587,003 active members*
3,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > osp5000l-g DNC problem

osp5000l-g DNC problem

I am useing Preditor with all of our existing machines and now adding a Okuma lathe with a OSP5000L-G I am currently useing DNC mode and Ican send to the PC fine but when I try to send to the MC I only get 1 number at a time as long as Ikeep repressing WRITE I can se the Program 1 number per press and it dose not go to memory

ask local Okuma representative for help

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    ask local Okuma representative for help
    Ah yes! Such a helpful reply...
    Maybe he has... or maybe he is just hopeful that he would get some HELPFUL and CONSTRUCTIVE help from the huge community online here...
    But nooooo just silly crap from you.
    How's this for an idea? If you don't know, just sit back and let someone else see if they can supply a good answer!

Sorry Copperman,
    We have some of the same controllers at work, but I have never seen this problem.
    Good luck in finding a solution.

Brian.

Please give us more details...what is your wiring configuration?

Right now it could be either hardware wiring or software parameter settings. I typically use 9600,Even, 7bits, 2 stop bits and software flow control. Many settings on OSP will work, but be sure to change settings, Backup or wait about 3 minutes, Power of both control and circuit breaker for at least 30 seconds to make sure RS board resets, and try again.

Make sure settings match on PC too.

Best regards,

A lathe with DNC mode???? I've only ever seen one, and it was a custom build from Okuma at the time. Please verify you actually have DNC on that machine first. It will have an additional panel and a switch for DNC/Rs232

What command are you using for file transfer ? PIP or DNC ?
    there are different instructions on how to use either

osp500l-g

I have the option for both pip or dnc, dnc is the only way I have ben able to recieve from the nc to the pc, On the back of the machine I have a RS-232c port and a serial port I am useing the rs 232.
    My settings at the pc are 9600 7 even 2 for both upload and down
    I cannot view all of the peramitors to check what the mc is set at

The RS232/DNC parameters are BIT parameters. The manual has them listed

It sounds to me that you are not actually sending the program to the machine. The program is running in FNC mode from your PC. This is fine if it runs OK and you have everything set properly on your PC. However some tweaking is required in your software to set to actually send the program. I am not familiar with Predator or I would give some more insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Medm View Post
    It sounds to me that you are not actually sending the program to the machine. The program is running in FNC mode from your PC. This is fine if it runs OK and you have everything set properly on your PC. However some tweaking is required in your software to set to actually send the program. I am not familiar with Predator or I would give some more insight.
    FNC ???
    on a 5000 control...Okuma's don't have any other method other than PIP and DNC for data transfer...

DNC-B is un-usual to have on a lathe

Can yuo define your procedures when READing and PUNCHing the NC file ?
    and what alarms are displayed, in full ( if any )

PC software often has the ability to trickle feed the program to the control, thus saving space in the internal control and giving it the ability to run programs that are larger than its' internal memory.

Not being that familiar with "Predator" I cannot definitively say if this is the case. Just trying to explain the symptoms.

:drowning:

Just trying to explain the symptoms.
    Obviously, you are not familiar with Okuma machines and controls to make a diagnosis

The limitation of any data transfer protocols always lies with the control's capability. 3rd party software must be suitable to the methods that a control can use...not the other way round.

Okuma offered DNC-A (dedicated file transfer), DNC-B (drip feed) and DNC-C (remote machine control) on their Okuma lathes. Depending on which one you are using, you have different setup parameters that you need to use. Like Superman and unederthetire say - it is rare for DNC-B and even more rare for DNC-C. Do you have the switch for DNC-B or C? If not, do you have the function key on the CRT for DNC-A? If you do you will need to set the parameter bit to "dedicate" your RS-232 port to DNC and then you will need to set up DNC parameters and not your normal RS-232 parameters.

Also if you have DNC, you should have gotten another manual for DNC with your machine. This will help you with the parameters. Do you by chance have that?

Another thing I'm clarifying...you say you have Serial and RS-232 ports...do you mean that you have 2 DB-25 Serial ports? This would be another indicator that DNC is on your machine since one port is "locked" for use with DNC, a second port is typically added for communication with other devices.

Best regards,

I do not have any manual's
    yes i do have 2 DB-25 Serial ports
    DNC and PIP are the only choices i have
    I donot believe that all of the perameters are visible because they only go as high as #42
    it is likely that I may not even be in the right mode or page haveing no manual but i have looked at everything i can find
    Thank You

Word #44 = Punch device #, set to 1 (0=tt:, 1=CN0:, 2=CN1: )
    Word #46 = DNC output device #, set to 2 (CN1: )
    Word #54 = Read device #, set to 2 (CN0: )

Word #39 & 40 = 9600
    Word# 1 = 1

Parameter Bit#1 = 10010010 (from 0 to 7)
    Parameter Bit#12 & 13 =01010011
    Verify Parameter Bit#2 bits 6 and 7 = 0

Set PC to 9600 Baud, 7 bits, Even, 2 stop bits using software handshaking (XON/XOFF).

Backup machine and power off for at least 1 minute at circuit breaker to let RS board properly reset. Power ON and try again.

Either one should work now, PIP will use CN0: and DNC will use CN1:
    Test by going out of Okuma first using small program, then read the transmitted program back in.

Many combinations will work, this is what I have used to get them working.

Use page down key to see next set of parameters higher than 42.

Best regards,

Use page down key to see next set of parameters higher than 42
    or. Try to find parameter (bit) and set the last parameter (suppose, it is parameter #16) highest bit to 1.
    Maybe it is optional parameter (bit), don't remember exactly.
    You will see the result instantly - the remaining empty area of page will fill up with parameters and You can access more with page down and "next" arrow keys