586,403 active members*
2,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Gear Hobbing using Vertical Machining centre

Gear Hobbing using Vertical Machining centre

Dear friends,

I have vertical machining centre with 4th axis.

Can I do hobbing on 80 mm shaft dia for 4 module?

Actually I am thinking to do this by synchronizing the speed of milling spindle and 4th indexing rotery table. I can develop the tool holder for holding gear hobbing cutter. But dont know the calculations for synchronisation for gear hobbing.

My spindle is having BT 50, 6000 RPM and have ZF three speed auto speed gearbox for high toruque. And have Indexing table of 12" dia and hydraulic tailstock as 4th axis where I can hold my already turned shaft.

Controll is Fanuc 18i

please provide you suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Gear hobbing is a continuous generating/milling process. How will you adjust the spindle angle to compensate for the hob lead angle? If you intend to hob helical gears you will have to adjust for the helix angle as well.

You can mill spur gears with form milling cutter(s) and index the fourth axis for each tooth spacing. This is a common method for producing limited quantities of spur gears. Not very economical for volume production though. Modern gear hobbing machines are far more productive and produce superior gears compared to VMC's

Dick Z
    DZASTR