586,636 active members*
3,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power drawbar question

For thoses with the power drawbar option... if I installed my drawbar as specified in the instructions, can we unclamp or clamp the drawbar from a command in Mach3?

I plan to make a simple toolchanger (tool tray directly on the table), and in the sample I have from mach3 support, they talk about a script to unclamp or clamp the drawbar:

ActivateSignal(Output1) 'Turn On Draw bar to release the tool
    Code "G4 P1.0" 'Wait for the tool to release

DeActivateSignal(Output1) 'Turn Off Draw bar to Clamp the tool
    Code "G4 P1.0" 'Wait for the tool to Clamp

Any idea?

I am sure it is possible and Tormach probably would know how to do it as I am sure they planned for that or at least have tried it. Not sure they would be in a sharring mood but I would call or E-mail them first.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    I am sure it is possible and Tormach probably would know how to do it as I am sure they planned for that or at least have tried it. Not sure they would be in a sharring mood but I would call or E-mail them first.

They damn well better be in a sharing mood if the code is executed on Tormach-license Mach 3 software that has been purchased from them, to operate a Tormach accessory that has been purchased from them, on a Tormach machine tool that has been purchased from them! That's basic support for a new item with such a small user base...

Thank's I'll contact them...

I'm sure they will, but they damn well might want paying for that type of support. They sold a package with a specified set of features and capabilities, if pc control of the draw-bar was not one of them then I think it might come under the definition of system development, not basic support. Give some people an inch and they take the whole nine yards.

Phil

PS: Read the small print. http://www.tormach.com/suppolicy.html

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    They damn well better be in a sharing mood if the code is executed on Tormach-license Mach 3 software that has been purchased from them, to operate a Tormach accessory that has been purchased from them, on a Tormach machine tool that has been purchased from them! That's basic support for a new item with such a small user base...

For a standard Tormach there is only the one cable coming from the computer to the mill, so there is going to need to be an unused pin in that cable that can be turned on or off, if not then another port needs to be added to the computer, but this will need to be there for the ATC when it becomes available, so I am sure they have something already.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon