586,409 active members*
3,241 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Guy Doing Research

I'm the new fella here since I've recently started thinking about adding a cnc plasma to the shop.

I wouldn't be adding the equipment until sometime next year so it gives me some time to do my research. Since looking into it I've been looking at the Torchmate equipment probably the most.

I emailed Torchmate the other day with some questions but haven't heard back yet.

I have quite a few years experience in the trades as a machinist, millwright, fabricator, designer, etc. But my only real cnc experience has been sending AutoCAD files to be used by others.

Some of the questions I have:

Has the Torchmate equipment proven itself as a reliable entry/mid-level machine?

Is the software reliably compatible with AutoCAD and/or .dxf files?

What are some of the major differences between the Torchmate 1, 2, etc.

Are the torchmate systems all compatible with and have reasonable changeover to oxy-fuel operation?

In your won experience with cnc plasma, have you found it is something you use often?

Have you been able to show a ROI doing small level fabrication?

I know some of these questions may be redundant but I've done the searches and still would like to hear from you guys. If I need to provide any more information please let me know.

Appreciate the assistance, Al
    [email protected]

Wink New guy doing research

Quote Originally Posted by Some of the questions I have:

Has the Torchmate equipment proven itself as a reliable entry/mid-level machine? [COLOR=Red
    I've had a Torchmate 2 going on 4 years now[/COLOR] and I have no complaints, but nothing to compare it to. There was a learning curve at first, but Tech Support was always there to give me support.

Is the software reliably compatible with AutoCAD and/or .dxf files? I've drawn DXF files in Corel, AutoCad 14 and TurboCad and imported them into Torchmate Cad without problems the caveat being Corel...it seems to add a lot more nodes.

What are some of the major differences between the Torchmate 1, 2, etc.
    Not an expert, but the TM1 is a 4x4 machine, probably geared towards the hobbyist but useful in a light commercial application. Electronics are the same regardless. The TM2 is a 4x8 machine (at least mine is but it's all about table size) and I suppose could go 5x8. The TM3 difference between the TM2 is that one side of the table is lowered to aid in placing material with a forklift. I have no input on the TM4. My TM2 is used fairly often and I have no problems that couldn't be overcome. No software issues and no complaints.
    Are the torchmate systems all compatible with and have reasonable changeover to oxy-fuel operation? No experience but I'd have to venture a "yes".

In your won experience with cnc plasma, have you found it is something you use often? I use mine as a second source of income, fairly regularly but not 24/7. I have no concerns that it won't perform once I start using it fulltime.

Have you been able to show a ROI doing small level fabrication? I think that would depend upon the market and your product.

I know some of these questions may be redundant but I've done the searches and still would like to hear from you guys. If I need to provide any more information please let me know.

Appreciate the assistance, Al
    [email protected]
    Bob

I gotta say that Torchmate has been the best supplier out there as far as I can see. I have had a TM for several years and it has been 100% relaible and no issues with the software or hardware so far. Whatever system you do buy, make sure that you include an AVTHC as a minimum. That is the option I did not buy and while it has created some minor issues none were road blocks, more a bump in the road type issue. Other than that, once TM has you in their system you get support for life at no additional charge and quick response to any issue or question you may have. I dont have any experience with the other vendors and hear that Plasmacam is good too, but I cant expound due to lack of info. SO address the questions in your original post to Mike and see what he says, and go from their. Good luck, hope this helps you decide.
    Bob

Thank you guys for the information.

I've talked with Josh at Torchmate and he has been great. Sending me information and websites to check out. They seem to be genuinely excited about their products and take great interest in making sure their client's are satisfied. The research I've done has proven this to be true.

I believe the AVHC will be a necessary option. I plan to go with a TM 2 4x8 setup and even with thick materials keeping the plate a consistent height over 8 foot seems to require excessive table precision and some luck.

Since the shop has some upgrades necessary, the Torchmate won't be until next year. But the more I explore possibilities the faster the shop upgrades will be getting done. I have some 3.5 square tubing on hand so water table construction will start this winter.

For anyone else considering a plasma cnc I would strongly suggest contacting Torchmate and Hypertherm. Both have been more than helpful even though I have told them this will be a future acquisition. I am very confident that both will be a great resource in helping with my decisions and will not sell anything either overkill or underkill.

Thanks again, Al