586,389 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Cutting .25 in plywood

I have the opportunity to cut a lot of 1/4 in ply ( mid grade, not BB ) the ones I did on the CNC were not suitable as they has some fuzzies, I might be able to tune that out, however, I'd like to see if I can cut in on a 100 w Weike with minimal burning, Anybody have success with that thickness material and not scorch the hell out of it? Feed & Speeds? TIA Dubliner - Neville

I never managed to get good results with my 80W cutter on cheap grade 1/4" plywood. The problem was mainly the ply itself - mainly laminating glues don't respond well to laser cutting. There is a big difference between proper laser ply and "normal" ply. Several lighter cuts didn't improve things much. Lots of charring and it stinks badly after having been cut. The machine gets covered in stinky goo. Proper laser ply cuts very cleanly and easily.

As epilotdk said, it really depends on the adhesive. If the ply is interior grade the chances of a good result increase but without trying some you won't know for sure.

The wood component is easy to cut but once the beam hits the epoxy it begins to generate heat, depending on the epoxy thickness and type the results can be good or a charred mess.

Zax.

So do you think extra pressure in the air lline might help? I know compressed air seems to be warmer and wonder if a "Vortex" type attachment might decrease the temperature. Where & what size can you get laserable ply in Texas ( Zax ?)

I've bought some ply from hobby stores (aircraft grade) that worked well but regarding specific laserable ply I've only seen it online at a good price.

I don't do much ply due to the poor results and limitations of my machine.

Zax.

Plywood cutting

Hello friend,

We have tested, 80W laser machine can cut approximate 10mm, maybe 150W can cut approximate 12-15mm.

About cutting 25mm, maybe it is a bit difficult. Maybe the CNC Router is a bit suitable, what do you think about it?

What kind of plywood you need cut? Standard PLYwhich is used for packing? Or other?

Echo
    Chinese Manufacture, exporter for Laser Machine, CNC Router
    Web:www.jdengraver.com Miss Echo: [email protected]

Talking

Echo my friend... Echo my friend,

The question was for 0.25inch = 1/4inch = 6.35mm.

Zax.

I can understand the confusion.
    My Dad told me about Inches and I have a ruler here somewhere that has them on it

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Just keep in mind what I said earlier on - whether you can cut it or not doesn't depend solely on laser power. I used to have an 80W machine and once got a hold of some 1/4 plywood that required two passes at full power to cut. The charring was really bad and it reeked so much after cutting that it was un-usable. With the correct grade of wood the 80 watt tube will cut it like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post
    I have the opportunity to cut a lot of 1/4 in ply ( mid grade, not BB ) the ones I did on the CNC were not suitable as they has some fuzzies, I might be able to tune that out, however, I'd like to see if I can cut in on a 100 w Weike with minimal burning, Anybody have success with that thickness material and not scorch the hell out of it? Feed & Speeds? TIA Dubliner - Neville
    WE cut up to 3/4" ply with our 100W cutting system.
    I cut at .5" sec with 75psi or air (Nitrogen would be best to reduce charring)

I will put up youtube videos of .5" thick plywood cutting tomorrow and link it form here.

The issue with the Chinese and cheep machines is the spot size and air pressure.

Send us a drawing and we will send back videos of the cutting process with the machines we use and manufacture.

[email protected]
    www.FocusedLightEngraving.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman FLE View Post
    The issue with the Chinese and cheap machines is the spot size and air pressure.
    The issue with US made systems is the price and parts cost

I just had to... Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post

I just had to... Zax.
    You get what you pay for. Our 100W American made laser will cut 1/4" cabinet grade ply at 1"/sec and 50% power (~65W) real nice. I don't think you need "laserable" ply, you just need good quality stuff thats not full of glue filled voids.

Also a 50W laser with good beam quality (like a synrad or coherent) will outcut a 100W chinese tube with poor beam quality.

Matt

I just had to... Zax.
    We hear this all the time. The cost of a Synrad or Universal 100W tube is around 12,000. I know you can buy a complete Chinese system for that but their in lies the issue.
    The machines are not compliant with CDRH, they have very poor reliability, manuals, beam output, lenses, etc ...
    Our machines are made from off the shelf parts, most out of McmasterCarr, this makes it simple for any diy'er to replace parts at any time.

We have a policy, if customers bring up the Chinese cost vs our systems we let them go. Those who do their research and need quality, reliable machines come to us and continue to come back.

Some of our customers include Myron mfg. Oriental trading, Storus Corp.

As we speak we are working on the 100W Synrad 4x4 system that should retail for $35,000. It will have a vertically mounted tube with laser mech optical delivery. Alignment will be simple and there will be no need for guarding.

We will have photos of this build on the website soon.

www.Focusedlightengraving.com

Here are some of the parts cut today on the machine. I was able to cut with 500Hz at 100% power at .5in/sec

[email protected]

"It will have a vertically mounted tube with laser mech optical delivery. Alignment will be simple and there will be no need for guarding." - how long you have tested this mounting in real work?

Hi Laserman,

Sorry to be a wet sponge but the Synrad manual does not recommend vertically mounting their tubes for obvious reasons (mirror contamination).
    It takes a brave man to ignore this advise and expect long term reliability from the tube.

Tweakie.

We have reviewed this with our sales rep and the techs at Synrad and it will not be a problem at all. Thanks for the heads up.
    [email protected]

Echo my friend... Echo my friend,

The question was for 0.25inch = 1/4inch = 6.35mm.

Zax.
    hehe, Zax, sorry, I make mistake as mm. hehe
    Chinese Manufacture, exporter for Laser Machine, CNC Router
    Web:www.jdengraver.com Miss Echo: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Hi Laserman,

Sorry to be a wet sponge but the Synrad manual does not recommend vertically mounting their tubes for obvious reasons (mirror contamination).
    It takes a brave man to ignore this advise and expect long term reliability from the tube.

Tweakie.
    Interesting reply this.

We have reviewed this with our sales rep and the techs at Synrad and it will not be a problem at all. Thanks for the heads up.

And this is what Synrad say about it,

“SYNRAD does not recommend mounting lasers in a vertical “head-down” or “tail down” orientation. If you must mount your laser in this manner, please contact the factory for limitations as vertical orientation increases the risk of damage to the laser output optics”.

Tweakie.

Vytek have used vertical position of laser on some machines, but as I know they faced a lot of problems with lasers and this equipment was discontinued
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vertical CNC laser 2.jpg  

Thank you gentlemen for the information, due to the concerns we are definitely going with a horizontal orientation.
    we are very excited about the new project. We are still working towards a turnkey system for the $30-40K range. 100W 4x4 table.
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12