586,375 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > PRECISE Electric Hi Speed Jig Grinding Attachment

PRECISE Electric Hi Speed Jig Grinding Attachment

Hi all,

I just picked up a electric precise jig grinder attachment/hi speed spindle for the mill etc.
    I'm sure I will have many questions about this unit, but first off I need to get it running.
    I read some of them use a normal 110V plug , this one doesn't.
    It uses a round plug, I've seen these used to connect hi speed spindles to VFD's,
    does anyone know of the VFD that these require? I see some chinese ones on ebay
    for sale and would like to know if they would work? I haven't received the grinder
    yet, so I don't have the electrical specs.

I would like to hear any comments as well of fellow users of these precise spindles for
    micro milling and drilling (like max tool size), that is what I plan to use this for along with grinding
    occasionally. I wouldn't expect you would want to go over .0625" for milling or drilling, but I don't
    know, that's why I ask. It would be nice to know if it's capable of .005" to .125" end mill dia. range.

Ok so I just got the specs on this spindle and really would appreciate any help on finding a VFD or whatever it is I need to control this spindle.
    I am not to electrically inclined...

Serial # SC57 Precise Jig Grinder
    RPM 15,000-54,000
    Power - 0.7Kw
    Amps - 3.5 Amp
    Hz 250-900
    Volts 45-165
    Input power connector is a round plug with 4 pins, pins are in a half circle pattern.

I don't have anymore info on this unit other then that, any and all help is appreciated.

Re: PRECISE Electric Hi Speed Jig Grinding Attachment

Nobody can give me any help on this? What if I post a picture, I doubt it would be anymore help then all the specs I provided, but I don't know...
    Nobody can tell me what VFD and where to find it or what I need to get this thing going?
    The VFD's that I've seen don't go up to 900Hz, so will that limit my RPM adjustment?
    Does any one know if this is a AC or DC motor?
    I heard Precise makes a brushed DC version, but I don't know if this is or not, I still don't have the unit in hand, but I should in the next day or so.

Ebay has a 0.8Kw VFD, but it only goes from like 45-400Hz, how would that work, it's one of those chinese ones? I just don't think it would do the job, but again I don't know.

Can you post a link to where you purchased the spindle?

Thanks for the reply BHurts, but no I can't, it was through a auction that has removed the listing.
    The listing didn't have any info other then it worked and is in great condition.
    I will post pictures when I get it, aren't the electrical specs I posted good for anything?
    This isn't looking good for me, I hope I haven't dished out a wad of cash on something I won't even be able to use...
    Thanks again for the reply.

it probably will works for you...

if it has a ""modern"" inverter, then those automatically regognizing the voltage, if it were 1x220, or 2x110, or 1x110..

anyway, the inverter has manufacturer and they most likely will answer you..

if it were an older machine, then you might need to transforming ... or, if it were not possible then you might thinking on a spindle with inverter.. that cost a 300-2000

there are spindles with 1000 hz, and they are spinning 60K

that motor otherwise most likely ac motor.. brushless

spindle 60000 rpm | eBay

can you tell a little more?
    because I guessing, not sure, but looks like you purchased an ""optical"" grinder..

means, you put onto a screen a blueprints that printed onto velum and you follow the ""profile"" with two crank..

I mean the naming, jig grinder suggest it..

if it is , then you will get (most likely) attachment for, you can clamp into collet the endmills and simply sharpening them, or grinding profiles onto..
    imagine a regular woodworker bit like ogee...

ok

it is my poor English knowledge..
    sorry

this equipment is as we call it "" orbital grinder"" I know it not perfect translation.. but it is..

I don't think it need any special modification.. in the worst situation probably anther transformator..

motor can be rewinded.. in case if it were burnt..

on ebay a few picture about this..
    pictures show the plate 220 volt single phase

1998 Precise SC 56 Z Fixed Centerline Spindle 15K 54K RPM W PVSF1 Controller | eBay

by the way.. what type of work or task you plan with this?

because simply drilling holes, a spindle is sufficient..
    this equipment is for grinding.. ..

