586,410 active members*
3,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting back into the game

Way back when I was almost ready to start building. Got hurt on the job, lost job, lost income, lost interest.

I had gotten to the point I had collected (4) Sigma 2220D steppers, power supply, threaded rod, delrin blocks and a few other items. I had the plans for the machine at one time. They listed the Sigma steppers and a list of all material. The machine used aluminum angle with bearing mounted on it for the linear rails. It was a simple machine to do simple work.

I still have the steppers, power supply, handful of bearings and threaded rod.

What I want is a simple CNC to cut out foam and balsa for R/C planes. It does not have to be a giant do everything machine. Should I just toss the steppers I have and start with newer motors and power supply?

I have been searching on here for the old plans but I have not found them. It was a moving gantry design that had a cutting area of 24" by 48" Is there a link to old plans or an archive of them some place I have not found yet?

What I have found in my search for knowledge is that the software has improved greatly since my last venture. The cost is also lower then it was. Now I feel is the time to get into this CNC cutting again.

Any help you can offer will be great appreciated.

Buzz

Have you looked at the JGRO design, or Joe's CNC ? The threads are here

JGRO Router Table Design - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Joes CNC Model 2006 - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Many have built these, and your requirements are fairly light so MDF construction would probably work. Not knowing the steppers that you have, but they can probably be adapted.

Good luck!

Thanks for the links. I have been reading until I thought my head was going to explode.

There is so much information on this board. I have come up with a few ideas on what I think I can build. Not sure if I can yet. Still looking and learning.

Dru.