586,745 active members*
6,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > First post, beginner lathe operator/programmer

Post First post, beginner lathe operator/programmer

I operate, set-up, and program a small Omni-Turn cnc lathe. The only inserts we have are a thin (maybe 1/16") gold coated positive rake triangle. Is there some kind of general chart for suggested sfpm speeds and feed rates in relation to material? As far as I know there are no suggestions from the manufacturer. I am fairly new at this so any suggestions would be helpful. Thank You

my suggestion is to get a rep from a reputable insert company is to talk to you and recommend the right inserts, feeds and speeds. You wont regret it especially if you get free sample inserts

Thanks for the reply. That would be nice, but It's all up to the boss and he likes to do everything the cheapest way possible. I am surprised I was able to talk him into buying some seco cut-off tools and tool holders. For the most part I have to just try and deal the best with what I have. And that isn't much

i don't work in lathes any more and when i did we used only iscar and kennametal so i can't help there. Good luck

If you're able to get on the internet to post questions then you're also able to research this. By asking for something as basic as speeds and feeds per material it suggests that you would rather others spoon feed you the answers rather than spend the time to look it up yourself. Sounds like the post on stainless steel guy. I'm not trying to be rude but most of us have spent a lot of time pouring over charts trying to learn/memorize the differences in material and the speed/feed calculations that were part of the job. If you're not willing to do your own homework then how to do think others will perceive you? If you're willilng to do the homework then I don't mind helping you, as I was once helped. If you're not willing to help yourself then how shall I help you? You're asking basic questions that an office type would ask. Are you really cboys with a different name? You sure sound like the troll in the other thread (stainless steel) that asks others for similar info. Check the other thread out members and decide for yourself.

Don't be a troll, earn the right to receive what I worked hard to learn.

Yes my friend there are plenty machinist tool of that kind available on the net. You can try one called MACHINIST MATE. If you want something more powerfull please let me know. [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by roninB4 View Post
    If you're able to get on the internet to post questions then you're also able to research this. By asking for something as basic as speeds and feeds per material it suggests that you would rather others spoon feed you the answers rather than spend the time to look it up yourself. Sounds like the post on stainless steel guy. I'm not trying to be rude but most of us have spent a lot of time pouring over charts trying to learn/memorize the differences in material and the speed/feed calculations that were part of the job. If you're not willing to do your own homework then how to do think others will perceive you? If you're willilng to do the homework then I don't mind helping you, as I was once helped. If you're not willing to help yourself then how shall I help you? You're asking basic questions that an office type would ask. Are you really cboys with a different name? You sure sound like the troll in the other thread (stainless steel) that asks others for similar info. Check the other thread out members and decide for yourself.

Are you kidding me? Give the kid a break if you don't want to help him then leave it be but bashing him for asking a question is ridiculous. Based off your other posts it seems like your the troll you old miser. At least he took the iniative to find this site and ask his peers for assistance. Try to be constructive instead of an a$$. He is doing his homework by going to most complete CNC site on the internet and when time equals money i don't think going to the bookstore would be a good idea when the info is here

Well I wasn't bashing anybody nor did I resort to name calling as you have. I must have made a comment that was a little too close to home for you. Your advice was to talk to somebody else that knew more than you did so I'll give you credit for knowing your own limitations.

I'll still stand by my comments, if you're not willing to work for your answers then why should I give away answers I had to work for? Since you consider going to a bookstore a waste of time then that explains a lot about you. Respect is a two-way street, try to learn that kid.

Quote Originally Posted by roninB4 View Post

I searched for the info for days and didn't come up with anything that helped. Most all the speeds and feeds I found were for HSS and specific machine tools.

The first question I would ask is "who is the insert manufacturer"?
    The second question is what is the material?
    If you know who, then you know who to contact.
    Even if you are buying from MSC/J&L, they claim to have some tech support capabilities.
    If it is a salesman from a local "got it all" tooling house, they should be able to provide an answer or call someone to help.
    Of course, neither of these will be on par with support from a major manufacturer.
    Oh and if the boss is buying from his nephew or an old army buddy - RUN AWAY ;o).

Just wondering ronin, did anyone ever give you free advice? I assume you researched every problem and reported all of you data before you were helped. Hard life dude.

The newbie could be holding out to see if we give same information he found somewhere else. He may want an unbiased opinion.

If the insert and alloy are unknown:
    Steel 400 SFM and .005 per rev
    Nickel Alloys 200 SFM and .005 per rev
    AL alloys no limit on speed, feed .005 per rev

These are safe starting points given the information you have offered. You would see much higher starting points in most Mfg's catalogs. You will most likely need to adjust these parameters to acheive desired finish, chip formation and production rates.

I have earned the right to be a troll...along with a Masters Degree and Journeyman's card to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ctate2000 View Post
    Just wondering ronin, did anyone ever give you free advice? I assume you researched every problem and reported all of you data before you were helped. Hard life dude.

The newbie could be holding out to see if we give same information he found somewhere else. He may want an unbiased opinion.

If the insert and alloy are unknown:
    Steel 400 SFM and .005 per rev
    Nickel Alloys 200 SFM and .005 per rev
    AL alloys no limit on speed, feed .005 per rev

These are safe starting points given the information you have offered. You would see much higher starting points in most Mfg's catalogs. You will most likely need to adjust these parameters to acheive desired finish, chip formation and production rates.

I have earned the right to be a troll...along with a Masters Degree and Journeyman's card to boot.
    I am glad I wasn't the only who didn't agree with the comments about being a troll. I get that people on here worked hard for the info and some have done a lot of research but my point was if you don't want to give out info because you think people should earn it thats fine and you're entitled to that. But there is no need to get on here and bash on a self proclaimed newbie who is most likely in over his head and trying to do the right thing for the company. I think in a situation like that we should do anything we can to help and if we chose not to help then keep quiet. If you aren't part of the solution then your probably part of the problem. It would also be my guess that ronin didn't have the information to help or he shouldn't be on this website since the whole point of the site is for machinist, programmers, engineers and hobbists to help their peers and share their info, experience and expertise.

Ray did you ever get your info?

[QUOTE=ctate2000;847937]Just wondering ronin, did anyone ever give you free advice? QUOTE]

Yes and it's usually worth what I paid for it. You can give away whatever you want to, what comes freely is given freely.

[QUOTE=ahunter9624;850996] the whole point of the site is for machinist, programmers, engineers and hobbists to help their peers and share their info, experience and expertise.

QUOTE]

- If you're not willing to do your own homework then you're not any of the above, you're not even part of "the solution" either for reasons already mentioned.