Thank you Victor for the response.
    The only other things I know about this unit is it has the criterion boring head attachment and it says
    you can use a maximum 3/8" end mill. I didn't get this off ebay, but I did look on there for info and didn't
    come across the one you posted. The serial number on the one I bought is SC57, but the RPM, Hz, and round 4 pin plug
    are the exact same as the one I purchased. I don't want to modify this unit at all, the one you showed me
    has a controller, I don't have a controller or inverter

So my question is what do I need to power this on and control it?
    Is a inverter what I need?
    If so what inverter? I'm not a electrician.
    I know this is a jig grinding attachment, I assume it's mainly for ID grinding,
    but I have heard about people using small end mills and drills in them.
    I don't plan on using any end mill 3/8" in it, I think it would be to much side
    load for this unit, but I did plan on using micro end mills and drills between
    .005" or so to 1/16" .0625 an maybe end mills up to 1/8" or so. I also did
    plan on using it in a cnc mill and a manual mill for bore grinding and maybe
    profile grinding for tool and die applications if possible.
    Do you think my drilling/milling range will wear the bearings out faster and ruin the accuracy
    of this part?
    Other high speed spindles with this RPM I've noticed they spec them for
    the following applications: jig grinding, micro drilling, micro milling, and milling
    up to 3/8" which I don't consider micro.

Thank you again Victor!

with this adapeter you wont mill like the machine head can do..

it is for very tiny tools this tool made in the 80's when hsd spindles were very unique..
    many folks going with airgrinders, because engraving with a 0.3 mm tip theres no force need... only speed..

well. if you purchased it already you can use.. as I read somewhere, it can be used for engraving..

this unit you going to chuck into your spindle.. but you don't turn on the machine spindle.. likely you make g code S 000 ,,, zero

this unit will spin..

the box what shown that is the vfd .. it might not same like the many you can see everywhere..

but.. knowing what power used by this spindle, you can possible buy a 1.5 kw inverter and drive this motor.. with inverter you can drive 3 phase motor.. all spindles are 3 phase..

I cant describe you how it works, but I know variating frequency that only way is with 3 phase..
    so this motor roughly same than any spindle you buying..

tekno or Chinese.. and by this you can use virtually any inverter .. if motor 700 watt.. I think go for a 1.5 kw invert sure power is sufficient..

but I think the stuff you purchased it works.. it just too big for the purpose.. there are already smaller and better solutions..

if you were grinding shapes then this is the tool you need.. in small holes you can only barely grinding out material.. I mean in small holes 1/2 in or smaller..
    you tube has a lot video..

I almost forget.. the manufacturer still exist.. of course they already making different of this.. but I think it worth to ask some help from them

Precise Products Home Page

I think they answer you how you can hook your equipment on power..

What do you mean smaller better solutions and to big my purpose?
    Engraving I did plan on doing with it whenever needed, but I really wanted it
    for milling small slots between say .3mm and up to 1/8" you say and cutting
    real small corner radius's in pockets. Drilling micro holes under 1/16" and jig
    grinding. What attracted me to this is that I can put it right in the spindle bore
    vs's having something hanging off the side, second is that it's electric and not
    air.
    I don't understand what your saying in regards to my application and how
    it will perform?

Thanks again Victor

I saw that also that chucking in simpler than mounting a spindle..

milling with small I mean under 1mm it might works.. but for a 1/8 bit it might too far from the machine spindle..

because it is not simply a motor encased but theres a ""slider"" .. what reducing its rigidity..

it yielding really with grinding, and engraving when you use the v bits.. very small tools that has no force.. and need very high speed due their diameter..
    when I say smaller I mean indeed a more compact something..

but all above is only theory till you try it.. hope you can get working this.. and post your experiment, so others can benefit of..

I've never used one before, but that slider doesn't lock down?

notch topper

it will work.. I just concerning about the rigidity...
    I think the power also should work for you..

if the original vfd doesn't work, then you can go with a modern vfd..

I don't think you need a VFD for those; they're single-phase induction motors that are usually speed-controlled with Pulse Width Modulation, which is a lot simpler. But there are other ways to do it; here's an article from Design News that talks about them: Design News - Features - Three Ways to Control a Single-Phase Induction Motor
    Andrew Werby
    Website

the posted control is a frequency converter,, as frequency raised the rpm rising accordingly..

some more description about..
    Precise PVSF 2 Adjustable Frequency Converter Spindle Controller Drive 328381 for Sale - Knoppix.net

this was designed long time ago.. probably around 80's

I have an old Precise spindle that's simpler than that one and uses a PWM controller, but looking at the specs on the one under discussion here I think Victor's right - it will need a VFD for speed control.
    Andrew Werby
    Website