587,003 active members*
2,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > So I have this new Sable 2015

So I have this new Sable 2015

Hi guys, I am new here and hope the post is in the right place its a big site
    So I have this new Sable 2015 princaply to produce diy boards.
    I have the Sable, Eagle, the ulp to produce the gcode and Mach3.
    I have set Mach3's configuration such that the axis motors are scalled and now work, I have some gcode to go and a selection of bits and thats about a far as I can get. I assume the next step is a jig / fixture and setting some datum in mACH3 for the axis which is were I am hoping you guys an help me with a little 101

Many thanks
    Tony

Grrr just noticed that I typed Bemsed instead of Bemused for my name, expect I am stuck with it now

I'm not following your question. Are you asking how to go from Eagle CAD to a etched PCB? If so, have a look at millpcbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    I'm not following your question. Are you asking how to go from Eagle CAD to a etched PCB? If so, have a look at millpcbs.com
    Hey thanks for the link Jay you have hit it more or less on the head, I want to know how to go from the gcode prodsed by eagle to a completed pcb including all the bits in between such as driving Mach3, fixtures, tooling etc.
    Links like you provided are great as I am starting on the bottom rung here. More links would be welcome as I am so new to this I dont even know were to look.
    However having played with the mill over the weekend things are coming together quite fast, probably faster than I expected.

I think now I have a rough grasp of Mach3 and have moved on quite a bit since the first post now having produced some small (tiny 250mm Sq) single sided test boards using bottom route, mill, and drill. I am still experimenting with cutting tools.
    I started routining with a 60 degree flat cutter but on the high density stuff I sem to have better results with a 30 degree flat cutter.
    Could now do with some advice on the cutter to use for milling the final board outline in order to part the piece from the blank. I have used the 30 degree flat cutter but it blunts after four or five boards.

Also as my bed is not true to the Z axis I need to mill the spoil board, what cutter would be used for this?

Many thanks
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bemsed View Post
    Could now do with some advice on the cutter to use for milling the final board outline in order to part the piece from the blank. I have used the 30 degree flat cutter but it blunts after four or five boards.

Also as my bed is not true to the Z axis I need to mill the spoil board, what cutter would be used for this?

Many thanks
    Tony
    The cutter for milling out the board (FR4 material I assume) is a diamond cut carbide cutter. (example).

Not knowing your spindle or your spoilboard I can offer specific recommendations, but use the biggest flat endmill with 4-flutes to level your board. Since I have a 1/4" collet for mine, I use a 1.75" mortising bit and PVC as my spoilboard.

-Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    The cutter for milling out the board (FR4 material I assume) is a diamond cut carbide cutter. (example).

Not knowing your spindle or your spoilboard I can offer specific recommendations, but use the biggest flat endmill with 4-flutes to level your board. Since I have a 1/4" collet for mine, I use a 1.75" mortising bit and PVC as my spoilboard.

-Jay
    Thanks your example of a milling out cutter explains why I have had no luck so far, I will add the cutter to my shopping list.
    The spoil board is acrylic at the moment but I think I will change it to MDF then I can use my hand held woodwork router cutters, pretty obvious now, I think I had a mental blank for a short while

Thanks