586,471 active members*
4,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Servos from DMM-Tech

Does anybody have experience with the servos from DMM-Tech? Why do we not see more of them used around the forums?

Thank you

been selling/applying servos since 1975. thought I knew most the brands. never heard of this one. added: went to dmm-tech.com site and looked around. looks like decent stuff.

A few router builders are starting to use them.
    I think that if they had a better website, with more info, they might sell a lot more.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

AustinT

The Dmm system is great,I have been doing demos, with there system for customers
    for some time now, there are some builds on the zone using there system

Here are 2 builds you can look at, The first one Rod has done some videos

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...nc_router.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...r_project.html
    Mactec54

ger21

The web site is getting more imformation all the time, is it flashy, no it is not, but everything you need to get a system running is there, the system is so simple to set up & run you only need to buy the kit
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    AustinT

The Dmm system is great,I have been doing demos, with there system for customers
    for some time now, there are some builds on the zone using there system

Here are 2 builds you can look at, The first one Rod has done some videos

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...nc_router.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...r_project.html

Oh I am glad i found someone who uses the DMM- Servos and here is why. I have a 220 watt servo and drive that I purchased setting next to me on the table. I have been working on it for about 8 hours and I cannot get the motor to make a single move. I am using the GUI for tuning and testing the motor . I have the computer connected to the breakout board with the USB cable. The breakout board is connected on the x axis to Jp3 of the servo drive. Correct voltage is verified and the motor is locked in one position. I have copied the folder specified by DMM to the computer and launched the DMMdrive . The drivers are also installed. The problem is I cannot find the com ports listed under the device manager. I have tried every com port setting on the dmm software and com 3 is the only one that does not crash. It acts like it is reading and writing to the EEProm but when I enter the program again and read the values it is clear the EEPROM is not changed. I believe it comes down to not being able to find the com ports menu under the device manager. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you

AustinT

I will try & get you through it, You should not of changed anything,as they are ready to run when you get them, the tuning software is not really needed, you just need to connected to Mach 3, to get your motor running, PM me you phone number & I will call you tomorrow
    Mactec54

Thank you Pm sent. At this point I am not sure if I have changed anything or not. When I try to read the drive all of the parameters come back as 1 . Why is it that the servos do not need to be tuned for each application? I always thought servos needed alot of attention up front to get all of the parameters correct

Thank you

I just retrofitted a Charmilles hole popper with DMM's 'high torque' servos. This was essentially a hand wheel replacement, but the machine was quite heavy. I had no problems with DMM and they responded to all my concerns. English can be a problem when speaking on the phone but their written communication is good. We used MACH3 to control the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande3741 View Post
    I just retrofitted a Charmilles hole popper with DMM's 'high torque' servos. This was essentially a hand wheel replacement, but the machine was quite heavy. I had no problems with DMM and they responded to all my concerns. English can be a problem when speaking on the phone but their written communication is good. We used MACH3 to control the system.
    My experience with DMM has also been absolutely great! I made the mistake and thought the usb to breakout cable was also used for programming. I spoke with mactec54 on the phone tonight and he is extremely knowledgeable. He found my mistake in a hurry!
    Thank you mactec54!

AustinT

You will need a driver/software for your USB to Serial adapter installed on your computer, This driver/software comes with the USB to Serial cable/adapter when you buy them
    Mactec54

Mactec,
    Is there any plan DMM to make a bigger motor? 750 or 1kw. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Mactec,
    Is there any plan DMM to make a bigger motor? 750 or 1kw. Thanks.
    They do a 900 watt kit now.

Mactec54

I am seriously thinking of upgrading from my steppers to the DMM servo system do you have to use the DMM breakout board or can you connect to your existing one?

Thanks

Andy

audioandy1762

If you buy the kit for your machine, it would be best to use the breakout board, as everything is ready to plug in, board to drive Etc, but if you are good at wiring you could use other breakout boards software Etc, it could also be more trouble than it is worth
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec

The reason I asked is that I have a smooth stepper and have just ordered a PMDX126 board. I am not too bad at wiring and ok with software so should not be too much of a challange (I hope)

Thanks

Andy

audioandy1762

Hi Andy

The only other thing I see that you will have to have, is the power supply filtering & fuse protection, which is on the DMM board, the 48V dc goes through, the on board filter/fuse (20A) before the 48Vdc goes into the drives, So if you have a filter & fuse before the power goes into the drives, that will do the same, Then everything should be good
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec,
    That is peak power 900 watt, what I ask is continuous power?

Thanks Mactec

Almost ready to put the order in : )

asuratman

Hi asuratman

The continous power is 500watt @ 48V
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123