (That is what I use for the ones I build).

thanks jeff

it is totally stupid that the company ships these substandard wires...
    mind you that this all happens during set up ... i have yet to run a program of any real length....

so my next question is then..which of the nine pins of the db9 are used...

thanks in advance

a-

totally stupid that the company ships these substandard wires...
    I agree but cheap stuff sells...

You can find the user's manual with wiring info from Gecko's site: G540 4-Axis Motor Control.
    Jeff Birt

I agree but cheap stuff sells...

You can find the user's manual with wiring info from Gecko's site: G540 4-Axis Motor Control.
    thanks tons!
    according to page 5 all 9 pins are used...did you have to use a 9core wire when you built yours?

i have been to frys and the apex looks like i will be making my own as well

You only need four wires to run to the stepper (pins 6, 7, 8, 9). Pins 1&5 are for the current programming resistor and the remaining one are just connected to DC Common for a shield drain.

I use a 20 AWG 4 conductor shielded cable to build my cables. (Google EZ-G540)...
    Jeff Birt

You only need four wires to run to the stepper (pins 6, 7, 8, 9). Pins 1&5 are for the current programming resistor and the remaining one are just connected to DC Common for a shield drain.

I use a 20 AWG 4 conductor shielded cable to build my cables. (Google EZ-G540)...
    right on !!! i kinda figure that since there are only four wires coming from the stepper motors. but i was not sure which of the commons were important. that ex-g540 looks sweet!! but i already got db9 ends and housings. maybe later if this set up is less than statisfactory...jeff thanks 1000000's for the info!!!

wow what a pain !!!

It wont take but an hour or so to solder all the connections for the 3 cables.

Argon,

Please do not edit your posts and remove all of the contents. This makes the thread useless for people who have similar problems in the future. The whole idea behind a forum is that they become a repository of knowledge.

This is now a thread about nothing and is a waste of bytes. I am glad you got your answers but you have left nothing behind for anyone else to benefit from.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Argon,

Please do not edit your posts and remove all of the contents. This makes the thread useless for people who have similar problems in the future. The whole idea behind a forum is that they become a repository of knowledge.

This is now a thread about nothing and is a waste of bytes. I am glad you got your answers but you have left nothing behind for anyone else to benefit from.

bob
    i totally agree!! i believe i accidently edited the wrong post...
    let me try and fix it....jeff gave me some great information . i would hope that it would be avaibile for others with the same issue
    i have contacted the seller and he seems willing to make right and send me some bigger cables...its a new toy and the honeymoon is not over...i really dont want to deal with voided warrenty issues..

bummer it wont let me fix post #1
    im sorry guys...

basically it went like this.....

i just got my taig / gekco 540
    the wires that the motors came with are getting way too hot! like 190'
    i was wondering if i was the only one with this problem and if any one else had solved the problem

my last post yesterday was kinda dumb and had just rehashed a different question...somewhere
    in the process of logging on and editing ( so i didnt look like an idoit) i deleted the original post by accident...( so i guess i am an idiot)
    =/

meltdown!!!!

as i expected melt down took place at 175' f / 80'c
    after only running 425 lines of code the wires went as high as 190'f/
    and began fusing....

i had i not been here or other wise distracted my home may have caught fire!!!

granted this is cutting air...no metal was harmed during this meltdown!!

this is bad!

my concern now it that by building my own wires i am:

a: just pushing the problem inside the breakout box
    b: voiding my warrenty

thoughts suggestions?

A-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo4.jpg   photo2.jpg   photo.jpg   photo3.jpg  

I think at this point you should look at your controller and post as much information about it with pictures so the gurus here can help you figure what may be the issue.

Dave
    Dave->..

as i expected melt down took place at 175' f / 80'c
    after only running 425 lines of code the wires went as high as 190'f/
    and began fusing....
    It really makes me wonder about some companies. How many other folks got stuck with crap lke this? Please post pics as Dave mentioned.
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by argon blade View Post
    my concern now it that by building my own wires i am:

a: just pushing the problem inside the breakout box
    b: voiding my warrenty
    No, you're only removing the resistance of the small-gauge wire they sent you from the system. I don't know who you bought the system from, but I'll bet they don't directly warranty the controller anyway (and maybe not the motors, either). My advice is to just fix it like Jeff suggested. That's how mine is wired - DB9 connectors from Fry's and 18 gauge stranded wire inside plastic wire looms running to the controller/power supply. The only thing I did different was to attach a small 12V fan to each stepper to cool them down.

Quote Originally Posted by noisillator View Post
    No, you're only removing the resistance of the small-gauge wire they sent you from the system. I don't know who you bought the system from, but I'll bet they don't directly warranty the controller anyway (and maybe not the motors, either). My advice is to just fix it like Jeff suggested. That's how mine is wired - DB9 connectors from Fry's and 18 gauge stranded wire inside plastic wire looms running to the controller/power supply. The only thing I did different was to attach a small 12V fan to each stepper to cool them down.
    that is sound advice. i have contacted the seller and he has agreed to replace the cables with better ones. i would love to see pics of your fan setup

i have a question about limit switches.

is it only possible to set up home switches with the gekco 540?
    im not sure there are enough inputs to allow two switches per axises...

thoughts?

You can share all of the limit switches and home switches on the same pin (wired in series). The only negative is that only 1 axis will home at a time. Still accurate and it would just take a few more moments to home. Or a second parallel port if you need more inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by argon blade View Post
    that is sound advice. i have contacted the seller and he has agreed to replace the cables with better ones. i would love to see pics of your fan setup

i have a question about limit switches.

is it only possible to set up home switches with the gekco 540?
    im not sure there are enough inputs to allow two switches per axises...

thoughts?

Isn't better to do Home switches on Pin 1,2,3 and all limit switches wired in series to Pin 4?

wire saga update

Quote Originally Posted by strohkirchw View Post
    Isn't better to do Home switches on Pin 1,2,3 and all limit switches wired in series to Pin 4?
    that sounds like a good solution
    ill have to try it in the am

update the new wires got here
    and really they dont look promising at all
    22awg is not going to cut it
    the new wires are smaller than the first batch
    i got a feeling we are headed to burn:30 all over again

below are pics of the original wire, the new ones he sent , and the ones im gona have to finish now using jeff's db9 ends. i m bummed cuz my new machine is a POS for at least another week!!!!!

this retailer seems to have a good name so i am being reluctant to put him on blast ...but if these wire short out im calling it out!! and buying everything from jeff from here on out....

cuz so far i got a 1800$ paper weight and im not happy!!

stand by for results!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mine.jpg   old and new.jpg   orignal cable.jpg  

Page 1 of 5 123