586,129 active members*
2,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best controller for laser?

I have started the project, just purchased a 60 watt tube and supply , optics , laser head ect. My next step is to find a controller for the machine.
    Here are some of the controllers that I am considering
    Full spectrum, link motion and the dsp controller

What I like about Full Spectrum:
    Seems to be little work to prepare send an image to the engraver, I really like the idea of a print driver that can be used from any program. Quality of work looks great from what I can tell from some of the pictures floating around ( aztec calendar)
    Things I would like to know about full spectrum:
    Can the user change the DPI?
    Where are all the setup menus for the laser
    Does it need a breakout card between the drives and the retina engrave
    I am having a hard time in general understanding all the features of retina engrave.

Link motion: I like the customer service for one, I spent about a half hour on the phone the other day and the service was great. All of the features of the software were explained in detail. I like how linkmotion also has a print driver. I like the idea of a laser setup menu where the system can be tuned as the laser power becomes less over time. The software can be used in two ways, one where it uses the space off the material to accelerate or decelerate and all of the dots are made at a constant velocity. Mode two, the laser does not go off of the material and the dots are calculated for the acceleration and deceleration times.
    I dont like how it ties up the computer while it does a job but they said the usb version is being released soon!

DSP controller

I really like How the unit is stand alone and does not require a computer to run. Jobs can be saved at the machine for future use. The machine has a user interface to jog the laser and control other features.

Now for all of your opinions please.
    What do you like or dislike about these controllers ?
    Are there other controllers that I should consider as well?
    90% of my work will be high speed rastering , Which controller will work best for this application?
    Which controllers will work with Photoengrave?

Look forward to your feedback!

Thank you!

Take a look at some of the comparisons made on this site. buildlog.net • View topic - Commercially available laser controllers

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Take a look at some of the comparisons made on this site. buildlog.net • View topic - Commercially available laser controllers

Tweakie.
    I went through the posts , that is a great link. It looks to me that the DSP controller is the way to go for all of us building a DIY laser, I would like to try the retina engrave because I think the quality of rastering is fantastic but there is no support for the DIY guy

This is my post on the FSE forums maybe someone here could help

Hello,

I would like to use Retina engrave for a DIY laser engraver I am putting together. I am using servo motors and drivers and am not sure what exactly I need to order from full spectrum. I know I need the retina engrave USB card. Do I need the mach card? Do I need a generic breakout card between the retina usb card and the drives or can I connect the servo drives directly to the Retina usb card?
    Other questions
    ( Please verify , I have read on one of the forums that some of the parameters such as acceleration can be changed in an xml file?)
    I have also read that a retina usb card with terminals will be available soon?

Thank you , Some of the pictures floating around of materials engraved with your products sold me

austint

Re: Diy laser using full spectrum hardware and software

Postby fullspeceng » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 pm
    Currently there is no official support for machines not sold by Full Spectrum Laser LLC and our current customers are keeping us very busy.

Hopefully we will have more options in the near future.

I think the DSP is the best option too.

I also want to try the Retina but it is too early yet - they still have to resolve a couple of issues.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    I think the DSP is the best option too.

I also want to try the Retina but it is too early yet - they still have to resolve a couple of issues.

Tweakie.
    What are the issues you would like to see resolved?
    Limits?
    easier access to change parameters such as acceleration?
    terminal blocks?

I found this on the buildlog.net forums http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewto...t=270&start=10

We are also releasing an integrated controller with Euro screw plug type connectors and integrated 4 axis stepper drivers. PCBs are already ordered and should be here next week.

Using our integrated stepper chips is a much better solution. Previously we wanted to maintain compatibility with Mach3's parallel port but see no reason to do this now.

Does this mean that I cannot use the controller with servos? What about the stepper guys that already have drivers?

After having used 3 different types of controller I can say the DSP from lightobjects.com is definitely the way to go. You can engrave and cut in the same job and the speed of engraving is very good. The package is cheap and there is a pretty good forum on the website to help you get started in setting everything up.
    Marco will do a lot for you to get you up and running as soon as possible (as long as he is in the country :-) )
    He will only tolerate good information on the forums and if you want to complain, because you didn't read the manuals properly, or have some gripe about something petty then you will probably get booted. Most people there will help if possible.
    Or you can come to the "Zone" and get info if you desire.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Quote Originally Posted by MonoNeuron View Post
    After having used 3 different types of controller I can say the DSP from lightobjects.com is definitely the way to go. You can engrave and cut in the same job and the speed of engraving is very good. The package is cheap and there is a pretty good forum on the website to help you get started in setting everything up.
    Marco will do a lot for you to get you up and running as soon as possible (as long as he is in the country :-) )
    He will only tolerate good information on the forums and if you want to complain, because you didn't read the manuals properly, or have some gripe about something petty then you will probably get booted. Most people there will help if possible.
    Or you can come to the "Zone" and get info if you desire.
    I like the sound of that DSP especialy that it can engrave and cut on the same job. What's not clear to me is if that's the only thing I'd need to retrofit my Rabbit 3040 or do I also need new drives as someone says on the product review?

I don't really know about the drive side of things with the Rabbit but the DSP is just the controller and you will need stepper drives to control the motors. I don't know if the stepper drives would be easily retrofitted to the DSP or even if they can be used or not.
    Someone with a Rabbit would have to tell you that

Yes it would be necessary to replace the driver board too.

I guess you could attempt to interface to the existing driver IC's but it would be a lot easier to replace the board with a generic one.

Zax.

I'm a bit confused about what is what on this machine. Gonna go take some pictures.

The low cost GeckoDrive stepper drives would be a good choice for something like this.
    Photos are always a good idea as it gives someone a lot more info on what you have and more able to come to a definitive decision on what to do with what.

I 2nd that, the GeckoDrives offer great flexibility and are very robust.

There are cheaper options which are usually multi axis controllers, I can recommend the Xylotex boards for small CNC mills (US only).

Zax.

Red face My vote for the DSP

I have been using the DSP for several months now and really like it. Most of all, I like the ease with which I was able to convert my (formerly Moshi-based) Chinese system. In fact, I wrote a pretty detailed setup manual for the board and posted it over at the LightObject forum, just to help people get up and running as quickly as possible.

I used a couple of drivers also from LightObject - at $55 each, there are priced right and they are very well suited to the speed capabilities of the DSP. I can do photo engraving (and scanned vector engraving) on LaserTile at 150-200 mm/s at 50% power (40watt laser). Other materials, I can easily run 300-400mm/s without problems.