586,389 active members*
3,230 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > CGI scanning digitizer from VM-16 for milling

CGI scanning digitizer from VM-16 for milling

Does anyone know what it would take to reconfigure a CGI RE-1000 back to cnc milling? CGI (Capture Geometry Inside) used a Milltronics VM-16 and built a machine that ran a large face mill across a plastic molded part that was encased in a plastic resin. The machine faced off thin slices and optically scanned the cut part and combined the information to give a 3-d rendering of the molded part. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is a regular 3 axis VM-16 just running a program with a video scanning system or is it a special 2 axis (X and Z) set-up that would be unable to be used for 3-axis milling.
    Be Good, Be Kind, Be Happy
    Jay Cowan

Conversion

I think AMC sales on ebay has done this to one a few years ago. If I remember, they had to install a Y axis onto it. (linear rails, ballscrew, motor, drive etc)

Thanks for the reply. That would be more than I would want to undertake. This machine is currently on Ebay for cheap. It coud be a good source for Cent 5 parts.
    Be Good, Be Kind, Be Happy
    Jay Cowan

Some of the later CGI machines had the Y axis rails installed and were locked down, You would still need the motor, drive,cables, ballscrew, pulleys etc for the Y axis. Also the machine had a manual drawbar in the spindle because they only used one tool (a big fly cutter) and did not need to be changed very often. So, you would need the drawbar, drawbar cylinder assembly as well.
    Most of these CGI machines had very little time on them so they are a good source for used parts. Even the fiberglas enclosure is worth about 3K.
    Or if you need a machine that wold just mill a straight line or drill a line of holes it would be good.